Excessive PM2.5 dust found in the atmosphere of 22 areas of Bangkok today

snoop1130

Excessive PM2.5 dust found in the atmosphere of 22 areas of Bangkok today

pm-2.5-26.jpg

Photo from @Phettriton

Air quality in Bangkok today has improved slightly, compared to yesterday, with only 22 areas found to have PM2.5 dust exceeding the 50-micron safety threshold.

The whole of Bangkok was blanketed with excessive PM2.5 dust on Tuesday, measuring between 55 and 90 microns.

According to the Pollution Control Department (PCD), the levels of PM2.5 dust in the atmosphere today were measured between 38 and 79 microns, with excessive dust in 22 areas, including Lat Phrao Soi 95 in Wang Thong Lang district which recorded the highest level at 79 microns.

City Hall spokesman Pongsakorn Kwanmuang said today that several private schools in Bangkok could not suspend classes because their students are in the middle of final exams and students have been told to wear face masks to school.

Areas with excessive PM2.5 dust today include:

• Tambon Hirunrujee in Thon Buri district
  • Kanchanapisek Road in Bang Khun Thian district
  • Tambon Bang Na in Bang Na District
  • Tambon Khlong Chan in Bang Kapi district
  • Tambon Din Daeng in Din Daeng district
  • Tambon Chong Nonsee in Yan Nawa district
  • Rama IV Road in Pathumwan district
  • Intharapitak Road in Thon Buri district
  • Lat Phrao Road in Wang Thong Lang district
  • Din Daeng Road in Din Daeng district
  • Tambon Plabpla in Wang Thong Lang district
  • Tambon Bang Kruay in Bang Kruay district of Nonthaburi

Source: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/excessive-pm2-5-dust-found-in-the-atmosphere-of-22-areas-of-bangkok-today/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2020-02-26

3 hours ago, YetAnother said:

not some big accomplishment ; and thailand , obviously a world leader in air pollution expertise , just decided to overlook the WHO standard of 25 ( who A R E world leaders in expertise ) and set their own standard at 2 X (50); brilliant

I think there are different ways of measuring it depending on where you are. What is 25 in one country might be 50 in another. 

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Wiggy said:

I think there are different ways of measuring it depending on where you are. What is 25 in one country might be 50 in another. 

Wrong... a micron is a micron where ever you live.
What differs is the level at which a country deems is a "safe limit" 

WHO has the internationally recognised standard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheFishman1 said:

The air quality in Chiangmai is terrible the PM is higher than hell and I think they should ban farmers fine then arrest them put them in jail but we live here so they’ll do absolutely nothing TIT

The government sets the figure for the amount of sugar cane that can be burnt and processed.  The government is in full control.  I think they allow 50% of sugar cane to be burnt and processed.  Simply reducing this figure will reduce the burning immediately.  The farmer will not burn if they cannot sell the sugar cane.

Even Brazil has banned the burning of sugar cane.  Burning is a third world's way of producing sugar.  When will Thailand lose its Third world mentality?

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Wrong... a micron is a micron where ever you live.
What differs is the level at which a country deems is a "safe limit" 

WHO has the internationally recognised standard.

Yes, that's what I meant. Obviously something that is 2.5 microns in size is the same everywhere. 

5 hours ago, George Aylesham said:

My suburb of Chiang Mai - this morning AQI:217!

Dear George, worry not, as I drove round the moat at lunchtime,  my perambulations were impeded by tankers and fire engines spraying fine droplets of water into the air which as we know is critical to clearing the atmosphere of pm 2.5 particles. Seeing them spraying so magistically, I removed my N95 mask and hurled it into the moat accompanied by cheers from my companions who later proposed a toast to our great leaders. One who tentatively suggested the fire engines would be better deployed putting the bloody fires out was accused of false thinking and sent to Coventry.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, YetAnother said:

not some big accomplishment ; and thailand , obviously a world leader in air pollution expertise , just decided to overlook the WHO standard of 25 ( who A R E world leaders in expertise ) and set their own standard at 2 X (50); brilliant

Just measured the air quality in Cha Am, where the AQI is an "unhealthy" 152 and the PM2.5 count more than double the WHO recommended limit.

So what's new? Staying home with the doors and windows sealed and the airpurifier going full blast has become a habit over the last eighteen months or so, as our once sleepy little resort morphs into one big building site.

Why all this frenzied activity, I had wondered, since it seemed totally unjustified by the low numbers of foreign visitors in the town which has left once busy beer bars, cafes and other tourist attractions closed and shuttered even during the so-called peak season.

Then, just yesterday, the Government unveiled a grand plan to spend gazillions on turning tiny Hua Hin airport into an international airport capable of handing giant jetliners from every corner of the globe. And suddenly the penny dropped.

Call me a conspiracy theorist if you will (it won't be for the first time!), but did somebody in the know tip off the properly developers and speculators in advance that a bonanza is just around the corner?

Even if it's just coincidence that hotels and condos are springing up everywhere like mushrooms, one thing is certain. When they start filling up, we can kiss any hope of getting our "refreshing sea breezes" back goodbye for ever.

Edited by Krataiboy
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, 30la said:

There seems to be no news in the world other than the lousy Bangkok air and the Corona ...
BORING ....

That's the idea. Having a major news story distracts the masses and other, perhaps more pertinent news, gets ignored. Governments love days like that when they can issue a statement which just gets buried under pages of doom and destruction. This time they have two major long-term news stories and they're having a great time. Smokescreens.....

• Like 1