BANGKOK
Jingthing

Should organized Songkran activities be cancelled this year?

A viral topic?  

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

How can you stop it, turn all the water off, ban the sale of powder and arrest anyone throwing water ?

• Like 1

This is the welcoming in of the new year for Thais. A big deal !! I don’t see cancelling the holidays but I do think the irresponsible behaviour displayed by some of the bar patrons be restrained somehow.

Families should celebrate in the traditional way at home. There will always be people that want to drench all and sundry in ice cold water by the bucket full, so people will have to deal with it if you want to participate. 

I voted Yes with the Chinese virus on going plus water shortage here in country 

But cant see it getting stopped as a Thai holiday

Wont be many tourist farangs coming from Europe ect

But no doubt the  ones here in pattaya will be out in force 

On 2/26/2020 at 4:11 PM, CNXexpat said:

You can not cancel. The Thais are celebrating it - with or without permission. Expect to become wet.

People seems to think it's just a common holiday in Thailand. It's bigger than all the other holidays combined. Would people back home want Christmas and New Year holidays to be cancelled? I guess the answer is no. And April is low season. 

• Thanks 1

Yes it should be cancelled Why risk the virus from spreading Perfect breeding ground  Close  contact and lots of water

Sadly, greed, corruption and denial may prevent any sensible decision from those whose sensibility makes no sense.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Benmart said:

Sadly, greed, corruption and denial may prevent any sensible decision from those whose sensibility makes no sense.

You're not the sharpest knife in the drawer,are you? Those "40" cases who are infected by the Coronavirus must really scare you. If you're even here. Do you have a clue how big Songkran is in Thailand? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You actually believe that there are only 40 cases? 

400 who cares

It's not as bad as swine flu

• Like 1

I voted "Not sure". There is no need to make a decision today about an event 6 to 7 weeks away.

There are 2 factors to take into account:

1. Has the Coronavirus situation got appreciably worse or better?

2. Same question re the drought.

Review in 4 weeks.

1 hour ago, realenglish1 said:

Yes it should be cancelled Why risk the virus from spreading Perfect breeding ground  Close  contact and lots of water

Lots of water could be a good thing. Isn't one of the advertised preventive measures the regular washing of hands? Songkran will wash the whole body. Got to be a good thing.

I voted no since the Thai people are not going to take any notice of a bunch of old expats on an obscure internet forum.

Besides if any of the said expats ever actually experienced a traditional Songkran ceremony they would probably support Songkran.

Sadly too many only know and experience the booze and water fights and think that is Songkran.

On 2/26/2020 at 5:03 PM, darksidedog said:

An extra factor to be considered is the fact that right now Thailand doesn't have much water, so to throw millions of gallons around which they really can't spare

That's no different from any other year when so many people say the same thing but it never causes any additional problems.

• Sad 1

Simply add detergent and disinfectant to the water and kill two birds with one stone.