construction material

ArranP

Wifey wants a concrete slab for the ground and 1st floor as opposed to gypsum board.

Columns / Beams, I am considering to use either concrete or steel.  If using concrete are there options to speed up the construction process of forming the columns pouring the concrete, making the rebar cages.

Ground floor slab,  traditional prefab concrete suspended from the beam, with wet concrete poured on top, they will be coupled to the earth with earth or stone to act as a heat sink, keep the gound floor cool to the touch.

1st floor slab, I am considering either

• traditional prefab concrete suspended from the beam, with wet concrete poured on top
  • or steel sheet with poured concrete.

I'm interest to here other peoples experiences comments with regards to meterials they chose for their slabs.

The roof I am considering using steel foam sandwich sheets mounted on steel frame.

Edited by ArranP

Sounds like you know what you're doing the only thing I would add it use prefabricated concrete columns or steel. 

Just make sure your ground and foundation is sound. 

Many types of roofing available these days, your choice is OK. 

The trouble with prefab. concrete columns is some, have been known to use cheaper, thinner rebar which leads to possible collapse a few years down the line, at least with the made on site ones you know what marerials they're using to make them...

1 hour ago, zyphodb said:

The trouble with prefab. concrete columns is some, have been known to use cheaper, thinner rebar which leads to possible collapse a few years down the line, at least with the made on site ones you know what marerials they're using to make them...

We went to the local manufacturer for prefabricated columns for our sunshade had custom columns cast with hammock rings and custom rebar they were about 800~900 Baht each 

so you can get good quality if you want, can wait and don’t try to knock the price down. The setting up of the columns is at about 3.44.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

We went to the local manufacturer for prefabricated columns for our sunshade had custom columns cast with hammock rings and custom rebar they were about 800~900 Baht each 

so you can get good quality if you want, can wait and don’t try to knock the price down. The setting up of the columns is at about 3.44.

Agreed, you can, you just need to be careful, I've seen the results of buying inferior quality columns here so was warning to be careful...

1 hour ago, ArranP said:

Are there any speedier ways to make the rebar cage and form the moulds, this seems to take most of the time when using concrete to the beams and columns.

In a recent Thai Watsadu catalogue online they had premade rebar for footings and columns

rebar@TW.JPG

For the moulds I guess you mean the formwork ? Rent the metal forms which just clip together, quicker but probably more expensive than the wooden forms+labour ?

3 hours ago, ArranP said:

Are there any speedier ways to make the rebar cage and form the moulds, this seems to take most of the time when using concrete to the beams and columns.

There is a rebar tying machine, like a cordless drill, the forms for the sides will be cheap to hire 

In UK we are well used to using floorboards, doing this in Thailand termintes come to mind, but I guess varnishing is the answer to that, anything else to be aware of ? 

Considering something like this, reasoning is wood has a lower thermal mass than concrete, not sure yet how this will work on the balconies with regards to rain...

Insert existing attachmentmodern-thai-villa40.jpg.a7200412ce951d9b58ceab87c254d648.jpg

Edited by ArranP