Phuket officials confirm four dead from New Year road accidents, but official Seven Days tally will remain at one fatality

webfact

Phuket officials confirm four dead from New Year road accidents, but official Seven Days tally will remain at one fatality

By Khunanya Wanchanwet

1582693712_1-org.jpg

Officials on Jan 3 gave the ‘final’ tally of the Seven Days of Danger road-safety campaign for New Year 2020 as zero dead and 53 people injured. Photo: PR Dept’

PHUKET: Four people died as a result of accidents in Phuket during the Seven Days of Danger national road-safety campaign over the New Year, local officials have finally admitted.

However, after a month of allowing hospitals to file their final reports, the official final tally has been increased from zero deaths to one – while that tally flies in the face of a national road-safety authority confirming that two people died in Phuket during the period.

The news comes amid confirmation that in order for a death to be counted during a Seven Days road-safety campaign – held twice a year: during the Songkran Thai New Year and the Western Jan 1 New Year – the victim must have the accident and die within the seven-day period.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-officials-confirm-four-dead-from-new-year-road-accidents-but-official-seven-days-tally-will-remain-at-one-fatality-75005.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-02-26
  • Haha 1

Please note that all deaths occurred later in hospital, but are included in the official road accident tally. This in spite of the here on TVF often heard, incorrec, statement, that only those dead at the scene are included.

• Like 1

I've said for years that the figures released every day are useless as I live in a province where zero deaths have been previously reported and know for a fact that a couple died in a motorcycle accident near us.

Why on earth the government statisticians seem preoccupied in the rush to get out a daily count instead of compiling an accurate and meaningful figure based on death certificates is beyond me.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Scot123 said:

Sorry but the statement just verified what people often say on here. The officials were caught out on the lie of zero deaths and even though it was 3 who died they only will count one death. I still can't believe people on here still try and defend Thai official lies sorry statements. I suppose some still believe in santa and the Easter bunny... 

Nonsense. All deaths are counted, but not in the danger days timeframe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1