Bike Breakdown.

NoshowJones

On 2/27/2020 at 12:38 PM, BritManToo said:

Sounds unlikely.

Sudden and immediate mysterious faults are always electrical.

Mechanical faults either appear slowly, or after a loud bang and a cloud of smoke.

It could be a misunderstanding about the fuel pump/ oil pump, as no one at the Honda garage speaks English, and they had to confer with my wife on the phone and she has to confer with me. Remember this is up country, my wife knew no English at all when I met her, yet she is very highly educated and was in full time education until she was 22.

Edited by possum1931

On 2/27/2020 at 8:04 AM, possum1931 said:

What has really upset me about this is that the bike has never missed a service, was always running very well, no sign that anything could be wrong, then without any warning, the engine just stopped.

There is only 37000 Ks on the clock over 5 years, I always thought that especially with Honda, a well serviced bike would go on and on for a lot more than 37000 Ks.

You were right though, it was a fuel problem, and the oil pump etc has to get replaced.

I have to say I am very surprised at your saddo Bill.

On 2/28/2020 at 9:07 AM, guzzi850m2 said:

It could be a dirty fuel tank, going over the ridge and some of it ended in the fuel pump.

Don't know if it has a filter fitted somewhere?

Yes, what you are saying makes a lot of sense.

It's pretty easy to diagnose. First, take your spark plug out, put it in the cap and hold it against the engine/ chassis. If there's no spark, take the spark plug cap off and try it again.

Without a cap, the spark should jump at least 0.5 cm and should be bright violetish.

If you've got a spark, then take anything like a syringe, tube, etc.. , take the spark plug out, fill about 5 ml of fuel in the cylinder, put the plug back in, and start.

The spark plug tells you a lot about your engine. The color should be light brown to bronze. If it's black, the engine gets too much gasoline. 

If the engine runs, it's fuel related, clogged filter, fuel pump, an electrical connection at the fuel pump, or battery.

No idea why they want to sell you a new battery.

One possibility is the Electronic Device that might not function and produce a spark if the voltage drops a lot. You should read 12.5 volts at your battery. 

Spark plugs often die, and it's pretty easy to change them/ 
I've just recently bought a 20 Ah battery for my 1100 Virago and only paid 1,500 baht.

I don't care if it's a brand, Honda or Yamaha do not produce batteries. They buy them, put their name on, and resell them.

Attached a photo what a healthy spark plug should look like. 

Front plug II.jpg

Edited by Isaanbiker
  • Thanks 1

1100 / 1200 about right for a Battery from any decent Supply shop, or online.

Just quickly go around all the plastic connectors on the Ignition loom and push them in to make sure they havnt popped out.

Sometimes the" tang " that holds them in securely breaks off with age.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

It could be a misunderstanding about the fuel pump/ oil pump, as no one at the Honda garage speaks English, and they had to confer with my wife on the phone and she has to confer with me. Remember this is up country, my wife knew no English at all when I met her, yet she is very highly educated and was in full time education until she was 22.

You guys are a bit late,  read the posts,  Honda has fixed the bike...

Can you tell us how much was total Honda garage bill for fixing this...!?

Edited by Agusts

56 minutes ago, Agusts said:

You guys are a bit late,  read the posts,  Honda has fixed the bike...

Can you tell us how much was total Honda garage bill for fixing this...!?

Hard to tell because I bought two new tyres, bike was still on original tyres, a battery, and got the filters changed and 4000 K service which I wanted them to do anyway. The bill was 14.108 Bt for everything and is all in Thai which I can't read.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

Hard to tell because I bought two new tyres, bike was still on original tyres, a battery, and got the filters changed and 4000 K service which I wanted them to do anyway. The bill was 14.108 Bt for everything and is all in Thai which I can't read.

what is 14.108 baht? not 14,108 baht i hope

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

what is 14.108 baht? not 14,108 baht i hope

Sorry typo. Yes 14.180 Baht. I still have a note of the individual costs, but it is in Thai.

I bought the bike from Brian at Sumet in Nothanburi. I will be in Bangkok through the week and see him about it.

He will know if I have been done or not.

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Sorry typo. Yes 14.180 Baht. I still have a note of the individual costs, but it is in Thai.

I bought the bike from Brian at Sumet in Nothanburi. I will be in Bangkok through the week and see him about it.

He will know if I have been done or not.

14k ..... you gotta be joking, that's everything replaced except the frame!

It's only 6k for a complete engine rebuild.

46 minutes ago, johng said:

If Brian is still there can you ask him to check his e-mails ...maybe he just doesn't like me ?

I have never had a problem with him answering my emails. did you send them to Brian personally?

Maybe it was his staff that didn't answer them.

Well, 14k baht is not so bad for extras plus the repair, because he said he did 4k service, and 4k battery, and two tires, Not sure maybe 4k for two tires, so 2k to change fuel pump and all the labour, so fair enough...

Though I would have tried to save a bit here and there, but the bike is now set for another 12k km until next service. Happy riding... ????

• Thanks 1

I'm not surprised things might be missed, the service at the Honda dealerships have always been less than stellar for me. I guess your mileage may vary obviously by locations but.

every time I went for an oil change, I wanted them to do a checkup (check chain and whatnot) - mostly on a Honda Wave which they charged maybe 100-150 baht extra to do.

but they would always change the oil and then give me the bike back, never mind the checkup! seems the mechanics didn't care to do it because they don't get extra money for the "extra" work, the dealership does.

that happened about 3-4 times but only once I gave them some <deleted> for it cause I could hear some slight clanging inside the gear/chain box (I don't know the term - maybe loose chain)

told him about it, they called the mechanic (almost no English spoken there) who took the bike for a 500 meters drive and then said "everything OK!"

to me, they always seemed to do less than half of the things that were listed to check/replace in the maintenance book but hey I'm not a mechanic.