[UPDATE] Coronavirus in Thailand: How to protect yourself and others from infection

webfact

[UPDATE] Coronavirus in Thailand: How to protect yourself and others from infection

CV.jpg

File photo REUTERS

Thailand on Wednesday confirmed three new cases of coronavirus infections, taking the total number of reported cases to 40.

While the authorities remain on high alert, officials continue to stress the risk of infection to most individuals remains low.

In addition, over 50 percent of those found to be infected with coronavirus in Thailand have already made a full recovery. 

At the time of publishing, of the 40 cases, 22 have recovered and been discharged and 18 remain in hospital. There have been zero deaths from coronavirus in Thailand. 

Both Thailand’s Public Health Ministry and the World Health Organisation (WHO) have issued guidelines on how to protect yourself and others from becoming infected with coronavirus, now officially named COVID-19.

The guidelines are:

Wash your hands

Frequently wash your hands with soap and water or an alcohol based hand rub as this will help to kill viruses that are on your hands.

Keep your distance

Avoid close contact from anyone who has a cold, fever or cough. WHO recommends keeping at least 1 metre between yourself and others, particularly with those who are sneezing or coughing. 

Don’t cough or sneeze into your hands

Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or by flexing your elbow when sneezing. Avoid sneezing into your hands.

Take care with animals and animal products

Avoid direct and unprotected contact with live or wild animals and avoid eating or handling raw or undercooked animal products, especially at markets. It is worth noting there is no evidence that pets such as cats and dogs can become infected or spread the coronavirus. 

Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth

Don’t touch your eyes, nose and mouth, especially if you have not washed your hands. Your hands may have touch surfaces that contain the virus and if you then go and touch your face you increase the chances of contaminating yourself. 

What are the symptoms of coronavirus? 

• runny nose
  • headache
  • cough
  • sore throat
  • fever
  • difficulty breathing

Immediately seek medical help if you have symptoms of a fever, cough or experience breathing difficulties, especially if you have recently travelled abroad. Make sure you inform a medical professional of your recent travel history. Alternatively, contact Thailand’s Department of Disease Control on Call Center 1422.

Should you wear a facemask?

Despite a surge in sales of facemasks in the aftermath of the coronavirus outbreak, experts remain divided on whether wearing a mask is effective.

Thailand’s Public Health Ministry advises people to wear a face mask.

However, WHO says you only need to wear a facemask if you are taking care of a person with suspected coronavirus infection or if you yourself are coughing and sneezing.

Also, facemasks are only effective if used in combination with frequent hand-cleaning with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water, WHO says.

If you touch a facemask with dirty hands you still risk infecting yourself.

This is an updated version of a post originally made on 25 Jan 2020

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-02-26
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, lupin said:

What are the symptoms of coronavirus?

This is also the same moron that praised China for their efforts despite obvious cover-ups and massive under-reporting.

He was praising the cover-ups and how well they did it. Maybe that is where the idea came from

• Like 1

18 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

"Immediately seek medical help"

I thought you were meant to stay away from hospitals etc

In the UK if you think you have the symptoms dial 111 on no account they say do you leave your property and you will gat a home visit.

Does Thailand have a Helpline and do Doctors do House Calls ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ukrules said:

I've got one of these masks on its way to me from the US right now :

image.png.4eb84b356bea43db27b27e6cf717f4d9.png

The N95/P95 masks are disposable and leaky but the above one with the correct filter carts is the real deal (99.97% particle filtration) and by all accounts pretty comfortable to wear. These are kind of pro level and depending on which filter cartridge you use they deal with different situations, gas vapours, etc.

Mask model : 3M 7503 Reusable respirator comes with no filter cartridges.

Particle filter cartridges that go with this mask : 3M 7093 P100 filter sets - you need 2 at a time, they are the white parts on each side of the mask.

I heard you can use the filters for up to a week...maybe it will come in useful at some point, maybe not, whatever - I've ordered it anyway.

This is the mask I have, it creates a nice suction against the skin so you feel it's airtight whereas the fabric masks are more difficult to keep them airtight.

I hadn't heard the cartridges are good for a week, that's great if true.

I used this extensively a few years ago when the california fires were out of control and the AQI was 400+

• Thanks 1

The N95/P95 masks are disposable and leaky but the above one with the correct filter carts is the real deal (99.97% particle filtration) and by all accounts pretty comfortable to wear. These are kind of pro level and depending on which filter cartridge you use they deal with different situations, gas vapours, etc.

