BANGKOK
snoop1130

Virus transmission range can be up to two metres

Virus transmission range can be up to two metres

By THE NATION

800_ba76b8dfcbf2ceb.jpg

The COVID-19 virus can be transmitted within a range anywhere up to two metres. All it takes is a sneeze, a cough or any other unshielded splash of bodily fluid, a Thammasat University expert said on Monday (February 24) in a lecture at the school.

“It’s also possible that SARS-CoV-2 can be spread in ways other than droplets of body fluid, since it’s similar to SARS-CoV,” Dr Pholawat Tingpej of the Faculty of Medicine said, using an alternative name for COVID-19. 

“However, the current information has shown that it can be passed along only through the droplets.”

The virus is found in faeces as well and suggested people close the lid before flushing the toilet to protect others, as well as wearing a mask and cleaning their hands regularly.

“Studies have demonstrated that the virus can survive for six days at 20 degrees Celsius and 50 per cent relative humidity,” he said. “It can even survive for nine days on plastic surfaces and two days on a surgical gown.”

It’s further been determined that the concentration level of ethanol used to sterilise items bearing the virus should be 70-95 per cent.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30382895

• Like 1

Some are saying that it could also travel by aerosols.

BEIJING, Feb. 19 (Xinhua) -- The novel coronavirus (COVID-19) can be transmitted when someone was exposed to high concentrations of aerosol in a relatively closed environment for a long time, according to the country's health authorities.

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2020-02/19/c_138798935.htm

Also in the Thailand Medical News.

https://www.thailandmedical.news/news/china-officially-announces-that-the-coronavirus-can-be-airborne-and-can-be-conditionally-spread-via-aerosol-transmission-

Edited by FarFlungFalang

At the moment, if I see someone sneeze, I will move much further away than 2mts. I don’t trust them little virus suckers.

Interestingly though, would I really be safe at 2.1mts? What is the calculated safety margin.

• Haha 2

I hope someone sues the WHO.  For zillions.  They knew it was super dangerous, acted negligently, and you traveled to a place where they KNEW it was unsafe to travel to.....  i know, not likely.

but when people put money over our lives!!!  oh wait, that's everyone.

Act like everyone is super, super dangerous.  act like your beer has corona....wear a giant rubber chicken suit.

don't worry, in the year 3094 this will all be forgotten.  imagine dying right before the worst pandemic humans have ever seen???  we are safe here, for sure, but soon there will be one person left in china.    

• Sad 1

Just now, lust said:

I’m not sure you can infect your self though? Perhaps lay a towel over your tummy just to be safe.

I'll take good care of her while you are back in blighty collecting the bins.

Mind and save those pennies for teerak on your next two week visit.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Yadon Toploy said:

I'm planning a few unshielded splashes of bodily fluid later tonight. 

Too much information thanks.

• Thanks 2

So...  Still safe with a 10' pole.

It's all good.

2 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

I'm afraid it's much further than that. Most cases are caused by surface contact. 

Not sure about that. My gut feeling is most transmissions person-to-person have happened in close quarters. More fresh saliva flying around. Nobody really knows.