Why dont more co-habit ?

The Cobra

16 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

would make senses and probably an improvement too.

listening to the same people spout their political opinions every day... or whatever you have both read on the news... telling the same story that they told you yesterday or 30 minutes ago... and after you inform them, they continue w/the story anyway... not really an improvement on solitude... I like to go out w/friends [Ross and Rachel and Chandler], but not live with them.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, kenk24 said:

should that read shared by 3-4 guys getting really sick and <deleted> off at each other? 

as challenging as it is to live w/a wife, I think guys would be much more difficult and throw in typical old age and the dementia element with grumpy old man syndrome and it is not pleasant... 

If that happened you simply move on, no issue in that, not as if you MUST stay there is it. Free to go whenever you like in that situation. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

I guess that would depend on the investment... that was always the old hippie ideal... you can have more if you share, but people get on each others nerves in close proximity and as I get older, I find that often times, when people get on each others nerves later in life, they have less tolerance for trying to get along... and between grumpy old man syndrome and the inevitable beginning signs of dementia, people can get tedious...

many years ago, a friend moved in to a condo complex with a big pool... I went to visit him and he had all these new friends, each he told me was interesting... and they would sit around the pool and chat... I went back a year later and the same guys were there, all sitting separately, pretty much fed up with each other... 

I think (dont know) the OP is based on renting a shared property so freedom t go would be there if not suited.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, tonray said:

It would be like living in a Thai Visa forum..no thanks

That really sums it up... people tend to be repetitive and that gets boring... a nasty side is also present... and when shown, you can't un-say some of the stuff... and none of it gets better with age.. 

it's nice to go out with friends, but nice to go home too... 

what would be surprising to many TVF members... my wife is from a huge family and they never get on my nerves, they are always kind and helpful and respect each others privacy... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, advancebooking said:

exactly. in the golden yrs who could cope with sharing a house again. Its a dumb idea. grumpy alcoholic old guys

in one household. got to be a nightmare

Quite a lot of old people end up in care homes, or retirement homes.

How is it different?

100 people sharing a condo building Vs 3 people with their own rooms in a 3 bedroom house.

Again, how is it different?

Edited by BritManToo
  • Confused 1

I had to do this out of neccessity about 20 years ago in the UK. Just trying to recover financially from a punishing divorce, I took in 2 professional colleagues who were working on a local construction project - we were all employed by the same company, but they were on an away-from-home allowance. It was good money and tax free due to a government scheme encouraging this. However when the contract finished I did not take further lodgers.

I had a large detached house (which I held on to by the skin of my teeth) so space was not an issue. They were two very good, honest and sometimes amusing company. You couldn't ask for 2 nicer guys to share with. Yet I was glad to see them go and get my space back. At the start they went home to their families every Friday and drove back on a Monday morning direct to the site so weekends were unchanged. Then they realised they could save a bit of money by not going home at all. This really retricted my weekend activities and I found it just too much. I'd not do it here in Thailand either, though economically it sounds great if you are on a tightening budget.

• Like 2

Nice idea if you’ve got 3 people that enjoy all the same things. I’ve shared houses/apartments with people during my working life, and it’s not great no matter how close you are. I personally wouldn’t go that way as I like my own space, and inevitably if one of the group doesn’t pull his weight or wants to bail early then can cause problems,  but each to his own. Not sure the Baht savings would justify it or would indeed living in a better / bigger place.

just my opinion.

14 hours ago, CharlieH said:

If that happened you simply move on, no issue in that, not as if you MUST stay there is it. Free to go whenever you like in that situation. 

If each is free to go whenever, then the rent each pays could be changing monthly; pretty unstable. 

Also, one person could end up holding the bag and the rent, so there would have be rules.