"Sorry you're not covered": Benz woman gets bad insurance news after killing a cow

webfact

14 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

This is an absolute ’get out’ by the insurance company. 

It’s entirely unreasonable that insurance refuses to cover a ‘no fault’ accident, this is exactly what insurance if for.

What is the insurance company - I’ll be sure to never use them. Thus is where social media & naming & shaming counts. 

Yes ...I think a lot of us need to look into this scenario ... okay a few humorous comments BUT I wouldn't want a bill like that

• Like 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

One of those daft practices in LOS, letting cows roam the streets looking for grass.

The owner of the stock should be made to cough up for the repairs..

Exactly. But owners pocket will likely be empty.

Some years ago I had the displeasure on highway 1 passing an accident scene with multiple cars and cows involved. Ugly view of intestines, half digested food, damaged and smeared cars.

1 hour ago, Dumbastheycome said:

I believe the  law in Thailand is that the animal owner is liable and the insurance policy uses that as a an avoidance. Apart from claiming the dead animal as  compensation it leaves little recourse to the  Benz owner other than a futile attempt to sue. I guess if it was a feral animal the policy accepts.

Have often wondered hat happens in the  case of stray dogs? No owner per se' but are they considered non domesticated or "reared"? Have seen some  significant damage  caused by "dog strike" !

Had this happen a couple of weeks ago. Dog ran out across the highway and there was no way for me to avoid it. Busted grill and radiator. Insurance is covering it. The dog belonged to a restaurant along the side of the road, but, of course, they denied that is so.

• Like 1

If her insurance is fully comp "first class insurance" I would be at the insurance office and WW3 would be well underway. She has insurance which gives lawyer cover so her insurance needs to sort it out one way or another. I've had this <deleted> before in Thailand when a drunk guy reversed into the side of my suv in a car park. He admitted responsibility (police did nothing about him being drunk apart from watch him get back in his pickup and drive away). Insurance wanted to fill the door, wing and plastic trim...... I went ballistic in their office. Everything was replaced (my suv was still only 3 years old). She needs to tell the insurance to fix it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Sorry you're not covered": Benz woman gets bad insurance news after killing a cow

If one hits a cow /horse dog /pig or whatever that runs on the road in front of ones car and one can't avoid it The Owner of the Beast is Responsible for the damage. end of story. well maybe Thailand is differed they will make up a story that it is Your Fault 

7 hours ago, webfact said:

the cow just dashed out and she could not brake in time

It was definately all the cows fault. No texting, watching videos, calling, not paying attention, not watching her periphery was ever the reason was, but the insurance company here sure pulled a fast one for being held liable.

6 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

I believe the  law in Thailand is that the animal owner is liable and the insurance policy uses that as a an avoidance. Apart from claiming the dead animal as  compensation it leaves little recourse to the  Benz owner other than a futile attempt to sue. I guess if it was a feral animal the policy accepts.

Have often wondered hat happens in the  case of stray dogs? No owner per se' but are they considered non domesticated or "reared"? Have seen some  significant damage  caused by "dog strike" !

But it's up to the insurance company to cover the policy holder.  Then they go after the animal owner for reimbursement in a process called subrogation.

There's something not right here, and she needs to get a lawyer.  I'd bet $1 she's covered, and the adjuster needs some training.

Edited by impulse

1 hour ago, impulse said:

But it's up to the insurance company to cover the policy holder.  Then they go after the animal owner for reimbursement in a process called subrogation.

There's something not right here, and she needs to get a lawyer.  I'd bet $1 she's covered, and the adjuster needs some training.

My experience when with dealing with  Insurance  Companies that there is little incentive for  companies to  pursue recovery of claims on uninsured individuals. Exceptions of course when such an individual is identified as having financial resources  worth the attempt  but in the case of a small farmer who fails to  contain/control his  stock what would be the end result in real terms? But when it comes  to claims against those who have insurance they will do  so. Not  against the insured  but the insurer primarily  or against the the policy of the insured. That is the basis  of why Insurance Companies  lobby  Governments to legislate  compulsory comprehensive insurances. The tactical rationale is that it enables recovery  of  claims against  another competitor or compensated by accumulated premium payments  if the insured liable  party holds a policy  with same  company as  does claimant.

Insurance  Companies  are  not in business to be "nice". So when and wherever they will avoid payouts as much as possible based on policy wording or in technicalities of such wording presented  by aspiring "claims agents" who if successful in avoidance of  claims are in line to receive a percentage bonus on such claims  denied.