Jump to content
BANGKOK
snoop1130

Minister pushes online sales of farm produce

Recommended Posts

Minister pushes online sales of farm produce

By THE NATION

 

800_1234c26337caf3c.jpg

 

The Ministry of Agricultural and Cooperatives plans to promote online sales of Thai agricultural produce through collaboration with e-commerce platforms, such as Lazada and Shopee, said minister Chalermchai Srion.

 

“Preliminarily, Lazada has accepted our proposal ” he said. “We need standardised produce and have selected farmers from community enterprises, agricultural cooperatives or agricultural promotion programme to participate ".

 

The minister said that there were around 175 farmers seeking to be listed on the opening day( March 4).

 

The ministry and related agencies will instruct interested farmers on ways to become professional online traders, he said. 

 

“Online sales have the advantage of doing away with the middleman and its associated problems, such as low return and rotten products” the minister said. 

 

Chalermchai also explained that online trade would encourage Thai farmers to improve their operation and quality of their produce.

 

The minister expects farmers’ revenue to increase by at least 30 per cent through the initiative.

 

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30382898

 

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-02-26
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote "“Online sales have the advantage of doing away with the middleman and its associated problems, such as low return and rotten products” the minister said."

 

Firstly the middleman is still there, it is just Lazada etc,

 

Secondly what happens when fresh fruit is ordered and turns out to be rotten, you have already paid for it and you cannot open the parcel until it is paid for. Will Lazada accept your word for it and will they want it back or dumped?

 

Whose responsibility will it be to ensure that the fruit etc is fresh when it leaves the farm, who knows how long it will wait at a Lazada depot before shipping to the customer?

 

When my wife or I want fresh fruit, veg, meat etc we go to the market and choose each item ourselves, rejecting the stuff we don't want. Buying it locally is relatively cheap and you can see what you get before you buy.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, billd766 said:

quote "“Online sales have the advantage of doing away with the middleman and its associated problems, such as low return and rotten products” the minister said."

 

Firstly the middleman is still there, it is just Lazada etc,

 

Secondly what happens when fresh fruit is ordered and turns out to be rotten, you have already paid for it and you cannot open the parcel until it is paid for. Will Lazada accept your word for it and will they want it back or dumped?

 

Whose responsibility will it be to ensure that the fruit etc is fresh when it leaves the farm, who knows how long it will wait at a Lazada depot before shipping to the customer?

 

When my wife or I want fresh fruit, veg, meat etc we go to the market and choose each item ourselves, rejecting the stuff we don't want. Buying it locally is relatively cheap and you can see what you get before you buy.

Gosh I guess the farms will use the platform like other retailers do and ship produce directly to customers. 

One imagines farms won't want to sully their reputation by shipping rotten tomatoes so they'll get employees to handle quality control before shipping.

 

Who cares what you and your wife do? Not everyone has the time to select the best produce or lives near the best grocers.
Who knew, eh?

 

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bad idea! Im a farmer and only have chemical free produce. Whoever else that doesnt will sell it like its pesticide free for profit. Some other countries this might work but not here where chemicals are used way beyond the need!! Ban the chemicals first!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Buddha Pist said:

Gosh I guess the farms will use the platform like other retailers do and ship produce directly to customers. 

One imagines farms won't want to sully their reputation by shipping rotten tomatoes so they'll get employees to handle quality control before shipping.

 

Who cares what you and your wife do? Not everyone has the time to select the best produce or lives near the best grocers.
Who knew, eh?

 

Who knew, eh?

 

Obviously not you.

 

quote "Gosh I guess the farms will use the platform like other retailers do and ship produce directly to customers."

 

So there will be lots of farms all over the country shipping fresh fruit etc. How will they do that?

 

Go to the post office 2 or 3 times a day, arrange for Kerry or parcel collections every day?

 

Before the geniuses in the government come up with plans like this I would have thought that they would have made a plan first, check it out to see if it works and then publish it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even in the Tops you have to check the vegy and fruit very well because many are old or just no good....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Who knew, eh?

 

Obviously not you.

 

quote "Gosh I guess the farms will use the platform like other retailers do and ship produce directly to customers."

 

So there will be lots of farms all over the country shipping fresh fruit etc. How will they do that?

 

Go to the post office 2 or 3 times a day, arrange for Kerry or parcel collections every day?

 

Before the geniuses in the government come up with plans like this I would have thought that they would have made a plan first, check it out to see if it works and then publish it.

Actually I DO know.

I buy meats etc from Sloanes and I order fruits and vegetables online from Villa Market and occasionally Happy Fresh.

Welcome to the 21st century.

If farms WANT to sell their produce online believing it to be superior and feeling there's a market for it, why not send a lackey to the post office to ship it?
 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Farm produce is one of the things I will never order from online. Need to visually check before purchasing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Farm produce is one of the things I will never order from online. Need to visually check before purchasing.

I agree with you 100%.

 

If you can see it, touch it and smell it you know what you are buying, how fresh it is, and if you are not happy with it you simply don't buy it, but go elsewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Buddha Pist said:

Actually I DO know.

I buy meats etc from Sloanes and I order fruits and vegetables online from Villa Market and occasionally Happy Fresh.

Welcome to the 21st century.

If farms WANT to sell their produce online believing it to be superior and feeling there's a market for it, why not send a lackey to the post office to ship it?
 

For fresh food there is little difference which century it is.

 

If you can see it, touch it and smell it those are the most important things. If you are happy with the way you live, then keep on.

 

As my Mum used to tell me, you have more money than sense.

 

And yes she used to go to the shops in the UK and pick and choose what she wanted, in the same way that my wife and I do in Thailand. If it doesn't look or feel right, don't touch it.

Edited by billd766
added extra text

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

9 hours ago, billd766 said:

I agree with you 100%.

 

If you can see it, touch it and smell it you know what you are buying, how fresh it is, and if you are not happy with it you simply don't buy it, but go elsewhere.

Ah, the benefits of going to a bar for a girl as opposed to a online freelancer

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, billd766 said:

Who knew, eh?

 

Obviously not you.

 

quote "Gosh I guess the farms will use the platform like other retailers do and ship produce directly to customers."

 

So there will be lots of farms all over the country shipping fresh fruit etc. How will they do that?

 

Go to the post office 2 or 3 times a day, arrange for Kerry or parcel collections every day?

 

Before the geniuses in the government come up with plans like this I would have thought that they would have made a plan first, check it out to see if it works and then publish it.

It's not a new concept most countries have farmer box. You need to pre-order them (sometime for a whole season) and they get delivered once a week. You usually save money and get fresher produce since it comes directly from the farmer. The farmer also has an incentive to deliver good produce because his reputation is at stake. The only downside for some is that you get only what is in-season but it's also a good occasion to discover new vegetables and recipe. Paleorobbie.com had such box for a while. They were delivered twice a week only in Bangkok area but I don't see them on their website anymore. 

 

http://www.farmfreshtoyou.com/

https://stubbornfarmer.com/

https://www.butcherbox.com/

Edited by Tayaout

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Minister pushes online sales of farm produce

That'l be great , have to Only do that COD, After inspection of the Produce, if not it will be a Fiasco with people paying upfront an get Rotten And Or Damage produce and  no refunds .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...