Virus transmission range can be up to two metres

snoop1130

Virus transmission range can be up to two metres

By THE NATION

800_ba76b8dfcbf2ceb.jpg

The COVID-19 virus can be transmitted within a range anywhere up to two metres. All it takes is a sneeze, a cough or any other unshielded splash of bodily fluid, a Thammasat University expert said on Monday (February 24) in a lecture at the school.

“It’s also possible that SARS-CoV-2 can be spread in ways other than droplets of body fluid, since it’s similar to SARS-CoV,” Dr Pholawat Tingpej of the Faculty of Medicine said, using an alternative name for COVID-19. 

“However, the current information has shown that it can be passed along only through the droplets.”

The virus is found in faeces as well and suggested people close the lid before flushing the toilet to protect others, as well as wearing a mask and cleaning their hands regularly.

“Studies have demonstrated that the virus can survive for six days at 20 degrees Celsius and 50 per cent relative humidity,” he said. “It can even survive for nine days on plastic surfaces and two days on a surgical gown.”

It’s further been determined that the concentration level of ethanol used to sterilise items bearing the virus should be 70-95 per cent.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30382895

• Like 1

Some are saying that it could also travel by aerosols.

BEIJING, Feb. 19 (Xinhua) -- The novel coronavirus (COVID-19) can be transmitted when someone was exposed to high concentrations of aerosol in a relatively closed environment for a long time, according to the country's health authorities.

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2020-02/19/c_138798935.htm

Also in the Thailand Medical News.

https://www.thailandmedical.news/news/china-officially-announces-that-the-coronavirus-can-be-airborne-and-can-be-conditionally-spread-via-aerosol-transmission-

Edited by FarFlungFalang

I hope someone sues the WHO.  For zillions.  They knew it was super dangerous, acted negligently, and you traveled to a place where they KNEW it was unsafe to travel to.....  i know, not likely.

but when people put money over our lives!!!  oh wait, that's everyone.

Act like everyone is super, super dangerous.  act like your beer has corona....wear a giant rubber chicken suit.

don't worry, in the year 3094 this will all be forgotten.  imagine dying right before the worst pandemic humans have ever seen???  we are safe here, for sure, but soon there will be one person left in china.    

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

I'm afraid it's much further than that. Most cases are caused by surface contact. 

Not sure about that. My gut feeling is most transmissions person-to-person have happened in close quarters. More fresh saliva flying around. Nobody really knows.

Jesus wept.

We should be cautious and take appropriate measures.

It is estimated Flu kills >1,000 people per year in UK, every year, population 70 million.

Typically concentrated in a 4-5 months window during Winter at a 0.1% fatality rate.

This outbreak appears on an overall level to have peaked and has killed around 2,700 people globally at a 2% fatality rate. Almost exactly the number of traffic deaths in Thailand (one country) from January 1st to present date.

Be careful, be mindful but most of all "Keep Calm & Carry On"

• Haha 1

All precautions....and monday i did my 90 day rapport at jomtien ...normally a in and out in less than 5 minutes .

Now PACKED..! When i say packed i mean i never saw it so in 11 years being here , now lines up to outside between rope lines  airport checkin type ...packed in line and after packed inside ...! 

Nice sanitazion organisation in contagious times ....i wonder how many would cached some virus ....only a few is enough to spread further .....oh yes i forgot ...those amulets protect ????

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

I'm afraid it's much further than that. Most cases are caused by surface contact. You could be 1000 km from an airport when an infected uses the bathroom in said airport. You land, go to the bathroom and now you've got it. Meanwhile the infected person has caught their flight and is 1000 km away. Direct cross infection between the 2 of you and you never got within 1000 km of each other.

Just think about how easily transferred from the money given by a cashier or a parking lot attendant handing you a card.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, realfunster said:

Jesus wept.

We should be cautious and take appropriate measures.

It is estimated Flu kills >1,000 people per year in UK, every year, population 70 million.

