Non Immigrant O inquire

Good day

at present I have a NON-IMM O with a retirement visa extention which expires on the 28th March. I hold a British passport.

I needed to use some of my vested money due to family matters so my account has fallen below the 800 000 bht which is needed for the two months before renewal of extemtion.

It looks like that I will now need to leave the country and renew my NON-IMM O permit. I was thinking of travelling to Penang and coming back into Thailand on a visa on arrival then sort out my NON-IMM O permit with my local immergration office in Korat. Or if I can obtain a NON-IMM permit in Pennang if easier. Then convert to a retirement or this time marrage extention.

if there are easier places to travel to than Pennang Im happy to do so.

Can I also fly out of Thailand a week before my visa extention expires and apply for a New NON-IMM O permit which I belive should give me 90days to sort out my extenion. Money would be vested by then again the required 2 months

Thanks.

15 minutes ago, phraeophailin said:

I will not have 400 000bht in the bank yet, but if I can apply for a 60days extention at Korat immergration would be the way to go. Do I need to show them my bank account or just means of funds to cover myself

NO finacials are required but you must provide copies of your marriage cert., wives ID and tabian baan - Your wife must also be present when applying.

27 minutes ago, phraeophailin said:

I will not have 400 000bht in the bank yet, but if I can apply for a 60days extention at Korat immergration would be the way to go. Do I need to show them my bank account or just means of funds to cover myself

No need for any financial proof.

You will need your marriage certificate and a copy of it, copies of wife's house book registry and ID card. She will need to be with you when you apply.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phraeophailin said:

Can I also fly out of Thailand a week before my visa extention expires and apply for a New NON-IMM O permit which I belive should give me 90days to sort out my extenion

A question I too have -- will the nearby Thai consulates issue a Non O visa if you still have a week or two left on your extension, which is protected by a re-entry permit? I remember in years past getting a new Non O from Portland, USA honorary consulate several weeks before my older Non O would expire. However, I guess, that would not set any kind of precedent...

If no, or doubtful to the above, how dangerous is it to leave Thailand by air with an extension that is two days expired: A simple pay the 500k per day fine -- or should I expect some sort of drama?

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You will need your marriage certificate

Can that be my certified raised seal copy of my Western marriage license -- or would I need to convert this Western marriage certificate to a Kor Ror 22?

Thanx.

30 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Can that be my certified raised seal copy of my Western marriage license -- or would I need to convert this Western marriage certificate to a Kor Ror 22?

Your marriage certificate will be accepted. A Kor Ror 22 is not required.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, JimGant said:

A question I too have -- will the nearby Thai consulates issue a Non O visa if you still have a week or two left on your extension, which is protected by a re-entry permit? I remember in years past getting a new Non O from Portland, USA honorary consulate several weeks before my older Non O would expire. However, I guess, that would not set any kind of precedent...

If no, or doubtful to the above, how dangerous is it to leave Thailand by air with an extension that is two days expired: A simple pay the 500k per day fine -- or should I expect some sort of drama?

When you have only a couple of days left on your non-expired permission to stay protected by a Re-Entry Permit, there would normally be no problem to apply for a new Visa at a nearby thai embassy/consultate.

But indeed if your permission to stay only expires in 1 or 2 weeks, your application for a new Visa might be refused.

However, it would normally be no problem to re-enter Thailand VisaExempt when the number of days you would get from your non-expired permission to stay is LOWER than the 30 days a VisaExempt entry would provide you.  The normal procedure would be to provide you with the 30 day VE entry, and that would void the permission to stay of your Non Imm O Visa.

Doing so, you could then exit Thailand again and then apply for a new Non Imm O Visa at the thai embassy/consulate.

Re your 2nd question, instead of paying 1000 THB for 2 days overstay and getting an over-stay stamp in your passport (which might haunt you for years to come), It would be easier to apply for an extension of stay at your local IO knowing full well that it will be refused for not meeting the requirements.  You would pay 1.900 THB for the application (which will be refused), but the procedure is then that they will provide you with 7 days to arrange your stuff and leave the country.  Dong so, you will not be on overstay.

Howdy,

as far as I understand it, at Savannaketh you will get promptly a 1 year Multiple Entry Non-Imm O (based on marriage) without any financial proof.

