Thailand's January foreign tourist arrivals rise 2.5% year-on-year - ministry

snoop1130

2 minutes ago, Scott Tracy said:

From these figures, 

arrivals from Europe spend 67605 baht per person on average,

arrivals from China spend 37984 baht per person on average,

arrivals from East Asia spend 40778 baht per person,

arrivals from other southeast Asian nations spend 30437 baht per person.I

Remind me what was being said about Chinese and Indian tourists?

You need to post the link to your figures first of all.

Second you need quantify whether the amounts are per day/week/month or what.

If you dig into more than just the headline numbers you'll see that length of stay affects the headline number considerably, also, volume of tourists by country also has huge impact.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Gimli son of Cloin-aka Gimli's dad.

One should always bring a copy of Lord of the Blings if one intends to travel to Mordor..err..Thailand.

It's easier than that, just go to the Urban Dictionary. 

Well I spent 400k last month And Im not even a tourist ????. Depression kicked in lol and kept buying vip everywhere out of boredom. But yeah normal month spend about 55-105k depending what I’m doing.

On positive side... same experience back at home would have costed double the price. 

Edited by Drax

17 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

They are all staying in private villas. Much cheaper and more flexible.

AirBnb has a lot to answer for. It is killing the hotel industry

Then why are the airlines asking for help?  Does AirBnB offer flights too? 

"Tourism is a key driver of Thai growth" so make sure you take good care of all people who made their choice

of visiting or living in Thailand. No need to be arrogant, there are many other countries where people can

visit or live in.

2 hours ago, saengd said:

Have to say that over the past thirty years I have transited DM and Swampy many times, but OK, you know best, I'll leave you with that troll thought. BTW, have you every wondered why AOT lists the number of transit passengers passing through Thai airports when supposedly you can't transit.....a rhetorical question. OUT

So just because you have used the airports do you think nobody else does?? Have you even considered also that some of us 'Ferrangs' worked in the Airline Industry even at places called 'Don Mueang' and 'Swampy'. No never mind... Out!! 5555 ????????????????????????????????

• Like 1

7 hours ago, saengd said:

Except transit passengers  don't arrive, they transit and as such are not reflected in the Immi. or AOT arrivals totals.

They do if they arrive at BKK and fly out from Don Muang. As in taking a cheap flight to Vietnam to continue onwards. Immigration could check how many stay under 24 hours, but that data is not available to public.

• Like 1

This 2.5% was due to Chinese new Year moving into January this year (Jan 25 2020), and is smaller bump, because of that, than it should be.

Watch how the drop in February will be blamed on CNY not being in February this year. (Feb 5 2019)

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, DPKANKAN said:

So just because you have used the airports do you think nobody else does?? Have you even considered also that some of us 'Ferrangs' worked in the Airline Industry even at places called 'Don Mueang' and 'Swampy'. No never mind... Out!! 5555 ????????????????????????????????

Oh look, wot a surprise!!! ????

The term "transit" applies more to staying temporarily before continuing on to your next destination. You would "transit" an airport if you fly from A, stop for a while, then continue another flight to B. You "transit" a subway station when you stop to change from train C to train D.

Edited by saengd

1 hour ago, saengd said:

Oh look, wot a surprise!!! ????

The term "transit" applies more to staying temporarily before continuing on to your next destination. You would "transit" an airport if you fly from A, stop for a while, then continue another flight to B. You "transit" a subway station when you stop to change from train C to train D.

Wow!! You can read. Unfortunately, not understand actual facts. If you say you have been coming to the 'land of smiles' for so long, then by now you should know about 'Thai facts' Especially from TAT, AOT, RTP, etc, etc, etc, You need to learn actually facts, but then if you do not have the rights contacts you will just keep repeating 'available' information! 

"I rest my case m'lord". Bored now with this. Supposed to be at an Embassy lunch/dinner but cannot be arsed to go!!????????????????????????????????

PS. Will not be wasting any more of my life trying to educate people with the truth!!???????????? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, DPKANKAN said:

Wow!! You can read. Unfortunately, not understand actual facts. If you say you have been coming to the 'land of smiles' for so long, then by now you should know about 'Thai facts' Especially from TAT, AOT, RTP, etc, etc, etc, You need to learn actually facts, but then if you do not have the rights contacts you will just keep repeating 'available' information! 

"I rest my case m'lord". Bored now with this. Supposed to be at an Embassy lunch/dinner but cannot be arsed to go!!????????????????????????????????

PS. Will not be wasting any more of my life trying to educate people with the truth!!???????????? 

You seem stressed out dude, relax a little. A so called high flying airline type who attends Embassy lunch/dinners ought to be able to convey his thoughts in a debate about things he claims to know well without temper tantrums or stress fits or an overdose of emoji's.  Fall back on your intellect, destroy my argument rationally using your experience and education, take a few deep breaths, whooosa, don't throw toys out of the pram, it's unbecoming.

8 minutes ago, saengd said:

You seem stressed out dude, relax a little. A so called high flying airline type who attends Embassy lunch/dinners ought to be able to convey his thoughts in a debate about things he claims to know well without temper tantrums or stress fits or an overdose of emoji's.  Fall back on your intellect, destroy my argument rationally using your experience and education, take a few deep breaths, whooosa, don't throw toys out of the pram, it's unbecoming

No temper tantrums. Just trying to explain in words of one syllable, to those who cannot grasp facts!!

By the way. You say you have coming to Thailand for 30 years? Do you live here or were you just transiting through??? 5555 ???????????????????????????????????????? 

3 minutes ago, DPKANKAN said:

No temper tantrums. Just trying to explain in words of one syllable, to those who cannot grasp facts!!

By the way. You say you have coming to Thailand for 30 years? Do you live here or were you just transiting through??? 5555 ???????????????????????????????????????? 

No I've lived here full time for almost twenty years, before that in Hong Kong and China for about ten years, why, you wanna date! 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Miami007 said:

Interesting way to count

3.8 million total foreign visitors

2.4 million from East Asia 

1 million from China

900,000 from Europe

840,000 from SE Asia

160,000 from Americas

0 from India 

Nearly 5.4 million, if we add the individual regions and no Indians (unless India which is West of Thailand) is included in East Asia.

Creative Accounting 

If you really want to know, the breakdown of the 3.8m is linked here:

https://www.mots.go.th/more_news_new.php?cid=593

Trying to make any sense  of an article in the Nation is not recommended if you value your sanity.......

6 hours ago, Miami007 said:

Interesting way to count

3.8 million total foreign visitors

2.4 million from East Asia 

1 million from China

900,000 from Europe

840,000 from SE Asia

160,000 from Americas

0 from India 

Nearly 5.4 million, if we add the individual regions and no Indians (unless India which is West of Thailand) is included in East Asia.

Creative Accounting 

555 you are not used to TAT reporting numbers...

6 hours ago, Scott Tracy said:

From these figures, 

Are these this week's lucky lottery numbers?

6 hours ago, Scott Tracy said:

From these figures, 

Below is how TAT thinks tourist spends....

Tourist Spending by Nationality.xlsx

1 minute ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Below is how TAT thinks tourist spends....

Tourist Spending by Nationality.xlsx 53.25 kB · 1 download

The source of those figures has always been a mystery. My going theory would be wild guessing or King Power's stats (the only place where they'd know your nationality). And please don't say mastercard, they get their stats from TAT.

• Like 1