Thailand's January foreign tourist arrivals rise 2.5% year-on-year - ministry

snoop1130

1 hour ago, saengd said:

Sorry but that's not correct, there may not be a transit lounge but there are plenty of transit desks in both airports. And AOT very clearly distinguishes between arriving passengers and transit passengers, the AOT stats. reconcile to Immi. numbers.

https://www.airportthai.co.th/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Annual-Airport-2018.pdf

Yes they do. Do you believe anything a goverment ministry tells you here!!! ????????????????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carabaothai said:

Does someone know if they count tourists who arrive at Suvanabhumi Bangkok and will take the same day another flight at Don Muang for example , bus, train.... to Malaysia, Myanmar, Cambodia, Laos etc.... 

Yes they do. No transit lounge then in and out!!????????????????

9 minutes ago, DPKANKAN said:

Yes they do. Do you believe anything a goverment ministry tells you here!!! ????????????????

According to you Swampy is one of the only airports in the world where arriving international passengers cannot transit Bangkok without first clearing Immigration and checking back in for a connecting flight....really, are you sure you don't want to change your answer?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, realfunster said:

What a load of horse<deleted>.

Lots of international visits to our office have been cancelled for over a month now. Tourism will be similar.

The Thai staff in our office are freaking out like children about Thais returning from JP/KR/CN. Demanding a 2 week quarantine (after recent MoE announcement). Not going to happen until things get much worse.

Never mind the thousands of tourists (less than before but still huge numbers) arriving from these high-risk countries every day in Bangkok/Pattaya & Phuket......

Never mind that, with the cheap airfares on offer at the moment, Thais are disregarding the risks and looking to buy these tickets/packages to high risk countries....

Never mind that the old guy today, who tested positive and travelled to ahigh risk country flatly denied travelling overseas...I mean seriously ? What kind of idiotic culture or mindset would suggest this as a appropriate response ?

Never mind that if infected 'locals' put face saving or pride above fact, that the risk of transmission/spread is exponentially increased.

You can really see from the current status figures which cultures have a measured, logical, open and risk based approach to managing this disease, from both authorities and citizens and which don't......

Several Asian countries are really not covering themselves in glory....only confirming that they are pseudo-fascist/communist states with illiterate and uneducated populations.

You have to understand the Thai fatalistic mentality.......they will die sometime so why change the way they do things, it will not prevent death....Seriously flawed vision.

14 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

They are all staying in private villas. Much cheaper and more flexible.

AirBnb has a lot to answer for. It is killing the hotel industry

What so people staying in air bnb don't go out or go on tours!!??? 

But agree Airbnb n Trivago etc causing big problems for hotels etc

1 hour ago, madmitch said:

Most hotels near me were close to 100% occupancy in January.

Chinese groups stopped arriving at the end of the month but remember last year Chinese numbers were down as a result of the Phuket boat incident, so only 4% or so down is believable as other months had seen an increase.

The numbers were down on December 2018 as well.

Utilising their probable creative definition of a tourist, I have no reason to doubt thee figures but as many have said, Feeebruary will make more interesting reading.

For us February has been busy March is good with only a few days open April I'd say 50% booked but at this moment May is not looking good,

If you look on booking.com it's around 60% cancellations

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Foreign arrivals up by 2.5% in January, says Tourism Ministry

By THE NATION

800_ddd02036b78eb7c.jpg?v=1582726901

Perhaps bidding to shore up confidence in a tourist trade staggered by the COVID-19 virus, the Ministry of Tourism and Sports has offered a preliminary count of 3.81 million-plus foreign visitors to Thailand in January.

The figure represents a 2.46-per-cent year-on-year increase.

Total spending among foreign tourists last month was down 3.6 per cent, to Bt188.8 billion, the ministry said.

There were 2.39 million arrivals from East Asia, up 3.55 per cent, and they spent Bt97.46 billion, down 2.26 per cent.

The number of visitors from other Southeast Asian countries grew by 12.25 per cent to 836,788, with total spending of Bt25.47 billion, up 11.14 per cent.