Wife does not nee to join you, but they will see a Kor Ror 2/22 (at least they checked mine 2 weeks ago).

Cheers

2 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

paying 1000 THB for 2 days overstay and getting an over-stay stamp in your passport (which might haunt you for years to come

Ubonjoe, have you ever seen any problems paying a two day overstay fine at the airport and/or later repercussions because of an overstay stamp in your passport? thanx.

5 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Ubonjoe, have you ever seen any problems paying a two day overstay fine at the airport and/or later repercussions because of an overstay stamp in your passport? thanx.

No

Only if caught with the overstay before leaving the country could there be a problem.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Mr Smithy said:

The Kor-Ror  document is not listed a a requirement.

That is correct.

38 minutes ago, Mr Smithy said:

They looked at yours because you decided to provide it.

I can not prove or deny, if I would have gotten the Visa without it.

I can only elaborate, that I felt it was always helpful because they studied it longer than any other document and also the guys around me without it got problems. My international marriage certificate is in English.

The document is easy to obtain so of course I would always advise to heave it ready, even when it is not listed as a requirement.

Cheers.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Only if caught with the overstay before leaving the country could there be a problem.

Thanks. Guess I best not drive my car during the two days of overstay, as that's the only scenario I can think of (i.e., traffic stop) where the gendarmes would check my bonafides.

Kinda silly to have to do, but it would be even sillier to go all the way to Saigon, only to be told, sorry, can't issue you a Non O because you still have a valid extension.

43 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Thanks. Guess I best not drive my car during the two days of overstay, as that's the only scenario I can think of (i.e., traffic stop) where the gendarmes would check my bonafides.

Kinda silly to have to do, but it would be even sillier to go all the way to Saigon, only to be told, sorry, can't issue you a Non O because you still have a valid extension.

You could leave the country on the last day of of your extension and apply the next day for the visa if it was not a weekend or holiday.

IMO the best thing to do is apply for a extension with no supporting documents near the last day, pay 1900 baht and be granted 7 days to leave the country.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimGant said:

Not going to happen. I got ME non O based on marriage in Nov at HCMC before extension and re-entry had expired. New visa will start day of application.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Not going to happen. I got ME non O based on marriage in Nov at HCMC before extension and re-entry had expired. New visa will start day of application.

Good news. How far ahead of extension expiration was this? Did you have to submit something in writing, as a previous poster had to (although his experience seemed pro forma)? Thanx.

Your experience with HCMC -- no bumps?

11 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Good news. How far ahead of extension expiration was this? Did you have to submit something in writing, as a previous poster had to (although his experience seemed pro forma)? Thanx.

Your experience with HCMC -- no bumps?

It was 3 days but that was just the way it fell, flew on the Monday, submitted the Tuesday, collected Wednesday and went to Vung Tau.

It was very easy, I was in and out in less than 10 minutes, I had done everything including the application before arrival, follow what it says on the website and there shouldn't be a problem.

3 hours ago, IgboChief said:

That is correct.

I can not prove or deny, if I would have gotten the Visa without it.

I can only elaborate, that I felt it was always helpful because they studied it longer than any other document and also the guys around me without it got problems. My international marriage certificate is in English.

The document is easy to obtain so of course I would always advise to heave it ready, even when it is not listed as a requirement.

Cheers.

I am with you on that. I am a great believer in trying to dispel a question before it gets asked.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JimGant said:

I have never had my passport checked at a traffic stop, only ever my driving licence.

Though if you are on a road near to a border crossing point there could possibly be an immigration police checkpoint, they certainly happen from time to time, there have been a few reports over the years of passports checked on busses heading to a border. 

5 hours ago, JimGant said:

I can only advise against that!

You get a Non-O Visa based on marriage in Savannaketh up to 4 weeks before the other visa expires! If you really want to max it out, spend the 2 days in Laos or Vietnam but not overstay. Overstaying is not the right thing to do and it can put you in trouble, when any other problem arises on top. Low odds, but big impact when bad luck strikes.

(2 years ago I got my Non-O in Laos even 6 weeks before expiry. I have been asked for the reason and told them that I would have to travel for work and would not be back in time. They were satisfied and accepted without any hassle.)

Cheers

• Thanks 1