Khon Kaen University: 59 returnees from S.Korea isolated as two new COVID-19 confirmed

webfact

59 returnees from S.Korea isolated as two new COVID-19 confirmed

000_1OH98R.jpg

File photo

Fifty-nine students and staff of Khon Kaen University have been quarantined at their lodgings for observation for 14 days after two of them were found to have a high fever after their return from South Korea.

The university administration said the two students were tested for COVID-19 infection at the Srinakharin Hospital in the campus, but their results were negative.

The administration added that, for safety’s sake, all 59 of them were told to take leave at their lodgings and to remain there for the 14-day mandatory period.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/59-returnees-from-s-korea-isolated-as-two-new-covid-19-confirmed/

thaipbs.jpg
  • Like 1

So, the questions this brings to my mind is: "What about passengers transiting through South Korea to here in Thailand", Will they be asked to self quarantine like those that have visited the other 6 asian countries?

Edited by ThailandRyan

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Fifty-nine students and staff of Khon Kaen University have been quarantined at their lodgings for observation for 14 days after two of them were found to have a high fever after their return from South Korea.

how does staying home work with TAT's plan for Thais to travel more to make up for the lack of foreign tourists? 

good luck everybody

I have had my flight connecting through Korea cancelled twice so far. Going to try a new route today.

So far I have had three cancellations for the same trip (first time through China), all due to Wuhan flu. Right now I have a trip through Taiwan to leave Thailand, but no return ticket anymore.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Fifty-nine students and staff of Khon Kaen University have been quarantined at their lodgings for observation for 14 days after two of them were found to have a high fever after their return from South Korea

They were tested.... "obviously found to be negative" but told to isolate themselves "just for safety sake" ??

Doesn't add up?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Orton Rd said:

That's 39 then now at least

35 cases for ages, and what do you know. Several Countries making noises about Thailands ability to control, and to publish clear Covid19 stats, and suddenly there are 4 new cases ( at least ) in 2 days.

Well who would have thought that.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

59 returnees from S.Korea isolated as two new COVID-19 confirmed

7 hours ago, webfact said:

two students were tested for COVID-19 infection at the Srinakharin Hospital in the campus, but their results were negative.

I don't have my stupid hat on today but the headline of this thread and the OP story itself seem to contradict each other. What gives?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, hotchilli said:

They were tested.... "obviously found to be negative" but told to isolate themselves "just for safety sake" ??

Doesn't add up?

Because recent history has shown that people who have the virus can test negative for it until the actual symptoms are well advanced in some cases.

An initial negative test is no real proof of being clear of CV... just one indicator of status.  The quarantine time allows them to either continue to be healthy, which is the best case, or to have their health begin to deteriorate -- but in either case not being a risk to others.

3 hours ago, Bundooman said:

And knowing full well how Thais take advice kindly - who is going to enforce all these self-isolating potentially infected people?

What happens if one or more decide to party out somewhere? Who will stop them?

Who actually does that?

Some will take it seriously as they should. But this place being what it is, others will probably end up at pubs, restaurants, malls, etc during their supposed quarantine time thinking "It won't affect me" because I'm wearing my amulet, etc etc.