Video: 'Jazz woman' says she was in the right, blames truck driver and intends to fight case

webfact

21 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

All 3 lanes are same direction traffic, right?

The left lane is therefor the slow lane and the truck is trying to overtake the Jazz on the left (wrong) side.

She might have a chance to win this case.

Lame excuse, you've never had a slow moving vehicle in fast lane and pass on the left? Won't fly.

7 hours ago, Victornoir said:

No.

1-31 Jazz had just entered the right lane via a U-turn. 1-31
1-17 The truck sees it. He must slow down to give time to regain the left lane but he chooses to force through the left.
1-15 A car is parked on this lane. The truck realizes that it will not have space to pass.
1-13 He then changes course and decides at the last moment to pass jazz on the right. But it rolls too fast and overturns.

In this case there are several errors, faulty turn signal and maneuver too slow for jazz. Black car parked in the left lane.
But the major responsibility lies with the truck which does not slow down in front of an obstacle, tries to force the passage on the left, maneuver prohibited by the road code including the Thai code, (Section 45, 400 -1000 B) and finally loses control because too high speed.

We can express feelings of regret or indignation at the casual attitude of the Jazz driver but in terms of law the truck driver is entirely at fault.

no, he has the right of way in his lane,

you cant have a general principle where vehicles are allowed to cut lanes

when its occupied, such a system can not ever work

Edited by brokenbone
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

While he has workers in his open cabine that he doesn’t gives a <deleted> about. He’s the moron. he wanted to do everything  except to lower his speed. 

there was nothing in this scenario that cause reason for him to lower speed,

he assumed she would follow traffic regulations, but she didnt

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Blimey; that means that for 40 (accident-free) years I must have been doing it wrong, lol ????

if you think making a signal gives you right of way,

then you are not currently fit to operate a vehicle on public roads.

i think they have that brain dead system in philippines,

but that is also the only nation that doesnt use common sense

about right of way

Edited by brokenbone

One thing that has not been mentioned - something that seems to apply to a lot of Thai drivers is that inexplicacle desire to keep moving without assessing the situation. The truck driver comes up on a slow moving vehicle and his first thought is to pass her on the left.

How many times have you been on the motorway or expressway and the traffic stops - immediately these drivers dive left on to the hard shoulder/margin (or whatever its called in your country)? They never think there may be an accident in front with someone receiving first aid at the roadside - they just seem to have this crazy need to keep moving.

I used to stop to let people come out of a difficult junction until I realised that I was likely to cause an accident because other drivers would not stop. I also used to stop at pedestrian crossings until I realised I was most likely putting pedestrians at risk for the same reason.

I live on a quiet-ish country lane. If the road behind me is clear, I often pull to the right and then reverse into my driveway when I arrive home. On numerous occasions I've had some idiot come up behind me and try to pass by squeezing between me and my driveway whilst I'm reversing - maniacs!

A couple of years ago I was on an ordinary road near Buriram when the traffic in front of me stopped. I had at least 5 cars in front so I couldn't see why they stopped. Right on queue, two morons in pick ups roared down the inside of me in the motorbike lane and I heard a bang. The traffic had stopped because a slow vehicle was turning left - the first pick up hit that vehicle side on and the second one ran up the back of the first.  They were travelling at high speed and the carnage was awful. I don't know if anyone died but for sure there were serious injuries.

Whether its on a motorway, reversing into your driveway on a quiet country lane or just a normal road - these people just don't have the mentality to wait.  They don't have overhead vision, they have no idea what the hazard is but they just seem to have to keep going.

I think this is a similar situation - the truck driver has no idea what the loonatic in the Honda is doing and he doesn't seem to care - he just has to keep moving, he must pass.  He probably thinks she's just doing another one of those crazy Thai driving practices - going slowly in the outside lane until she moves to the left and he then swerves right instigating the roll.

I still think they are both guilty of dangerous driving. The Honda driver should have gone to the next junction and done a u-turn if she'd missed her turn. Its utter madness to cut across 2 lanes but the truck is responsible for the accident. Its just the mentality of many Thai drivers - never assess what's going on, just keep going.

• Like 2

Just watched the video again - its possible to see things a different way. It could be that this woman just cuts the truck up and causes that accident.  To be really sure of what happened you'd need a head on camera view that showed exactly which lane both vehicles are in at all times.

One thing that is for sure, the truck is travelling at a hell of a speed. Obviously I have no idea how fast but I believe a truck is limited to 60kmh (possibly 80) on that type or road. I'd stake money he's far in excess of that.

@khaoyai: if you are hellbent of cutting lanes in the reverse on a highway,

be sure there is no oncoming traffic, cause they have no idea what you are up to.

secondly you admit you have no clue how fast the truck was going,

but in the same breath state you are sure he was driving at a hell of a speed,

its as contradicting as crossing lanes in the reverse and demanding

traffic flow should make a halt for you practicing reverse driving and logic.

right of way is a fundamental construction of traffic regulation,

no amount of fiddling with the rest can make up for that basic theorem,

you cant allow traffic to cut others and get away with it,

the reaction time to respond to such madness shrinks to zero.

Edited by brokenbone

39 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

@khaoyai: if you are hellbent of cutting lanes in the reverse on a highway,

be sure there is no oncoming traffic, cause they have no idea what you are up to

Are you refering to my comment about reversing into my driveway? If so, I don't think you fully understand - my driveway is on a narrow country lane. My driveway is about 20m after turning right into that road from the main road. I approach my house, if there is no traffic I pull over to the right and then reverse up my drive. There is nothing dangerous about that and I prefer to reverse into my drive because I then don't have to reverse out - which can be tricky.

