Thailand's January foreign tourist arrivals rise 2.5% year-on-year - ministry

snoop1130

3 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

The source of those figures has always been a mystery. My going theory would be wild guessing or King Power's stats (the only place where they'd know your nationality). And please don't say mastercard, they get their stats from TAT.

100% agree. TAT's arrival numbers are rock solid, but when they try to estimate how much tourist spend it is at best fabricated lies.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

The source of those figures has always been a mystery. My going theory would be wild guessing or King Power's stats (the only place where they'd know your nationality). And please don't say mastercard, they get their stats from TAT.

The official story is that TAT uses sampling, over 16,000 tourist related businesses supply data every week which is then consolidated and reported. Hotels report nationality, nights stay, total bills, tour costs, restaurants supply data, assumptions are made about mom and pop businesses spends.

Don't shoot me, I'm just telling you how I understand they derive tourist spend. FWIW sampling can be very reliable if done properly, it's a technique that is used extensively in the West.

23 minutes ago, saengd said:

The official story is that TAT uses sampling, over 16,000 tourist related businesses supply data every week which is then consolidated and reported. Hotels report nationality, nights stay, total bills, tour costs, restaurants supply data, assumptions are made about mom and pop businesses spends.

Don't shoot me, I'm just telling you how I understand they derive tourist spend. FWIW sampling can be very reliable if done properly, it's a technique that is used extensively in the West.

The problem is how, if they are really doing such, would they ever be able to distinguish between the customers nationalities. Hotels would have some data from TM30, restaurants.. I've never been asked my nationality when I went for a dinner. Might well be my somtam thai went to the Greenland column. It's just not feasible in a cash society.

On 2/26/2020 at 12:39 PM, Tropicalevo said:

They are all staying in private villas. Much cheaper and more flexible.

AirBnb has a lot to answer for. It is killing the hotel industry

Hotels need to rent rooms at a good rate for 1 month...why on earth would you come to Thailand and pays daily rates at hotels when if your planning to visit lots of places outside say Bkk for just 3 days at a time...need to leave luggage somewhere....people now rent a condo for a month and go away come back when they need to.

Edited by Teee
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, DrTuner said:

The problem is how, if they are really doing such, would they ever be able to distinguish between the customers nationalities. Hotels would have some data from TM30, restaurants.. I've never been asked my nationality when I went for a dinner. Might well be my somtam thai went to the Greenland column. It's just not feasible in a cash society.

If in doubt tick box and take guess.

Mrs works part time for 3 big hotel chains in Bkk. Came home yesterday to say she has been cut from 2, floors closed in all the hotels, staff laid off and even the internet cut off. Large one in Siam has almost no guests at all. Many people will be hurting next month.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Mrs works part time for 3 big hotel chains in Bkk. Came home yesterday to say she has been cut from 2, floors closed in all the hotels, staff laid off and even the internet cut off. Large one in Siam has almost no guests at all. Many people will be hurting next month.

Interesting point, and I saw a post earlier about hotels reporting one thing and another, and I have it on good authority (executive of one particular top-class hotel) that things like the occupancy rate of hotels are often fudged as hotels try and "outdo" one another with regards to occupancy rates.........as in, "we are a  top quality hotel which is shown by our occupancy rate, however we still have a few vacancies".

Along those lines anyway. So how much store does one put on these figures and those from the industry in general??

The crash in the markets has been the steepest and quickest in history, it's likely the fall in the number of tourists will be similar. But in the same way that markets will hit bottom, start to recover and claw back lost ground, so too will the tourist numbers and that can happen surprisingly quickly. And I do think that very soon there will be a serious buying opportunity for Thai markets, they say to buy when everyone else feels fear and sell when they feel exuberant.

Edited by saengd

5 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

ATTA are reporting a 74.1% drop in tourist for the February 1-20 periode according to the Post today.

are you referring to "Atta is a member-driven trade association that promotes tourism to Africa from all corners of the world".

in anyway not Thailand ATTA, because the one here in Thailand claims increase not drop 555

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

TaT counts all border arrivals as tourists, when the truth is that many people are not tourists - many are visiting friends/relos, or they have returned from doing that, or they are itinerant workers, plus miscellaneous others (inlcuding border runners).

Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics - when they are not accountable they grow and grow.

6 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

ATTA are reporting a 74.1% drop in tourist for the February 1-20 periode according to the Post today.

Also from a Post article, only 703 tourists from China in February, a 99.7% year-on-year drop. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bank of England Governor Carney says BOE has detected fewer tourists in the UK along with weakened and disrupted supply chains, he expects UK to take an economic downgrade as a result of the virus. Anyone hoping for a better Pound Baht exchange rate may be disappointed.

20 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

ATTA (Association of Thai Travel Agents) figures are generated only from their members and represent those travelers who use their travel services.

I would expect that the vast majority of customers would be those using package tours, which, in the case of China, have now been banned by their home country. No big surprise that these numbers have fallen off a cliff.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Mavideol said:

are you referring to "Atta is a member-driven trade association that promotes tourism to Africa from all corners of the world".

in anyway not Thailand ATTA, because the one here in Thailand claims increase not drop 555

I guess the poster with the ATTA comment doesn't have a sense of humor...... he could just correct to ATA 555