BANGKOK
webfact

30 medics quarantined after infected patient lied after visiting high-risk country

30 medics quarantined after infected patient lied after visiting high-risk country

BC.jpg

About 30 medical personnel at the B Care Medical Centre have been suspended from work and placed under home quarantine after having close contact with a patient infected with COVID-19, who had lied about his recent return from a high-risk country.

The hospital said, in a statement issued on Tuesday that, although all the medics and staff tested negative for the virus, as soon as the patient was found to be infected they were all sent home and placed under self-quarantine for 14 days. The medics will be subjected to more tests to make sure that they have not contracted the disease.

The hospital said that the patient came to the hospital on February 23rd with a fever and a cough, but he denied that he had recently returned from abroad when asked.  He was diagnosed with a lung inflammation and admitted for treatment. The following day, doctors checked on his condition and he, again, denied he had been abroad until, later that afternoon, he admitted he had just returned from a high-risk country.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/30-medics-quarantined-after-infected-patient-lied-after-visiting-high-risk-country/

thaipbs.jpg

35 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

and how many of these 30 have been in contact with their families?

their kids going to school?

gone shopping at night market?

or to a Wat? 

rode in a bus or minivan?

works in a restaurant? 

endlessly on and on...

The 30 hospital staff medics have all tested negative and " ... will be subjected to more tests to make sure that they have not contracted the disease" per article linked in OP.

But it was only about one-day between the time the patient was admitted to when he was confirmed positive and the staff was tested and entered quarantine so I doubt there was much time for them to engage in all the activities as above.

Edited by SkyFax
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, fruitman said:

I was guessing he came from china but they didn't want to mention it.

But i also didn't know that Japan was a high risk country these days...china, korea, thailand...yes sure...but japan?

With so many people passing through Thailand from other countries including Cambodia, Myanmar and Laos (none of them so called high-risk, yet) I would have thought there are many who may have coronavirus who haven't traveled abroad recently, or maybe ever.  To me, it seems odd to let so much of the diagnosis rest on a self-declaration about travel. 

he needs to be charged, lying mongrel, putting others at risk for what, arrogant <deleted>

Edited by seajae
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, SkyFax said:

The 30 hospital staff medics have all tested negative and " ... will be subjected to more tests to make sure that they have not contracted the disease" per article linked in OP.

But it was only about one-day between the time the patient was admitted to when he was confirmed positive and the staff was tested and entered quarantine so I doubt there was much time for them to engage in all the activities as above.

I've probably misunderstood this, but could the staff contract it within 24 hours of exposure? I thought there was a 14 day quarantine period, as the virus can't be detected 'immediately'.

• Like 1