Covid-19: Thais warned about cheap foreign travel - is it worth the risk?

webfact

Covid-19: Thais warned about cheap foreign travel - is it worth the risk?

plane.jpg

File photo

Thais have been warned about taking advantage of cheap foreign travel packages.

They may wind up infected with Covid-19 or have to go into quarantine on their return.

The advice from the Thai health ministry is think twice or even, don't go.

Health officials on Wednesday announced details of the three new cases found in Thailand that brings the official tally to 40.

Two of the new patients, all Thai nationals, had returned from vacation in Japan's northern island of Hokkaido and came into contact with the third, health officials said. 

Meanwhile, of the new cases announced on Tuesday, Dr Sukhum Kanjanaphimai said that the first case was a 31 year old housewife who works at home and who had not been anywhere. However a family member who currently does not have the disease returned from a trip to Guangzhou in China.

This person and all others in the family are being closely monitored as are those of the other case just detected - a 29 year old Thai man who has worked with Chinese tourists.

Replying to reporters' questions Dr Sukhum said it was normal that not all people in a family would show symptoms at the same time. And some may not show symptoms at all.

Out of the 40 confirmed cases 22 have gone home, while the others are being treated in hospitals, he said.

Since the start of the outbreak in early January 1,580 people have been closely monitored for possible coronavirus but the great majority of these had fever associated with normal flu. Some 1,160 of these have now gone home.

The country remains on Level 2 and should continue to take sensible precautions like the wearing of masks.

Dr Thawee Chotpithayasunon of the national communicative diseases center warned people about taking advantage of cheap foreign holidays being offered online.

People could get infected and those who holidayed in affected regions may have to go into quarantine on return.

Such trips are being offered to countries like Japan and are referred to as "Profile Mai" (profile burn) in Thai and are proving popular at the moment especially with Thai school holidays on the horizon.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-02-26
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

Unless I have missed the memo, why are some news reports on here calling it the original name of coronavirus, and others calling it COVID 19? 

COVID-19.

The CO stands for corona, the VI for virus and the D for disease, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, director-general of WHO, announced Tuesday at a news conference at the agency’s headquarters in Geneva.

“Having a name matters to prevent the use of other names that can be inaccurate or stigmatizing,” Tedros told reporters. “It also gives us a standard format to use for any future coronavirus outbreak.”

Tedros said the agency wanted to avoid stigmatizing a country or particular group, so it chose a name that did not refer to a geographical location, animals, an individual or a group of people

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Yeah but there are only a hand full of Chinese visiting now. Can't be any worry in that!

It's now more or so the other travellers like Thai's and others flying in from know infected countries/regions as of late.

I almost booked some flights out back to our homeland, but decided as much as the sale prices were attractive, better be held up here with the buffaloes for now.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

It's now more or so the other travellers like Thai's and others flying in from know infected countries/regions as of late.

I almost booked some flights out back to our homeland, but decided as much as the sale prices were attractive, better be held up here with the buffaloes for now.

Was being facetious. Everyone is a danger, especially those from China. I'm out to the Philippines next week and sort of looking forward to it. Direct flight on their national carrier so there won't be any Chinese on that flight, or I don't they would dare. Oh never mind, yes they would, they are Chinese. Gonna go buy one of those heat sensing thermometer lasers for the Philippine gals in the clubs there and try to peg all from 6ft outdirectly to the forehead.. Too hot and don't sit by me! : ) 

On the other hand I would not fly farther than that, just canceled a Japan trip and an Indo trip for April and will probably cancel a US trip for in May or June if this explodes more.

Edited by holy cow cm
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, holy cow cm said:

Yeah but there are only a hand full of Chinese visiting now. Can't be any worry in that!

Unless one of those few have got it.

And what difference does CHEAP travel make. You could be in business or 1st class and the bloke next to you is infected.

2 hours ago, DoctorG said:

COVID-19.

The CO stands for corona, the VI for virus and the D for disease, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, director-general of WHO, announced Tuesday at a news conference at the agency’s headquarters in Geneva.

“Having a name matters to prevent the use of other names that can be inaccurate or stigmatizing,” Tedros told reporters. “It also gives us a standard format to use for any future coronavirus outbreak.”

Tedros said the agency wanted to avoid stigmatizing a country or particular group, so it chose a name that did not refer to a geographical location, animals, an individual or a group of people

Correct.

To further expand on that, the name of this novel coronavirus in particular (there are, and have been, a few others going around which are able to infect humans) is SARS-CoV-2.

Returned from a few days in Vietnam last Friday.  Immigration almost deserted, straight through - no questions asked, visa exempt stamped, no heat check !  Amazing  !   If this is what the virus does, long may it last....   only joking....    Going back to Blighty in three weeks - wonder if I'll have any problems.........

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I had already booked the end of next month for an operation before the latest (1 week) info. Wondering now if all flights from Thailand might be stopped before then as they are encouraging the Chinese.

30 minutes ago, justin case said:

what about people like me and others that have to get out (forced) of the country every 89 days, to get 89 new days ...90 is bullfrog as when you land, even late in the evening, that is your first day in thailand...

If you’re being forced out, then it’s only of your own doing. You have the choice like thousands of us who can stay continuously for years without having to leave the country. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1