Looking for Micro Business Ideas - Help...

RoboLB

Hi All,

I'm hoping that someone might have some ideas as I need some inspiration.

The backstory......

I'm based in Australia, with Thai wife.  I have a consulting business. We have a 'branch' office in Bangkok.

My sister - in law works for us there.  I'm closing the office.

My sister in law is not the smartest person on the planet, and has always had trouble holding down jobs.

And I'm about to make her unemployed.  Not great for family relationships!

Option 1, she goes to find another job.  Hard to get and she probably won't do well.

Option 2, we 'buy' her a job.  i.e. we set up a small business that is not hard to operate.  Fund it, get her started.

Option 3. Actually buy a small business?  Don't really want to throw more than about $20,000 at this though. 

Any thoughts on a fairly simple small business we could try to start / acquire for her?

She has reasonable office / project management skills.

Also tried a small food delivery business in the past.

One of my businesses has a large marketing team, so whatever we set up, we can build a good website and kick off the marketing.

I had thought of:

Commercial Cleaning

Some sort of online business selling Thai products.

Would really appreciate any other ideas though!

Edited by RoboLB

48 minutes ago, henry2109 said:

Option 2 and 3 are not good ideas, as you perfectly know.

People who are succesfull self-employed must have certain attidudes, and per your description your sister in law does not have them. Dont cause yourself a headeache, and let it go. 

Yes, I understand what you are saying...

But (1) I feel I need to help in some way  and (2) If it's something that better suits her ability and interest it might work.

I can't really do nothing....  

39 minutes ago, frequentatore said:

Why are you closing in Bangkok? Your sister-in-law is not bringing any business?

Complicated.

We have been there for 20 years using different structures / models.   This one is no longer working.

Not directly her fault.......

Edited by RoboLB

Option 2 and 3 are almost the same. And option 1 is not reeeeally feasable like you said if you want to keep family relations intact.

Instead of starting up a business for her, which will eventually be run into ground and everybody else blamed except herself, go with option 3 and buy a small business. Dont go with a random "no-name" business, but look into a franchise. Franchises generally are successful, they do lot of the marketing for you and hold you by the hand to a certain extend. She could do well with that and everybody is happy. She may fail, but she cant blame you or the franchise for it.

Question is what kind of franchise that also meets the budget. Reading your post and me thinking of franchise, reminded me of this thread last month:
https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1141531-laundromat-automatic-washing-machines-coins-operated-laundry-in-thailand-just-a-trend-or-profitable-business/

I know of 1 franchise that does this ( otteri wash & dry ). As mentioned in that thread, I think it can work. However, I dont know what the intial buy-in and setup fees are.

Another idea would be a small franchise coffee shop, an up and coming one that has potential to do well. Those may be within the budget.

Hope that helped. Good luck

42 minutes ago, NiwPix said:

Option 2 and 3 are almost the same. And option 1 is not reeeeally feasable like you said if you want to keep family relations intact.

Instead of starting up a business for her, which will eventually be run into ground and everybody else blamed except herself, go with option 3 and buy a small business. Dont go with a random "no-name" business, but look into a franchise. Franchises generally are successful, they do lot of the marketing for you and hold you by the hand to a certain extend. She could do well with that and everybody is happy. She may fail, but she cant blame you or the franchise for it.

Question is what kind of franchise that also meets the budget. Reading your post and me thinking of franchise, reminded me of this thread last month:
https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1141531-laundromat-automatic-washing-machines-coins-operated-laundry-in-thailand-just-a-trend-or-profitable-business/

I know of 1 franchise that does this ( otteri wash & dry ). As mentioned in that thread, I think it can work. However, I dont know what the intial buy-in and setup fees are.

Another idea would be a small franchise coffee shop, an up and coming one that has potential to do well. Those may be within the budget.

Hope that helped. Good luck

Thanks.  Good feedback.   I'll certainly go take a look at that thread.

You would be better off giving her a sum of money and leaving it up to her.

If your choice fails it's your problem. If her choice fails it's easier to deal with.

Incidentally, Option 1 is not hard at all in Bangkok. There are literally thousands of jobs for people with the right office skills.