Relocation visa requirements

Hi

i am a retired civil service member living  in the UK

I have met a guy in Thailand who is from the UK and going through divorce from his Thai wife

He has a retirement extension together with the required financial deposit in a Thai Bank

It is our intention to marry so are we able to join forces in order to meet the legal requirements in Thailand

I can't see an actual question in the first post, it's more a statement about intentions. Perhaps the heading is meant to ask about an appropriate  visa.

Querying where and how to get married doesn't seem to be part of that post.

Perhaps the OP could write again and actual ask what she requires from the stalwarts in the visa forum.

Edited by Old Croc

So you shall leave again once married, and then come back to Thailand as a dependant, using his already in place 800000THB? (I'll leave it to the experts to comment)

At least the PCSPS is in the UK double tax treaty (gov service). One advantage!

Edited by UKresonant

35 minutes ago, Lotusflower6 said:

Sorry for being unclear

I would like to  know what Visa I need from the UK to enable me to convert to a retirement extension and use my future husband 800,000THB as a dependent 

Short answer is any Visa or even a Visa exempt can be converted in-country to a Retirement extensions as long as your > 50 years old but if you use your future husband's 800K for your retirement visa/extension then what will he use for his (especially as nowadays he needs to maintain 800K for at least 5 months & 400K for the other 7)? 

If you mean you would like to get a Non-O Dependant visa on the back of your Husband having a Non-O "Retirement" Visa, then again you can enter on any Visa (or Visa Exempt) to do this, or do it in the UK before moving over, but it's my understanding that you also need to have 800K in the bank (i.e. you would need to have 1.6Million for the 2 of you). 

I tried Google to see if I could confirm this & couldn't find anything (so am probably wrong) but what I did find is this...

Thai Dependent Visa Application

Just to be clear, your dependents constitute your immediate relatives such as your spouse, children and parents. In particular, the following long term visa holders are qualified to sponsor their dependents to come and stay with them in Thailand:

• – Holders of  business visas with valid work permits;
  • Holders of retirement visas. The dependent though should be younger than 50 years old (or)
  • – Otherwise, the applicant will be advised to obtain a retirement visa;
  • – Holders of Non O visas for people working in foundations and charities with valid work permits.

https://gam-legalalliance.com/bringing-your-dependents-to-stay-with-you-in-thailand/

Which suggests that if you are > 50, they will look to you to get your own Non-O "Retirement" Visa and so would need your own 800K.

7 hours ago, Lotusflower6 said:

Sorry for being unclear

I would like to  know what Visa I need from the UK to enable me to convert to a retirement extension and use my future husband 800,000THB as a dependent 

The requirement is a Non-Imm Visa.  

It would be easiest to arrive with a Non-Imm-O 

(If it is the case that you can't combine using the 800000THB already here, if you like flying just keep visiting for 89 days at a time initially on SE non-O visas. Makes things so much simpler at the UK and Thai locations).

I would just like to comment that the Thai immigration regulations appear to be built on foundations of shifting sands. It may look stable structure, but the foundation detail and way it is applied appears to have become increasingly unpredictable over the last 15 months or so....especially if from the UK, (USA, & Australia).

Edited by UKresonant

7 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Which suggests that if you are > 50, they will look to you to get your own Non-O "Retirement" Visa and so would need your own 800K.

False info. A family member does not have to be less than 50 to get an extension of stay.

See: https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_20  An extension of stay based upon retirement is 2.22.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

The requirement is a Non-Imm Visa.  

It would be easiest to arrive with a Non-Imm-O 

Without a non-o visa to entering when first arriving they would have to go to a nearby embassy or consulate to get a single entry non-o visa. Immigration does not issue a non immigrant visa (category O) for family members of a person on a visa or extension based upon retirement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

False info. A family member does not have to be less than 50 to get an extension of stay.

See: https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_20  An extension of stay based upon retirement is 2.22.

I never said that they did, what I quoted was a legal website which suggested that if they were over 50 then Immigration might  look to the "Dependant" to get their own Non-O VIsa on the basis of being over 50 & so will need to individually meet the finance criteria... 

Can you please confirm whether a Dependant can "Ride the coat tails" of the Visa holder without any additional financial requirements or will the wife also need to have 800K  

Edited by Mike Teavee

4 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

I never said that they did, what I actually said (and you quoted) was... 

What was written certainly implies it might not be possible.

It is still false and/or misleading info from that website.

Just now, ubonjoe said:

What was written certainly implies it might not be possible.

It is still false and/or misleading info from that website.

Fair do's & I edited my post as I  misunderstood your 1st reply.

So can a Spouse "Ride the Coattails" of their partner & the two only need 800K in the Bank to cover both Visas?

That doesn't make any logical sense to me, but TiT...

4 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

So can a Spouse "Ride the Coattails" of their partner & the two only need 800K in the Bank to cover both Visas?

Yes

Look at the link I posted earlier.

It can  be the spouse, children and even their parents if they are over 50.

8 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

That doesn't make any logical sense to me, but TiT...

it is not that unusual for family members to be able to stay without meeting any special requirements for stays in other countries.

If you look at the link you will see that there are 14 other reasons for an extension of stay whose family members can get the same extension.

11 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes

Look at the link I posted earlier.

It can  be the spouse, children and even their parents if they are over 50.

I couldn't see any reference to financial requirements in the link you provided so by their absence I'm assuming there are none (on the "Dependant")... You learn something new everyday.... 

Still doesn't make sense to me that one couple needs 1.6Million in their account & the other only 800K with the only difference between the 2 being a piece of paper (which from the way the OP was written seems to be being obtained solely to take advantage of this fact), but them's the rules (for now).

20 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

it is not that unusual for family members to be able to stay without meeting any special requirements for stays in other countries.

I can't think of any countries where family members (or the person sponsoring them) don't have to meet special requirements to bring their Spouses over (Certainly UK & USA have minimum finance limits that have to be met, in the case of the UK this increases if your Wife has children that are not UK citizens) 

Again, it doesn't make sense to me that the Thai government has decided 800K is the amount that a Single Retiree needs to live on but 2 Retirees can live on the same amount if they have a magic piece of paper 

[NB I do understand the logic of 400K if married to a Thai as they can work to get additional income and have access to social medical care etc.... but 2 non-Thai's can't work & don't have access).

Again, them's the rules so I'll just scratch/shake my head & put it in the box with the rest of the stuff that makes no logical sense to me ???? 

4 minutes ago, Lotusflower6 said:

Thank you everyone who took the time to respond.

Everything is much clearer and it seems to get my Single entry Tourist Visa from the UK is the way forward. ???? Then exit the kingdom and get a single entry non 0 visa From Ventiana. 

If your Husband already has his Non-O (or Non-OA, though I'd recommend the Non-O), you should be able to get your Non-O Dependant before you leave the UK.

However, I did see in an earlier post that you may get married in Thailand, if this is after you've left the UK then Vientiane (Laos) is one option, please ensure you book an appointment online a few weeks before going so as to avoid disappointment, you will not get into the Embassy without an appointment & they tend to be booked out a couple of weeks in advance.

Ho Chi Minh & Penang are also good other options for Non-O's, as is Savannakhet (also Laos) & these do not require prior appointments, I suggest you research the best place to go for your personal circumstances, @ubonjoeis the man when it comes to upto date recommendations as the best places to visit for your particular circumstances. 

Good Luck with your upcoming wedding, getting your Visa, & your future retirement to Thailand ????

• Like 1