Typically concentrated in a 4-5 months window during Winter at a 0.1% fatality rate.

This outbreak appears on an overall level to have peaked and has killed around 2,700 people globally at a 2% fatality rate. Almost exactly the number of traffic deaths in Thailand (one country) from January 1st to present date.

Be careful, be mindful but most of all "Keep Calm & Carry On"

The global fatality rate currently sits at 3,409% calculated via confirmed fatalities / confirmed number of cases - there is a lot of local variation and various studies so far give different results anywhere from 3-15% fatality rate, so it's not in the same ballgame as flu/influenza deaths.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/2019-ncov-background-disease ( 4-14% for example here )

Edited by jabis
Addendum
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, ianezy0 said:

At the moment, if I see someone sneeze, I will move much further away than 2mts. I don’t trust them little virus suckers.

Interestingly though, would I really be safe at 2.1mts? What is the calculated safety margin.

10,000 miles is my best guess.

Just to be safe, I press the elevator button with a 7 ft beach umbrella; often I just tell someone else the floor number. Good to know Thai numbers, well worth the 6,000 baht language coarse.  Russians don't understand English numbers or Thai numbers, note to self 'learn Russian numbers' OR ' exit elevators with Russians'.  Hate to leave the elevators when I already leave songtoawes, malls, 7-11's, bars, and such".

Edited by IAMHERE

pretty sure is patient sneezes in shopping mall, bus, plane, bts, the aerosol will just hang around and everybody walking true it will/might catch is

whatever you do, don't stop drinking your high sugar beverages ... to give your body the chance to catch it while your immune is sleeping (6 hours)

google: 

Eating or drinking too much sugar curbs immune system cells that attack bacteria. This effect lasts for at least a few hours after downing a couple of sugary drinks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, justin case said:

Eating or drinking too much sugar curbs immune system cells that attack bacteria. This effect lasts for at least a few hours after downing a couple of sugary drinks

Lol, we're talking about a virus here, not bacteria.

19 hours ago, Ventenio said:

I hope someone sues the WHO.  For zillions.  They knew it was super dangerous, acted negligently, and you traveled to a place where they KNEW it was unsafe to travel to.....  i know, not likely.

Most likely WHO is IMMUNE from a lawsuit, just like the UN peacekeepers from Nepal who spread cholera widely in Haiti.

20 hours ago, Ventenio said:

but when people put money over our lives!!!  oh wait, that's everyone.

Act like everyone is super, super dangerous.  act like your beer has corona....wear a giant rubber chicken suit.

don't worry, in the year 3094 this will all be forgotten.  imagine dying right before the worst pandemic humans have ever seen???  we are safe here, for sure, but soon there will be one person left in china.    

And her name will be Medusa. One look and. . . 

11 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

10,000 miles is my best guess.

Just to be safe, I press the elevator button with a 7 ft beach umbrella; often I just tell someone else the floor number. Good to know Thai numbers, well worth the 6,000 baht language coarse.  Russians don't understand English numbers or Thai numbers, note to self 'learn Russian numbers' OR ' exit elevators with Russians'.  Hate to leave the elevators when I already leave songtoawes, malls, 7-11's, bars, and such".

I have for a while now always touched any button on a lift with my knuckle rather than the end of my finger.

Not going to make you 100% safe but every little helps.

21 hours ago, jabis said:

The global fatality rate currently sits at 3,409% calculated via confirmed fatalities / confirmed number of cases - there is a lot of local variation and various studies so far give different results anywhere from 3-15% fatality rate, so it's not in the same ballgame as flu/influenza deaths.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/2019-ncov-background-disease ( 4-14% for example here )

Those confirmed cases will include people who have not died yet.  Surely the more appropriate measure is of outcomes, either you recover or you die.  This figure is currently 8%. 

If we get to the point whereby hospitals are unable to cope with the numbers requiring treatment, expect this figure to rocket.

Just my thoughts.

• Like 1