Particle filter cartridges that go with this mask : 3M 7093 P100 filter sets - you need 2 at a time, they are the white parts on each side of the mask.

I heard you can use the filters for up to a week...maybe it will come in useful at some point, maybe not, whatever - I've ordered it anyway.

I dont want to pee ]on your fire but the mask you feature will have little if any resistance to biological intake . Really for particle defence within industrial usage . From my working experience which involved working in refineries not all guys could get a sealed fit to their faces because of their face shape and so were not permitted to wear them and not allowed on certain live refinery plants .                     Also clean shaven a must / no beards .    Below is a link that I believe is appropriate 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_mask

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Toany said:

He was praising the cover-ups and how well they did it. Maybe that is where the idea came from

I'm referring to "She" - the woman (Benedetta Allegranzi) in the video, the lead tech for prevention and control.

13 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

In the UK if you think you have the symptoms dial 111 on no account they say do you leave your property and you will gat a home visit.

Does Thailand have a Helpline and do Doctors do House Calls ?

It's a well kept secret, but can call 1422 Dept of Disease Control. I wonder what response you'd get if you called

Just out of plain curiosity ....... are you Luke's father?  ????

5 hours ago, superal said:

I dont want to pee ]on your fire but the mask you feature will have little if any resistance to biological intake . Really for particle defence within industrial usage . From my working experience which involved working in refineries not all guys could get a sealed fit to their faces because of their face shape and so were not permitted to wear them and not allowed on certain live refinery plants .                     Also clean shaven a must / no beards .    Below is a link that I believe is appropriate 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_mask

Yeah, I'm not using it as a gas mask, I'm using it as a particulate filter. Big difference.

I know for sure that this is the correct mask for what I want as I've researched the matter already.

It fits much better than one of those disposable respirators that I also have with the bendy metal strip that you fit around the bridge of the nose. I've never had a problem fitting those before but I have a regular kind of face shape - that might be something to do with it.

They do have filters for working with gasses on this model and you're right, you need the correct size for your face based on a few measurements. If working with gasses I would probably have gone for a full face mask which creates a whole seal around the face but that's not suitable for my needs.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, delgarcon said:

So what are you going to cover your eyes with?

A full face mask is much more of a pain if you want to wear any kind of glasses inside it, especially if you need to constantly switch between reading and distance vision glasses!

This is the reason I didn't purchase a full face mask.

With this half face respirator you would wear goggles and/or a visor.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, justin case said:

in short: avoid all restaurants, known for not washing hands

avoid shopping malls, airports, busses, bts, mtr, your work place

I like how you thru in avoid your work place ????

The problem here is you will be hard pressed to find restaurants, rest stops, etc. that have soap.  And the cheapness here to me is obvious sometimes. Ever notice the soap from a dispenser is thin and watery?  That is because when the dispenser gets low, they fill it with water and not more soap...

Anyway, maybe keep your own hand soap or definitely those bacterial type wipes with you when going out.

Edited by bkk6060

***BREAKING NEWS***

Saudi Arabia suspends entry for pilgrims over coronavirus

"Saudi Arabia on Thursday suspended visas for visits to Islam's holiest sites for the "umrah" pilgrimage, an unprecedented move triggered by coronavirus fears that raises questions over the annual hajj.

The kingdom, which hosts millions of pilgrims every year in the cities of Mecca and Medina, also suspended visas for tourists from countries with reported infections as fears of a pandemic deepen."

https://news.yahoo.com/saudi-arabia-suspends-entry-pilgrims-over-coronavirus-062500005.html

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Simple, if in Thailand fxxk off as advised by the Thai minister of health!

Or

Do not bother visiting Thailand.

As a foreigner you would not be welcomed as a human, but tolerated because as a foreigner you are looked down upon as a stupid simply walking ATMs...

Edited by Sonhia
Alteration
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, ukrules said:

This is mine. It was the only one I  could get ( all sold out ). 

Seems to work. People see me coming and give me a very wide birth. The crowds sort of just part in front of. A bit hot though. But hey, any port in a storm. Better safe than sorry.

bandicam 2020-02-09 13-45-35-467.jpg

On 2/26/2020 at 2:43 PM, webfact said:

Despite a surge in sales of facemasks in the aftermath of the coronavirus outbreak, experts remain divided on whether wearing a mask is effective.

Thailand’s Public Health Ministry advises people to wear a face mask.

However, WHO says you only need to wear a facemask if you are taking care of a person with suspected coronavirus infection or if you yourself are coughing and sneezing.

Who are they calling an expert, here? And just WHO should be believed?