Thailand has three new coronavirus cases, for total of 40 -ministry official

webfact

2 hours ago, Megasin1 said:

it's still my opinion that this is much worse than the thai authorities are reporting...they are playing the 3% game where they are willing to trade off 3% of their population against 20 to 50% of their economy because let's face it if you are 20%"dependant on tourism really it's a lot more than that...its service industry, food industry, transport, building, hotel, virtually everything...its a dangerous game because they could end up banned by many countries, but someone has done the maths and decided it's worth the risk.

"someone"? Any guesses as to who that might be? "Everything's going to be OK after Songkran"? Or his boss!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhyamIhere said:

Thailand has this disease completely 'under control' with its cursory temperature taking at the airports...three of my friends who recently arrived here claimed there was no screening taking place at Suvarnabhumi or Don Mueang airports.  Then why do people who show no signs have to be quarantined? "Hospital staff who could be at risk of infection have tested negative for the virus but they are now in self-quarantine at home and will be retested after 7-14 days." Am I missing something?

Did your friends arrive via China? I'd imagine the temperatures are only taken of those from China. I'd want more arrivals checked but I doubt if ALL are checked, especially any coming via Europe.

4 hours ago, Kemp87 said:

Begs belief someone could seriously not release travel history ????????‍♂️ Surely he himself would be fearing infection and be wanting to be taken more seriously! Selfishness Beyond comprehension.

Probably yet another consequence of all that "saving face" BS. It's infuriating.

27 minutes ago, eastendanto said:

I guess the real nos will come out (they always do) at some point, the tell tale sign that they are not revealing how many is that the UAE has banned all flights to/from Thailand which means they probably have inside info on what the real story is... Thats a lot of airline revenue to take off the table as many europeans travel to Thailand via UAE

Someone forgot to tell the airline, this is tonights Emirates flight from Bangkok to Dubai.

image.png.448d1b20b85107b2d2ba55c0f11499c3.png

They've requested that UAE citizens don't travel to Thailand.

1 hour ago, Susco said:

You could have started bt reading the post, as it is clearly written in the post, but your eagerness to do some Thai bashing was probably uncontrollable.

Actually, not so written so clearly in the post - it could have been a lot clearer, and a lot sooner. But I agree with you in principle, too many people don't bother reading posts properly before commenting, and therefore their observations belong in the dustbin/delete files! 

The problem is that at least 80% don`t even realize that they have the virus. They have no or very slight symptoms. From the remaining 20% not everyone goes to the hospital. Most prefer the spend 2-3 days in bed. So there are 100% more then those 40 cases. It can`t be contained in my opinion. The focus is rather to keep the severe cases low. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhyamIhere said:

Thailand has this disease completely 'under control' with its cursory temperature taking at the airports...three of my friends who recently arrived here claimed there was no screening taking place at Suvarnabhumi or Don Mueang airports.  Then why do people who show no signs have to be quarantined? "Hospital staff who could be at risk of infection have tested negative for the virus but they are now in self-quarantine at home and will be retested after 7-14 days." Am I missing something?

Am I missing something? Yes! Because even if they have tested negative, they have been in in "at risk" environment, and may be carrying the virus which could show up at a later date!

4 hours ago, petedk said:

He is not alone.

I know of 3 or 4 people who travel regularly to Vietnam, Taiwan, Japan and Malaysia. They don't plan to stop. One lady has just self quarantined for 14 days as she has a cold. 

I returned to the UK from Thailand back on February the 5th. I self isolated for 14 days pretty much, but as of yesterday I've come down with a nasty cold, and I never really get colds. I hope it's simply a sharp change in temperature after having lived in SE Asia for the best part of a decade 

4 hours ago, sameasb4 said:

keep up the pretense i am booked on a flight out of here next month I am even giving up my rented condo have 3 months on lease left putting my gear in storage not sure if there will be flights after songkran when i am due back i guess they want to keep the lid on any epidemic till songkran is over

My wife has a trip planned to go to Thailand in May.  No problem with going but she has been warned that she may have to undergo a two week "Self Isolation" on her return.  I have a business trip planned to China in April but have cancelled that for now.  I cannot afford to be locked away in self Isolation when I get back.

2 hours ago, DrTuner said:

I'm not so convinced. The language in https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/file/guidelines/G_CPG_en.pdf and https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/file/guidelines/guidelines-sur_en.pdf uses "reference laboratory",  but the word "reference" is missing here:

The only place I can find "reference" is in the WHO list.

There's also an interesting bit of info there..

I can't find any numbers on the "Probable cases", ie. those that have tested positive in only one reference lab.

There are so many catches in the process it's easy to keep cases in limbo indefinitely. And there's zero transparency into that now after they stopped publishing the backlog figures.

I found this interesting - 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_outbreak_in_Thailand

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Best to do your darnedest to not get it at all!

Indeed, prevention is a lot easier than cure, just takes some effort, doubled up on the Vit's and even try and take some sun everyday for the "D" helps living out in the sticks where never see anyone unless I wont to helps!

7 minutes ago, CGW said:

Indeed, prevention is a lot easier than cure, just takes some effort, doubled up on the Vit's and even try and take some sun everyday for the "D" helps living out in the sticks where never see anyone unless I wont to helps!

Self quarantine, social distancing and personal hygiene!

I've been trying social distancing with my wife lately... But she keeps kissing me on the mouth and breathing her som tam breath in my face!  I'm a gonner for sure!  :biggrin:

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, outsider said:

And we only have 40 cases?

We only KNOW about 40 cases.

That is the problem with this particular virus. In Germany we also only KNOW about 18 cases.

Why everyone thinks the officials are so brain dead stupid to down play the problem is beyond me.

• Haha 1