[UPDATE] Coronavirus in Thailand: How to protect yourself and others from infection

webfact

10 hours ago, ukrules said:

I heard you can use the filters for up to a week...maybe it will come in useful at some point, maybe not, whatever - I've ordered it anyway.

I've yet to see anyone in public actually wearing such a thing since the onset of the CV problem.

Yes, that mask may protect your breathing. But it won't protect your eyes. And, good luck in finding any replacement N95 filters for it these days.

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

It's a well kept secret, but can call 1422 Dept of Disease Control. I wonder what response you'd get if you called

That phone line at least, they actually do answer, and they have EN speaking staff there. I can personally vouch for that.

That said, the person I spoke with once re masks didn't know anything about the question I was asking (even though the info was in the news that same day), promised to call back with an answer, and never did call back.

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I've yet to see anyone in public actually wearing such a thing since the onset of the CV problem.

Yes, that mask may protect your breathing. But it won't protect your eyes. And, good luck in finding any replacement N95 filters for it these days.

Do they actually know if the virus is airborne or can the infection be passed from person to person by touching ?

7 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Do they actually know if the virus is airborne or can the infection be passed from person to person by touching ?

Both... You can catch this virus (and others too) through either method:

--being exposed to the airborne sneeze or cough droplets from an infected person, or

--touching some physical surface where the virus has been deposited, which could include things like shaking hands with an infected person, touching a physical surface, pretty much any surface.

The virus is said to have a pretty long lifespan when out in the environment, depending on various factors including temperature, humidity, etc.

But AFAIK, you can't get infected just by skin to skin contact only. It has to get into your system somehow thru a porous surface such as lungs, nose, mouth, eyes, etc. So you touch something with the virus, and then rub your eyes, or pick your nose, etc etc.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

This is my 'worst case scenario' mask, I have others for more general usage.

If there are people dropping dead in the streets like in some of the Wuhan videos then I'll wear this mask if I venture out.

The filter cartridges in this type of respirator can be used a lot longer than the disposable ones.

If you use it in quite a limited way (in hours per week) then I could see it lasting for a month or even more as unlike the disposable respirators they can be worn and removed as many times as you want. Having some spare sets of cartridges also helps.

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

A full face mask is much more of a pain if you want to wear any kind of glasses inside it, especially if you need to constantly switch between reading and distance vision glasses!

This is the reason I didn't purchase a full face mask.

With this half face respirator you would wear goggles and/or a visor.

Guaranteed to wow the ladies at the local bar....

Just now, mrfill said:

Guaranteed to wow the ladies at the local bar....

If there's ever a need for this mask there will be no bars open.

We're talking about a quarantine situation where everything is shut down apart from a few food shops if we're lucky.

Imagine the situation in Wuhan and then apply it to Thailand.

This is how they do things in Italy. The Pope is taken sick. Amazing faith.

"Pope Francis has taken ill and cancelled an event at a Rome basilica as coronavirus locks down towns in northern Italy.

The pontiff had earlier prayed for coronavirus sufferers on Ash Wednesday, and, while mask free, took time to shake hands and kiss worshippers, including a child, in St Peter's Square at the Vatican.

The pope appeared to have a cold and spoke with a slightly hoarse voice at his general audience on Wednesday and coughed during an afternoon Ash Wednesday service in a Rome church.

After falling ill, he is carrying out the rest of his schedule in his residence, the Vatican said on Thursday.

"Because of a slight indisposition, he preferred to stay inside Santa Marta," the Vatican said, referring to the guest house where the 83-year-old pontiff lives."

Have you been affected by coronavirus? Email [email protected].

1_FILE-PHOTO-Pope-Francis-takes-part-in-the-penitential-procession-on-Ash-Wednesday-in-Rome1.jpg     0_Pope-Francis-weekly-general-audience-The-Vatican.jpg

14 hours ago, ukrules said:

I've got one of these masks on its way to me from the US right now :

image.png.4eb84b356bea43db27b27e6cf717f4d9.png

The N95/P95 masks are disposable and leaky but the above one with the correct filter carts is the real deal (99.97% particle filtration) and by all accounts pretty comfortable to wear. These are kind of pro level and depending on which filter cartridge you use they deal with different situations, gas vapours, etc.

Mask model : 3M 7503 Reusable respirator comes with no filter cartridges.

Particle filter cartridges that go with this mask : 3M 7093 P100 filter sets - you need 2 at a time, they are the white parts on each side of the mask.

I heard you can use the filters for up to a week...maybe it will come in useful at some point, maybe not, whatever - I've ordered it anyway.

You might want to order goggles as well, as it is airborne and can infect through the eyes.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ukrules said:

If there's ever a need for this mask there will be no bars open.

We're talking about a quarantine situation where everything is shut down apart from a few food shops if we're lucky.

Imagine the situation in Wuhan and then apply it to Thailand.

If it gets that bad(hope not of course)we will just lock the gate and wait things out.

• Like 1

Thought it was odd/funny yesterday........ Had to go to Red Cross Hospital [Rama 4]  so arrived at Purple line Bang Yai, no one wearing a face mask, = on arriving 'Tao Poon' every one busy putting on face Masks, OK me as well [did not want to be odd one out] .. so rest of way to Si Lom most had face mask, in Hospital most had face mask, 6 hours letter  returning = same at 'Tao Poon' most took off their masks changing to the Purple line, also went to Big C Extra at Bang Yai, do not recall seen anyone with a mask on...  

So the virus is airborne but stops at 'Tao Poon'  ??  [at least going North West it appears]

My masks arrived today, both of them and all the P100 filters.

It's very comfortable and easy to breath through even though it's a 99.97% particle filter (P100).

The amount of time you can wear it for between filter changes varies with the air quality, I read that about 40 hours 'breathing time' per set of filters is kind of normal.

image.png.0b70008e4c46d44a115fd102d157172c.png

image.png.2f8d1259502bdf242f8e1ef122480ede.png

image.png.cd58bf2e09d4fd909a9f5a460da57e9a.png

Good luck with your paper masks!

Edited by ukrules

On 2/27/2020 at 1:29 PM, sanuk711 said:

.There is an upside to this Coronavirus.

Women don't run from me anymore when I approach wearing a mask........................

personally I am known as a 'double bagger' ( I never have a 'hey hansum man' shouted at me except when passing the 'louis braille agogo'), so wearing a mask if it's the norm will be useful.

Latest study from China. 1099 patients, 552 hospitals, 30 provinces.

Very interesting.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2002032

It goes against all the BS we've heard.

-smokers

-only old people

-with coexisting conditions.

Median age = 47.

Special dedicace to the "just the flu" brigade. ????

SCREEN.png

Edited by christophe75