However, sometimes cars and bikes also turn into the lane after I've pulled to the right, instead of waiting for me to reverse up my drive, they often try to squeeze past me between the car and the house - understand now?

39 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

secondly you admit you have no clue how fast the truck was going,

but in the same breath state you are sure he was driving at a hell of a speed,

its as contradicting as crossing lanes in the reverse and demanding

traffic flow should make a halt for you practicing reverse driving and logic.

Yes, I could not state the precise speed of the truck but one of the experiences you gain from driving is the ability to estimate how fast a vehicle is travelling - in relation to any maneuver you may be making.  You need that skill to be able to know if its safe to pull out into a major road from a minor one for example. If you can't estimate speed, I hope you don't drive.

The video appears to be playing at normal speed and it seems quite clear that the truck is travelling pretty fast. You may be aware of this but in most circumstances, trucks and other commercial vehicles are limited to a lesser speed than cars - because they carry loads.

I don't really understand what you are talking about on either item. Have you never encountered the impatience of Thai drivers that I refer to in post #99?

Edited by KhaoYai

51 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Are you refering to my comment about reversing into my driveway? If so, I don't think you fully understand - my driveway is on a narrow country lane. My driveway is about 20m after turning right into that road from the main road. I approach my house, if there is no traffic I pull over to the right and then reverse up my drive. There is nothing dangerous about that and I prefer to reverse into my drive because I then don't have to reverse out - which can be tricky.

However, sometimes cars and bikes also turn into the lane after I've pulled to the right, instead of waiting for me to reverse up my drive, they often try to squeeze past me between the car and the house - understand now?

Yes, I could not state the precise speed of the truck but one of the experiences you gain from driving is the ability to estimate how fast a vehicle is travelling - in relation to any maneuver you may be making.  You need that skill to be able to know if its safe to pull out into a major road from a minor one for example. If you can't estimate speed, I hope you don't drive.

The video appears to be playing at normal speed and it seems quite clear that the truck is travelling pretty fast. You may be aware of this but in most circumstances, trucks and other commercial vehicles are limited to a lesser speed than cars - because they carry loads.

I don't really understand what you are talking about on either item. Have you never encountered the impatience of Thai drivers that I refer to in post #99?

i estimate the truck travel at legal speed,

he fully expect that woman to drive legal so he carry on,

its just passing a driver that for whatever reason is slowing down,

then out of the blue the driver in the car cuts him at the moment

when there is no time to react at all, at that precise time the accident

is unavoidable, he must have understood that but chose

to put himself in jeopardy instead of hitting her.

it really should be taught in traffic school that if an accident is inevitable,

it is better to hit the object if the object carries less weight then the driver,

then trying to take a futile evasive action

On 2/26/2020 at 10:27 AM, webfact said:

The 30 year old Thai woman caught cutting across a six wheel truck to make a left turning has claimed that her driving was fine. 

And this is exactly why Thailand will remain at the top of the Most Dangerous Roads in the World.  
Show her the video and her slowing down in the middle of a divided highway and cutting across traffic is completely normal driving in Thailand - and she is right!!!  Not yielding the right-of-way is normal for most Thai drivers - therefore it must be the correct way to drive!!!
In fact, does Thailand even have "right-of-way" laws?  I don't think so.  ????
Anyway, it must be the truck's fault.  A lowly truck doesn't have the status of a Honda!  What on earth was the truck driver thinking having the audacity of driving on the same road at the same time as her???

Edited by connda

On 2/26/2020 at 10:46 AM, colinneil said:

Says nothing wrong with her driving !!

And just wait for the court to agree with her.  Really, come on.  The killed and injured were just Burmese.  No big deal.  She's Thai, she has a Honda.....TIT....
It really doesn't matter.  This story will disappear in the memory hole by tomorrow.

On 2/26/2020 at 12:15 PM, brokenbone said:

agreed, and hard too

I do not agree. I did not intend to suggest he should have ploughed into the Jazz with malice. But because it was the best solution for all involved. But he had a split second to make a decision and it looks like his reactions took over.

12 hours ago, brokenbone said:

it really should be taught in traffic school that if an accident is inevitable,

it is better to hit the object if the object carries less weight then the driver

Especially if they're going in the same direction.

1 hour ago, Farangwithaplan said:

I do not agree. I did not intend to suggest he should have ploughed into the Jazz with malice. But because it was the best solution for all involved. But he had a split second to make a decision and it looks like his reactions took over.

it was when an old biker told me, that if a dog run in front of me,

i should rather accelerate to forcefully push it away,

then try to take evasive action.

i was pondering his suggestion for months and realized he was spot on,

it works too, the problem is our instinct to take evasive action even tho we

fully recognize its not going to work

Well there is the little problem of the extra mass of a car rather than a dog..

I am an old biker, too.. and I can explain why your old biker friend would say such a thing.

When you accelerate on a bike the rear suspension squats and the front gets lighter. A dog hitting the single front wheel when less loaded, due to acceleration means less likely for bike to not stay upright.

That has nothing to do with the situation with the jazz and truck.

No indicators as far as I can see.obviously not using the mirror,cutting across the lanes.then flees the scene.i just wonder if she's even got a license.nice lady in total denial as usual.

ive been fined 500b (mugged)a couple of times at a checkpoint for being in the wrong lane and being white.she will probably get the same as it's only Burmese who shouldn't be in Thailand.i have a phobia about white cars with black windows and driven by a woman and steer well clear of them.

Woman 66% at fault, she’d have been 100% at fault if it wasn’t for the fact that the truck was driving too fast. If they had been going a bit slower they would have been able to avoid her bad driving. She will get away with it because the victims are not Thai, sadly.