Shocking response to a complaint about tax fraud

WonnabeBiker

Several teachers I know have never bothered to file tax returns. Walking away from 5-digit tax refunds. My last school promised to handle the tax returns for all foreigners. In the past, this has worked out (some reported getting "a few hundred Baht"). 

The official deadline is in March? They said, they would do it "in Summer". It never happened.

All efforts, to get the tax forms have been in vain. Angry and desperate for the refund, I complained to OPEC. 

Tonight, they emailed a response.

It's so bizarre, I wonder what to make of it? The issue at hand is the tax reporting. Just as a reminder. 

They e,ailed me my contract and all the gross salaries of the foreign teachers at the school. Interesting. ** Then they reported that because of me being some bad dude, who couldn't get a B-Visa, my tax complaint has been labeled as a hoax. <deleted>?!? I got a B-Visa and the author of this letter needs to stay on topic. Alas, he never thought about his own tax affairs, the need to file a tax return? The document the Revenue Department wants? 

They walk among us.

The local RD told me, schools have to submit tax payments "monthly". If they did it dutifully, why can't they hand over the confirmations If not, I would rush to make those payments and be done with.

TBH, it's a sweet little racket - who wouldn't like to file tax returns for colleagues, pocketing about 95%.

Others will know more, but isn't there a possibility of having to prove you are clear with taxes, before you can leave?  Same with cancelling your visa/wp?

As mentioned, the scam is them deducting and putting it in their pocket.  Part of the toxic environment of people working illegally, on mostly false promises.  You have to complain so much to get legal, that you get fired.

Edited by moontang

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2020 at 6:18 PM, moontang said:

Others will know more, but isn't there a possibility of having to prove you are clear with taxes, before you can leave?  Same with cancelling your visa/wp?

As mentioned, the scam is them deducting and putting it in their pocket.  Part of the toxic environment of people working illegally, on mostly false promises.  You have to complain so much to get legal, that you get fired.

That was done away with in the early 90s.

March is not the deadline. I don my taxes in April, when it is quiet. I pay 100 baht fine.

I got my return three weeks ago..even reused the same ktb 

cardfrom last time

It remembered my uncollected 30 THB from last year...had 1680..they told me I could not add to it to make an even amount..I called BS and put them on the phone..20 THB later.i was able to get 1700.

Edited by moontang

20 hours ago, Neeranam said:

March is not the deadline. I don my taxes in April, when it is quiet. I pay 100 baht fine.

Semantics no.......? January to March is the official filing period. If you file later than you pay a (very small) fine.  

Get yourself along to the tax department with your tax file number, passport (B visa) & your 

pay slips 

& ask them how much paid in.

They are very helpful. Once you have this answer you can decide if wish to have a go 

at them for fraud,,,,,,,,your choice.

If they have paid it ONLY you can get the  refund

21 hours ago, Neeranam said:

That was done away with in the early 90s.

False information.

Check the websites for the deadline, end of march.

If you choose to declare late thats your decision.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/25/2020 at 10:42 PM, FritsSikkink said:

"it's a sweet little racket - who wouldn't like to file tax returns for colleagues, pocketing about 95%"

They can't pocket tax returns. 

You either get it in your account via PROMPT pay or you need to go to the bank with the tax letter, your passport and your work permit.

I got 19,000 sent straight to my bank account. I don't have prompt.

On 3/12/2020 at 10:20 AM, jojothai said:

False information.

Check the websites for the deadline, end of march.

If you choose to declare late thats your decision.

I've done it late for many years, so it's not false information.

My 3 years from 2015-2017 were even accepted by the Special Branch police and the Ministry of Interior for getting Thai citizenship. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/31/2020 at 1:03 PM, Neeranam said:

I've done it late for many years, so it's not false information.

My 3 years from 2015-2017 were even accepted by the Special Branch police and the Ministry of Interior for getting Thai citizenship. 

Please can I ask, what salary did they expect you to be earning?  Many thanks.