30 medics quarantined after infected patient lied after visiting high-risk country

webfact

30 medics quarantined after infected patient lied after visiting high-risk country

BC.jpg

About 30 medical personnel at the B Care Medical Centre have been suspended from work and placed under home quarantine after having close contact with a patient infected with COVID-19, who had lied about his recent return from a high-risk country.

The hospital said, in a statement issued on Tuesday that, although all the medics and staff tested negative for the virus, as soon as the patient was found to be infected they were all sent home and placed under self-quarantine for 14 days. The medics will be subjected to more tests to make sure that they have not contracted the disease.

The hospital said that the patient came to the hospital on February 23rd with a fever and a cough, but he denied that he had recently returned from abroad when asked.  He was diagnosed with a lung inflammation and admitted for treatment. The following day, doctors checked on his condition and he, again, denied he had been abroad until, later that afternoon, he admitted he had just returned from a high-risk country.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/30-medics-quarantined-after-infected-patient-lied-after-visiting-high-risk-country/

thaipbs.jpg

35 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

and how many of these 30 have been in contact with their families?

their kids going to school?

gone shopping at night market?

or to a Wat? 

rode in a bus or minivan?

works in a restaurant? 

endlessly on and on...

The 30 hospital staff medics have all tested negative and " ... will be subjected to more tests to make sure that they have not contracted the disease" per article linked in OP.

But it was only about one-day between the time the patient was admitted to when he was confirmed positive and the staff was tested and entered quarantine so I doubt there was much time for them to engage in all the activities as above.

Edited by SkyFax
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, fruitman said:

I was guessing he came from china but they didn't want to mention it.

But i also didn't know that Japan was a high risk country these days...china, korea, thailand...yes sure...but japan?

With so many people passing through Thailand from other countries including Cambodia, Myanmar and Laos (none of them so called high-risk, yet) I would have thought there are many who may have coronavirus who haven't traveled abroad recently, or maybe ever.  To me, it seems odd to let so much of the diagnosis rest on a self-declaration about travel. 

10 minutes ago, SkyFax said:

The 30 hospital staff medics have all tested negative and " ... will be subjected to more tests to make sure that they have not contracted the disease" per article linked in OP.

But it was only about one-day between the time the patient was admitted to when he was confirmed positive and the staff was tested and entered quarantine so I doubt there was much time for them to engage in all the activities as above.

I've probably misunderstood this, but could the staff contract it within 24 hours of exposure? I thought there was a 14 day quarantine period, as the virus can't be detected 'immediately'.

• Like 1

Yes tell everyone you lied or we shoot them,could be one scenario.There are numerous ways to encourage people to behave in certain ways.But we better lynch him anyway.

How hard is it to set up a system of calling immigration for a quick check on ID card number and name?No we will blame and lynch this guy for being scared sh!itless.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Judging by his behaviour so far, he'd probably not have answered truthfully.

Judging him are we?One of the best things I've heard come out of the bible "let he who has not sinned........"

Edited by FarFlungFalang

15 hours ago, Creasy said:

Didn't they ask him any questions when he passed through immigration ?

No need they have facial recognition and finger print data and the Administration has access to this information and being the most prepared country in Asia data matching is a simple process a modern day 10 year old could operate with ease.I find the vilification of this man appalling prompting me to ask where do I register and login for the Thaivisa vigilante group or can anyone just join in?  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, colinneil said:

Bar steward should be charged with reckless endangerment.

What an a++e lying about where he had been, and putting several peoples lives at risk.

After reading your posts of condemnation and accusations of lying by this Administration I'm surprised to see you taking their side in this case.All we have to go on in this case are government controlled media releases which many are taking as gospel.Including yourself.The only people that should be charge with reckless endangerment in my opinion is the Administration.

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, rgrdns said:

To me it sounds like a silly too simplistic story....there's more going on than hospital want to admit, how can it be that hospital staff is not well prepared for this in a high alert (corona) situation wherever an patient come from

Considering that Thailand tops many "high risk" country lists and one would have thought that it was 100% under control I would agree.If anything this guy has exposed holes in the Thai system and is probably why he has been thrown under the media bus and left for the scavengers to gnaw at his remains.

16 hours ago, SkyFax said:

But it was only about one-day between the time the patient was admitted to when he was confirmed positive and the staff was tested and entered quarantine so I doubt there was much time for them to engage in all the activities as above

Sometimes it only takes one sneeze or cough.... that's how pandemics spread!

40 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

After reading your posts of condemnation and accusations of lying by this Administration I'm surprised to see you taking their side in this case.All we have to go on in this case are government controlled media releases which many are taking as gospel.Including yourself.The only people that should be charge with reckless endangerment in my opinion is the Administration.

That is a very confusing post you made.

Where in my post is there any sign of support for this Administration?

Answer... nowhere.

My post was about a very ignorant/ selfish person, putting so many others at risk.

17 hours ago, fruitman said:

I was guessing he came from china but they didn't want to mention it.

But i also didn't know that Japan was a high risk country these days...china, korea, thailand...yes sure...but japan?

Japan is one of the worse affected countries.

I have read there are over 800 cases.

Don't forget the Diamond Princes is anchored there and, with inadequate quarantine measures on board, is producing more infected passengers daily.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

With an out of control pandemic, as this appears about to become, normal citizen rights should be overruled for people like the one mentioned. Arrest, strong penalties and forcible quarantine should be invoked. This is not about smoking, or refusal to wear a bike helmet, this is about endangering the whole community. Treat them as if they were threatening people with a gun or knife.

Edited by Old Croc
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

With an out of control pandemic, as this appears about to become, normal citizen rights should be overruled for people like the one mentioned. Arrest, strong penalties and forcible quarantine should be invoked. This is not about smoking, or refusal to wear a bike helmet, this is about endangering the whole community. Treat them as if they were threatening people with a gun or knife.

I think that where the government needs to bring in Stage 3 that will allow them to remove people and arrest them also huge fines