BANGKOK
Ken Kenobi

My friend thinks her husband may have passed away in Thailand – Advice Please

First I’m not sure if I’m posting this in the correct category. 

So a good British friend has contacted me as she knows that I live here in Thailand . Her British husband some years ago decided to leave his wife ( my friend ) and one young child and permanently move to Thailand . That parting was done amicably. The husband promised to pay child support which he did.

Over the proceeding years the husband continued to live in Thailand and was in regular contact with his wife back home via telephone calls and email .For the last four months the wife has not heard any thing from her husband and now she is getting very concerned that some thing may have happened to him.  Her husband resided in Pattaya .

Due to her husbands advance age ( 87 ) my friend is now concerned about her husbands well being and health, and the lack of contact from him. She has telephoned the husbands mobile number , but all she gets back is a message saying that telephone number is out of service. She has sent numerous emails to her husbands email address but never had a reply and she has written to the husbands last known address in Thailand but had no reply. 

Taking into consideration her husbands advance age my friend asked me what happens should a British national pass away in Thailand . And is there any way for her to find out if her husband could of passed away in Thailand . 

My friend lives with the daughter in Spain and they were never divorced.

I’m not really sure how to advise my friend , so any suggestion or advice would be very welcome. 

• Like 1

Go to the Thai Embassy in Spain. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Ken Kenobi said:

My friend lives with the daughter in Spain and they were never divorced.

I would suggest as others have, contact the embassy, as they have never divorced, she can still claim to be his wife and would therefore be entitled to any information forthcoming from the embassy.

She can say they have been apart for a few years as he went to Thailand to find himself, she can say he was troubled and she agreed with him to go, but still maintained contact up until 4 months ago.

Can't see why they wouldn't provide her with any information if they had any, as I said before, they are still legally married.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If a U.K. registered national passes away in Thailand the British Embassy must be notified before the body can be released for cremation that’s  as I understand it however if he married a Thai I am not so sure of the rules I would assume that the British Embassy would be informed therefore they should hold information an other option would be the Immigration department who should hold all records of British nationals visiting or living in Thailand.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I would suggest as others have, contact the embassy, as they have never divorced, she can still claim to be his wife and would therefore be entitled to any information forthcoming from the embassy.

She can say they have been apart for a few years as he went to Thailand to find himself, she can say he was troubled and she agreed with him to go, but still maintained contact up until 4 months ago.

Can't see why they wouldn't provide her with any information if they had any, as I said before, they are still legally married.

Well put, but keep in mind at some embassies you can put on record who you want to be informed on your demise and that also means who you don't want to be informed. Given the details already shared that doesn't seem to be relevant but who knows.

Good luck in finding him or some specific details of where he is.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

If a U.K. registered national passes away in Thailand the British Embassy must be notified before the body can be released for cremation that’s  as I understand it however if he married a Thai I am not so sure of the rules I would assume that the British Embassy would be informed therefore they should hold information an other option would be the Immigration department who should hold all records of British nationals visiting or living in Thailand.

The guy is not divorced, so he could not get affirmation to marry a Thai....

Just phone the British Embassy in Bangkok, they speak English.

Would have thought if he has popped off, the next of kin would have been informed.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

87 and paying child support for one YOUNG child, that would make him fathering children in his 80's. Way to go !

Personally, I would contact the UK police , express your worry, and ask them if they would contact the bank he uses to transfer money for child support or where it is collected from. they should be able to tell you if he is still drawing money and -hopefully - still alive

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

if he married a Thai

How could he do that?  He never divorced his UK wife?

• Thanks 1