Economic heart failure is all PM’s fault, says opposition

snoop1130

1 hour ago, TheAppletons said:

I'm not really understanding the point you're trying to make here.

Yes, exports are most probably contracting.  Yes, Thais are (individually) up to their necks in debt mainly due to the large income inequality/equality gap in the country.  330 thb/day for a minimum wage?  As I told my friend Eileen - come on!  (I crack myself up....C'mon Eileen, lol.)

The government, however, could reduce tariffs, enter into free trade agreements, promote competition to open domestic and international markets to local entrepreneurs that aren't born into wealth or have back room handshakes with the ruling elite.

So yeah, I think the government - and that ultimately stops at the leader - has some culpability here due to its inaction in the face of economic "crisis".  I can't identify a single program or initiative that this government has enacted during its tenure to develop an economy that benefits more than the "chosen few".  

I have no point to make really I'm simply correcting statements made with fact, what was reported is incorrect.

Saying that the government could reduce import taxes is deflection and a red herring, their unwillingness to reduce imports taxes recently is not the reason income has fallen, the trade war with China was, because supply chains were disrupted. A person could argue that successive governments over the past ten years should have reduced import taxes but they didn't, it's hardly right to blame today's government they didn't.

But OK let's say the leader today has some culpability for those historic problems, exports were up in January, perhaps we should wait until February figures come out so we can assess the magnitude of the problem and the urgency of the need to act....or are we going to second guess the numbers!

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

Why not simply limit the number of 30-day visas to a sustainable level—balance the needs of the industry, with the requirements of the environment?

Are 30 day visa's now on the endangered species list?

15 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

Why not simply limit the number of 30-day visas to a sustainable level—balance the needs of the industry, with the requirements of the environment?

That makes a lot of good sense!......………..,,It'll never work!????

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Utter BS, high THB and Corona, most tourist never heard of the man.

Indeed.

But I do feel Prayut could have pushed the Bank of Thailand to devaluate the currency. Since the strong THB has been bad for exports and tourism. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wolf81 said:

Indeed.

But I do feel Prayut could have pushed the Bank of Thailand to devaluate the currency. Since the strong THB has been bad for exports and tourism. 

When your currency's not pegged, it's not that easy to do when your fundamentals are so solid. (I know, I know -- how could they be so solid under a coup government? But, I won't go there again, as the response from the peanut gallery would again waste too much bandwidth.)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, saengd said:

Politics is great is it not, politicians arguments can blame everything under the sun on a single person if they structure the argument and their timing correctly, a few points however:

Thailand consumer debt is the twelfth largest in the world, not the second! 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_household_debt

70% of income has come from overseas but reductions in that income result from the trade war between China and the US, not any factors under the direct control of government and I think almost everyone on the planet understands this!

Exports probably are contracting in February but we wont know for sure until next month. We do know however that exports grew by 3.5% in January and that exports to some countries grew substantially, Taiwan in particular was up by 13%. And even if they do shrink in February, at USD 19.5 bill./month they are still at a level last seen in 2016, a rate of growth most people understand was not sustainable.

Not sure why they used the consumer debt argument. Rich Switzerland has the highest rate at nearly 130% and poor Myanmar's rate at below 2%.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sonhia said:

A third world country acting like a first world super power...

It does not take rocket science to crunch the numbers.

People should know their place...

Math was not your strong suit I see!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Selatan said:

Not sure why they used the consumer debt argument. Rich Switzerland has the highest rate at nearly 130% and poor Myanmar's rate at below 2%.

Rich Swiss pay 0.7% interest for a 10 year fixed mortgage. The default rate is low. And here? High interest and high defaults. The overpriced interest rate is the problem. But again protectionism for Thai banks instead of allowing foreign competition for wellbeing of Thai society.

From Bloomberg this morning:

"Still, a resumption in operations at coffee shops and hotels from the likes of Starbucks Corp. and Marriott International Inc. shows that China’s economy is starting to come back online".

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-02-27/stock-slump-to-extend-in-asia-on-virus-fears-markets-wrap?srnd=premium-asia

It might just be that the business impact of the virus is short lived, it's been three months since the first case was announced on 1 December.