Should organized Songkran activities be cancelled this year?

Jingthing

A viral topic?  

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well April isn't that far off and clearly the novel coronavirus is spreading globally including inevitable community transmission between people that haven't even travelled internationally to so called high risk areas.

Indeed Thailand is now beginning to be seen as one of those high risk areas by some other countries. 

There is a lot of controversy about whether we are getting the REAL numbers of cases that have already occurred in Thailand.

Note that the Venice Carnival has already been cancelled and the question of whether the Tokyo summer Olympics will actually happen is already being discussed and that's five months in advance.

Songkran activities involve close contact between crowds of people which seems to be a high risk situation for virus transmission. 

Some people think masks help prevent transmission, but what about masks that are soaked in water and powder?

People both Thai and non-Thai make travel plans well in advance to attend the more active Songkran parties in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Pattaya, etc.

While more spontaneous informal Songkran watery outburst can't realistically be controlled, large parties in designated areas can.

So what is your opinion about this? Cancel the organized Songkran activities this year or not?

What would be the reason to go ahead with these organized Songkran events other than the element of protecting tourism income interests? 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, seasia said:

I voted Yes.      It would seem the sensible thing to do.

I have been taking note of the Italian governments reaction to the virus.

Events that would have brought together a lot of people together being cancelled or in some cases postponed.

The casual informal celebration of Songkran in the more rural sedate areas that are held in the more traditional style should be OK though.

Agreed - I voted yes with the same reasoning.....

Now, with infected people from Japan, an infected flight attendant in Korea airlines, and the traveler that lied about his whereabouts....Add to this Chinese bunched up in facilities / hospitals on Thailand's borders - it's only the tip of the iceberg....

With countries canceling events, airlines cancelling flights to/from certain countries (TH being one) a Corona virus tsunami could be impending......

Wonder what odds would Las Vegas would give certain counties for risk.....

I suspect the conservative celebrations in the small rural areas would carry on with their relatively tame festivities.....

It's the tourist overboard/sensory overload areas that draw the international revelers & should be suspended for this year.....That's a germs wet dream....It'd be like one year of shutting down Brazil's Festival or the Mardi Gras.....But would probably be necessary......

It would have little effect for/on most Thais......

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tonray said:

This year and every year forward...safety first....????

Interesting point = I wonder how this holiday stacks against the 7 daily days of New Years as far as traffic fatalities....It's one of the biggest travel/family gathering holidays.....

• Like 1

On the bright side the usually high deadly days on the road statistics will make coronavirus statistics look so minimal.

We taking overseas beach resort holiday at Songkran. I watch the statistics on news sites on this app.

Happy holidays, stay inside if can't go away. Plenty entertainment on Android box, don't forget put your air purifiers on if staying in Chiang Mai.

????????????????

• Thanks 1

This is the welcoming in of the new year for Thais. A big deal !! I don’t see cancelling the holidays but I do think the irresponsible behaviour displayed by some of the bar patrons be restrained somehow.

Families should celebrate in the traditional way at home. There will always be people that want to drench all and sundry in ice cold water by the bucket full, so people will have to deal with it if you want to participate. 

On 2/26/2020 at 4:11 PM, CNXexpat said:

You can not cancel. The Thais are celebrating it - with or without permission. Expect to become wet.

People seems to think it's just a common holiday in Thailand. It's bigger than all the other holidays combined. Would people back home want Christmas and New Year holidays to be cancelled? I guess the answer is no. And April is low season. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Benmart said:

Sadly, greed, corruption and denial may prevent any sensible decision from those whose sensibility makes no sense.

You're not the sharpest knife in the drawer,are you? Those "40" cases who are infected by the Coronavirus must really scare you. If you're even here. Do you have a clue how big Songkran is in Thailand? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I voted "Not sure". There is no need to make a decision today about an event 6 to 7 weeks away.

There are 2 factors to take into account:

1. Has the Coronavirus situation got appreciably worse or better?

2. Same question re the drought.

Review in 4 weeks.

1 hour ago, realenglish1 said:

Yes it should be cancelled Why risk the virus from spreading Perfect breeding ground  Close  contact and lots of water

Lots of water could be a good thing. Isn't one of the advertised preventive measures the regular washing of hands? Songkran will wash the whole body. Got to be a good thing.

I voted no since the Thai people are not going to take any notice of a bunch of old expats on an obscure internet forum.

Besides if any of the said expats ever actually experienced a traditional Songkran ceremony they would probably support Songkran.

Sadly too many only know and experience the booze and water fights and think that is Songkran.

On 2/26/2020 at 5:03 PM, darksidedog said:

An extra factor to be considered is the fact that right now Thailand doesn't have much water, so to throw millions of gallons around which they really can't spare

That's no different from any other year when so many people say the same thing but it never causes any additional problems.

• Sad 1