Thailand has three new coronavirus cases, for total of 40 -ministry official

webfact

10 minutes ago, Forza2002 said:

Wuhan is not hot like Thailand. Thais are being are led to believe that the virus is not flourishing in Thailand due to the heat. 

Ok, So it's heat and smog? Do I have that right?

Can you share with us how that works?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Here's where I'm at right now in the UK having traveled back last week after self quarantine consequently missing my father's death and now unable to collect his body or sign paperwork at the hospital after public health UK called me to 100% stay away what an epic mess this corona is turning out to be god I hate bat eaters right now????

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

fyi, there has been a BIG jump in the number of govt reported "patients under investigation" as inpatient hospital patients this week....

On the 24th, the govt reported that number as 420. In their daily report through the end of yesterday the 25th, that reported number had grown to 551, up 131 people in just one day.

They don't have an EN version of their daily report for the 25th yet, so here's an excerpt of the TH version below:

1442401991_2020-02-2614_29_13.jpg.03a4e1a0056fb0e305b9647f33e526de.jpg

The highlight section shows the 551 patients hospitalized stat as of the 25th.

--243 in private hospitals, 308 in government hospitals.  Again, compared to just 420 the day before.

As of  yesterday, prior to today's increase, 37 confirmed cases, 24 already released, 13 still in hospital, including two serious/critical.

it's still my opinion that this is much worse than the thai authorities are reporting...they are playing the 3% game where they are willing to trade off 3% of their population against 20 to 50% of their economy because let's face it if you are 20%"dependant on tourism really it's a lot more than that...its service industry, food industry, transport, building, hotel, virtually everything...its a dangerous game because they could end up banned by many countries, but someone has done the maths and decided it's worth the risk.

• Like 1

Idiots like this man must not be allowed to get away with this kind of dangerous behaviour. He needs to be sanctioned in a manner that is serious, not a slap on the wrist, and which lasts for the rest of his life and beyond. He could easily have started the kind of outbreak that a similarly idiotic Korean woman created in Daegu where hundreds are now infected because she refused to be tested.

12 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

Here's where I'm at right now in the UK having traveled back last week after self quarantine consequently missing my father's death and now unable to collect his body or sign paperwork at the hospital after public health UK called me to 100% stay away what an epic mess this corona is turning out to be god I hate bat eaters right now????

It is really not the bat eaters as far as I understand.  Bats naturally have many coronaviral infections, but they dont transmit to humans. It has to go though another animal - cat, dog, etc.  The problem is that another animal - say a dog - gets the virus from the bat - and that virus mutates in the dog and is then capable of being transmitted to humans.  

4 minutes ago, Megasin1 said:

it's still my opinion that this is much worse than the thai authorities are reporting...they are playing the 3% game where they are willing to trade off 3% of their population against 20 to 50% of their economy because let's face it if you are 20%"dependant on tourism really it's a lot more than that...its service industry, food industry, transport, building, hotel, virtually everything...its a dangerous game because they could end up banned by many countries, but someone has done the maths and decided it's worth the risk.

I'm not sure that they did the math at all, that would be tantamount to admitting that Thailand is not under the patronage of a God; which would be the equivalent of saying that Isreal (for example, or the USA aren't - not going to happen and nobody who carries any weight would be allowed to 'do the math for fear of what the math would say..

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

No. Diagnosis is done by RT-PCR in a level 2 biolab. https://www.who.int/publications-detail/disease-commodity-package---novel-coronavirus-(ncov)

There are two WHO reference labs in Thailand and I was surprised to find Chula is not one of them, despite having the capability:

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/who-appointed-2019-ncov-referral-laboratories-7-february-2020.pdf?sfvrsn=c3fa3ec3_4

Both labs are under government control.

The Thai Dept of Disease Control has recently posted an EN version of their diagnosis criteria and treatment/handling guidelines for CV... It's worth a read:

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/guidelines.php

Three Thais from a family new Covid-19 victims

By The Nation

800_dd877e618e60e66.jpg?v=1582697605

File Photo

Three Thais have tested positive for Covid-19, taking the country’s total to 40, Public Health Ministry permanent secretary Sukhum Karnchanapimai said on Tuesday (February 25).

The first case is a 65-year-old Thai man who recently returned from Japan. He was hospitalised at the Chest Institute of Thailand. He had high fever and cough, and was found to have pneumonia. He is reportedly in a critical condition.

His wife and eight-year-old grandson also have Covid-19. His wife has fever and cough, while his grandson has tested positive even though he did not travel. Both have a mild condition and are in quarantine in negative pressure rooms separately.

Fifty classmates of the grandson are now in quarantine for 14 days and must not leave their houses.

Meanwhile, two more patients have been discharged after full recovery -- a 35-year-old Thai woman and a 52-year-old Chinese man.

