Jump to content
BANGKOK
recom273

Wiring in a new cooker circuit

Recommended Posts

We bought a new oven last week, a Teka HBB 635. We are living in rented accommodation, a pretty basic Thai house, and we need a line to power the cooker from the mains box run as a temporary measure.

 

We called our air condition fitter who has always done a good job for us and people we know, and asked for a recommendation for an electrician, he replied he was an electrician too. He came around to give us a quote today. 
 

I wanted to know what materials he was using, and I said I will go to the wholesalers and pick them up to gauge what he had in mind. We have no existing circuit. 
 

He mumbled about getting back to me on LINE with a shopping list, but he basically inferred he would need a cable, a breaker which he will use as a switch next to the oven and some cable. 
 

The only thing I mentioned was the containment, I don’t need any as we will rip that out when we leave, however I don’t mind spending out on a decent switch / outlet and protection as it may be used again in our new place. 
 

Is that correct? Shouldn’t he install a 32A or 40A MCB in mains box? Or do locals just wire a 6mm cable into the mains box somewhere and rely upon the breaker in the plug? or do I just call a better “electrician”. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, recom273 said:

Is that correct? Shouldn’t he install a 32A or 40A MCB in mains box? Or do locals just wire a 6mm cable into the mains box somewhere and rely upon the breaker in the plug? or do I just call a better “electrician”. 

The information I found was that oven claims to have “Maximum Nominal Power (W): 2615” so 2.5mm cable on a 16A breaker would be enough. You should have an RCCB.

 

If you have different information as to the power requirement please post it.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The information I found was that oven claims to have “Maximum Nominal Power (W): 2615” so 2.5mm cable on a 16A breaker would be enough. You should have an RCCB.

 

If you have different information as to the power requirement please post it.

Oh, that’s strange - the reason I thought it would need a different main was that the Thai site said 18W which confused me, which is why I thought an electrician would be needed - I showed him the specs today too.


OK .. time to get another electrician if he doesn’t know the difference between 18 and 2615. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Teka site is about as useful as a chocolate teapot, it gives 18W as the consumption of the cooling fan, but says zip about the important bit, the heating element.

 

The Shopee detail puts the consumption at 2,300W, about 11A so 2.5mm2 on a 16A or 20A breaker would be fine. You could even plug it into a regular 16A Thai outlet, but that wouldn't leave a lot for your microwave, kettle etc.

 

The "manufacturer's instructions" is always the fall back, do they say anything useful?

 

Note: You may find that it trips an RCD/RCBO when new, oven elements are notorious for getting damp and leaky when not used for a while. Provided it's properly grounded you can run it on a regular MCB for a few hours until it's dried out them move it back to the RCBO.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Crossy said:

The Teka site is about as useful as a chocolate teapot, it gives 18W as the consumption of the cooling fan, but says zip about the important bit, the heating element.

I think the masters google skills may need a little polishing. 😉 Or it was before the morning caffeine kicked in.B74CFE58-D44E-4A28-B075-FE6C86EFD38B.thumb.png.1807e4ada7016f73050f0cc471b3eb8f.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, recom273 said:

Oh, that’s strange - the reason I thought it would need a different main was that the Thai site said 18W which confused me, which is why I thought an electrician would be needed - I showed him the specs today too.


OK .. time to get another electrician if he doesn’t know the difference between 18 and 2615. 

 

Well no, it’s probably the information that is poor on the Thai Teka site and in the instructions.

 

take a look at the information I posted, if you can see all the numbers from those specifications then yes he is incompetent.

 

but if he can run a standard 2.5mm earthed cable with RCBO for you then it’s all good.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Teka Thai site ("English" courtesy of Google Translate):- 

 

Teka-1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Teka Thai site ("English" courtesy of Google Translate):- 

 

Teka-1.jpg

Well it is THAILAND so maybe it’s like many of the cars that only have cabin cooling and no heating, the model sole here only needs the fan!!! 😉 or just a crappie job.

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Teka Thai site ("English" courtesy of Google Translate)

 

Thanks, We haven’t received the oven yet, but I spoke to Teka this morning and they (said they) will send a pdf the installation manual 

 

We contacted another electrician recommended by my local electrical wholesaler who is coming to quote tomorrow.

 

You were spot on with the kettle / microwave combo - We have two single powerpoints in the Thai style kitchen, both power kettle / microwave / fridge / fridge freezer/ toaster and washing machine. So a dedicated outlet would be welcome.


This is our existing box, is running a 2.5mm cable from the box to a wall mounted RCBO next to the cooker and wire the oven to that, is this an acceptable solution? I think this is what the first guy was suggesting.
 

71D76330-8267-4DBF-A7CF-E431C6308330.thumb.jpeg.a08decc6f2652c403e8db51c736b5e32.jpeg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Thanks, We haven’t received the oven yet, but I spoke to Teka this morning and they (said they) will send a pdf the installation manual 

 

We contacted another electrician recommended by my local electrical wholesaler who is coming to quote tomorrow.

 

You were spot on with the kettle / microwave combo - We have two single powerpoints in the Thai style kitchen, both power kettle / microwave / fridge / fridge freezer/ toaster and washing machine. So a dedicated outlet would be welcome.


This is our existing box, is running a 2.5mm cable from the box to a wall mounted RCBO next to the cooker and wire the oven to that, is this an acceptable solution? I think this is what the first guy was suggesting.
 

71D76330-8267-4DBF-A7CF-E431C6308330.thumb.jpeg.a08decc6f2652c403e8db51c736b5e32.jpeg

 

Sounds like an OK plan, if you have a good earth already 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Sounds like an OK plan, if you have a good earth already 

Do I have a decent earth with this set up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Do I have a decent earth with this set up?

Do you? We have no way of knowing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you can take the cover off your CU, that should give idea what your earth/ground situation is.  The main breaker appears to be RCBO, so if you come from an MCB in the box, you don't need another RCBO at the oven, or any breaker, just direct wire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

If you can take the cover off your CU, that should give idea what your earth/ground situation is.  The main breaker appears to be RCBO, so if you come from an MCB in the box, you don't need another RCBO at the oven, or any breaker, just direct wire.

Great, thanks for the info, TBH, I am not afraid to get stuck in, but I jut want to find a trustworthy electrician and leave it to him, I have a few things on my plate at the mo'. My next door neighbour works as an electrician for Chevron, (he's on rotation at the moment) he is always  a reliable source, but he won't get involved in discussions or have an opinion with Thai electricians.

 

The air-conditioning man / electrician didn't fill me with confidence. it would have been better if he even took the cover off the CU, I'm just a bit confused by the "different" methods here. Lets see what happens tomorrow, I feel better advised now.

Edited by recom273

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's ASSUME the CU has proper earth.  Then, you could just run 3-2.5mm² wires (L,N,E) in surface mount conduit to where your oven will be and install a surface mount duplex receptacle.  That should help out in the kitchen.  Without knowing your breaker situation, the oven L could add on to existing 20a breaker that is not for the kitchen.  

 

If you don't have ground in your box, it WILL be needed to run to, at least, your oven.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...