Some 1.03 million Chinese visited, down 3.71 per cent, with spending of Bt49.38 billion, down nearly 10 per cent.

Arrivals from Europe rose 3.4 per cent to 916,493, spending Bt61.96 billion, down 2.65 per cent.

Arrivals from North and South America dipped 3.3 per cent to 166,321, with spending of Bt10.85 billion, down 9.31 per cent.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30382899

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-02-27

Interesting way to count

3.8 million total foreign visitors

2.4 million from East Asia 

1 million from China

900,000 from Europe

840,000 from SE Asia

160,000 from Americas

0 from India 

Nearly 5.4 million, if we add the individual regions and no Indians (unless India which is West of Thailand) is included in East Asia.

Creative Accounting 

I have been predicting a dramatic drop in tourism for a few years now. Of course, I had no idea that something like this would cause an overnight drop. Just expected the quality tourists who spend the real money to continue dropping. Thailand is facing a dire emergency situation. I estimate somewhere between 5 and 8 million Thais are in businesses that are either tourism related, or peripherally connected to tourism. That is a world of hurt. Tourism was already suffering from the "quantity over quality" policies of the TAT, and the super lame army administration. Now? With incompetents like Anutin and Pipat leading major ministries, who have to deal with this situation, it is quite a perfect storm. Guys who do not have one iota of experience in the fields, that their ministries they are heading. What does that say about the utter disregard for the common Thai people, that this administration has? 

So, we might see an attitude adjustment from the racist ministries, and especially from the feckless immigration people. It is long overdue. How about apologies for years of regressive behavior? 

This silly post about the tourism numbers being up in January is so far beyond inane, it is hard to really comment on it. The TAT will do and say anything to save face. What can one say?

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

Reading your post shows my comment about white stick was 100% correct.

Who is Cloin.????????️‍♂️:cheesy:????????️‍♂️

Gimli son of Cloin-aka Gimli's dad.

One should always bring a copy of Lord of the Blings if one intends to travel to Mordor..err..Thailand.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, saengd said:

According to you Swampy is one of the only airports in the world where arriving international passengers cannot transit Bangkok without first clearing Immigration and checking back in for a connecting flight....really, are you sure you don't want to change your answer?

No! I have connections and get it from the horses mouth!! Do you!! Naah thought not!!????????????????

• Like 1

From a different news report posted here lately...

So who's telling the truth here, I wonder...

Moving over to the aviation gateway of Phuket International Airport as of the February 25, month-to-date arrivals compared to the same period last year were down 37.5%. Looking at Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi Airport, the comparative figure is a negative 45.2%. which ramps into the Phuket situation given it’s a feeder of business to the island.

27 minutes ago, DPKANKAN said:

No! I have connections and get it from the horses mouth!! Do you!! Naah thought not!!????????????????

Have to say that over the past thirty years I have transited DM and Swampy many times, but OK, you know best, I'll leave you with that troll thought. BTW, have you every wondered why AOT lists the number of transit passengers passing through Thai airports when supposedly you can't transit.....a rhetorical question. OUT

Edited by saengd
  • Confused 1

From these figures, 

arrivals from Europe spend 67605 baht per person on average,

arrivals from China spend 37984 baht per person on average,

arrivals from East Asia spend 40778 baht per person,

arrivals from other southeast Asian nations spend 30437 baht per person.I

Remind me what was being said about Chinese and Indian tourists?

1 minute ago, Scott Tracy said:

From these figures, 

arrivals from Europe spend 67605 baht per person on average,

arrivals from China spend 37984 baht per person on average,

arrivals from East Asia spend 40778 baht per person,

arrivals from other southeast Asian nations spend 30437 baht per person.I

Remind me what was being said about Chinese and Indian tourists?

67605 x how many European tourists, 1 million?? And 37984 x 11 million+ Chinese tourists. Do the math. Also European tourists may be spending this in 6 weeks and the Chinese in 6 days!

• Like 1