Of the 40 confirmed cases in Thailand, 24 have fully recovered and returned home while 16 are hospitalised.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30382879

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-02-26

12 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

6 Thailand Nonthaburi National Institute of Health, Department of Medical Sciences, Ministry of Public Health
7 Thailand Bangkok Armed Forces Research Institute of Medical Science

Different info from the Thai DDC on what labs they're using as the final confirming entities:

Specimens will be shipped for laboratory analysis at the following laboratory facilities: Coronavirus 2019 PCR will be performed by Thai Red Cross Emerging Infectious Disease Health Science Center (TRC-EID) Laboratory and National Institute of Health (Thai NIH) Laboratory, Department of Medical Sciences (DMSc).

The first one is associated with Chula in BKK. The second one is part of MoPH, but not sure on the exact location.

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/file/guidelines/guidelines-sur_en.pdf

1 hour ago, Mavideol said:

and the 50 kids on his class room have "potentially" infected how many people .... we should prepare for a roller coaster ride

not to mention the airport and the plane he was on with other passengers who also arrived in Thailand and the transport he used from the airport - doesn't take long for the infection tree to multiply into hundreds

Who visited the bank and had contact with the son - who have they been in contact with - another infection tree

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Different info from the Thai DDC on what labs they're using as the final confirming entities:

The first one is associated with Chula in BKK. The second one is part of MoPH, but not sure on the exact location.

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/file/guidelines/guidelines-sur_en.pdf

They may use Chula for diagnosis, but for official confirmation to WHO I'd venture to guess it'll have to be the army lab in Bangkok or NIH in Nonthaburi. This way you can diagnose, but not add to the official confirmed tally. DDC's website is giving timeouts today, but I'm familiar with those docs.

NIH lab (the one under MoPH) is in Nonthaburi.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Both labs are under government control.

As is the Thai media and any media releases will be carefully worded to fit the Thai administration's narrative so expect any media releases to vindicate themselves and to blame anyone or anything or country.Did he deny anything?He reported to healthcare officials as to what he said we have no idea so I suspect he will disappear into quarantine only to succumb to the disease and never be able to defend himself.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

A difference between TH and Singers, is the latter has much higher population density and stay in aircon spaces more. Thais travel like 4 to a scooter out in the fresh air, the Singaporeans would probably get 100 lashes for doing that so they all travel in aircon mass public transport. That is a credible reason why the spread has been so different. Well, that or somebody is telling porky pies.

You might want to read up on the Singapore cases, full details of which are posted in the Straits Times. One cluster came from a Chinese person who visited a TCM shop and the staff of the shop caught it from them. No pun lick transport involved at all in the transmission.

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

They may use Chula for diagnosis, but for official confirmation to WHO I'd venture to guess it'll have to be the army lab in Bangkok or NIH in Nonthaburi. This way you can diagnose, but not add to the official confirmed tally. DDC's website is giving timeouts today, but I'm familiar with those docs.

I'm not aware of any indication of that. We've covered this issue several times before. AFAIK, the two labs I mentioned above in the quote from the DDC document ARE the ones they're using as the final arbiter of declaring a case "confirmed."

Those are the two labs they've said they're using, in several different documents at several different points in time. I have no reason not to believe them on that subject.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'm not aware of any indication of that. We've covered this issue several times before. AFAIK, the two labs I mentioned above in the quote from the DDC document ARE the ones they're using as the final arbiter of declaring a case "confirmed."

I'm not so convinced. The language in https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/file/guidelines/G_CPG_en.pdf and https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/file/guidelines/guidelines-sur_en.pdf uses "reference laboratory",  but the word "reference" is missing here:

Specimens will be shipped for laboratory analysis at the following laboratory facilities: Coronavirus 2019 PCR will be performed by Thai Red Cross Emerging Infectious Disease Health Science Center (TRC-EID) Laboratory and National Institute of Health (Thai NIH) Laboratory, Department of Medical Sciences (DMSc).

The only place I can find "reference" is in the WHO list.

There's also an interesting bit of info there..

2. Probable case is defined as a PUI who has tested positive for genetic materials of 2019-nCoV by PCR from one reference laboratory.

3. Confirmed case is defined as a PUI who has tested positive for genetic materials of 2019-nCoV by PCR from two reference laboratories, or by viral genetic sequencing technique or culture

I can't find any numbers on the "Probable cases", ie. those that have tested positive in only one reference lab.

There are so many catches in the process it's easy to keep cases in limbo indefinitely. And there's zero transparency into that now after they stopped publishing the backlog figures.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

At least Thailand hasn't (yet) gone into crazy panic mode!  The UK seem to be doing just that (if The Sun can be believed!).

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11036979/coronavirus-school-lockdown-students-italy/

Thailand has just started doing something similar with its schools...not closing whole campuses yet, but asking any foreign travel returnees from impacted areas to do two-week self-quarantines at home.

On 24 February 2020, the Ministry of Education issued a letter circulated to government agencies and schools nationwide. If teachers or education personnel travel from at-risk countries/regions including the People's Republic of China, Japan, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China, the Republic of Korea (South Korea), Taiwan, Singapore were requested to stop working, and take a leave of absence to selfquarantine and practice social distancing for 14 days according to the protective measures against COVID-19.

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/file/situation/situation-no52-240263.pdf

At this point, hopefully, they'll be adding a few more countries to that list, including Italy, et. al....

• Like 1