Why dont more co-habit ?

The Cobra

On 2/26/2020 at 9:42 PM, The Cobra said:

The proverbial bachelor pad, nice house etc maid to keep it clean and shared by 3 or 4 guys looking out for each other.

I lived either alone or at times shared with others for about ten years while carrying out extensive in-depth research into finding the next Mrs.

Invariably people that would stay or share would move on as they had found the one that was "different" or simply got sucked into a relationship that usually didn't last very long, reckon quite a few of those folk ended up on here referring to the Mrs as "her who must be obeyed" or winging that they got ripped off, the gullibility of my fellow man still astounds me! :shock1:

Edited by CGW

One guy is suspected of drinking all the beer, another of stealing all the chargers, a third guy empties the fridge to make a sandwich and leaves it all out with lids off and cuttings scattered. All accuse the others of making the WCs uninhabitable. Whoever brings home the hottest bird is forgiven.

On 2/26/2020 at 9:42 PM, The Cobra said:

Seems to me there are a fair few of single retired guys around Thailand. I was wondering why there arent more that co-habit.

Do you ever read the posts here?   You'd want to risk living with the types who have the attitudes and agendas displayed here, for instance?

I suppose that if you did try it at the very least you'd know that you were safe in that shared car because all foreigners are 100% faultless drivers, so they claim.  Can't think of any other advantage.

16 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

Along with territorial skirmishes over kitchens, food, bathrooms, degrees of untidyness/cleanliness, unwanted company & conversations, visitors & overnights, private time entertaining guests, music tastes & volume levels.....

Everybody could end up sequestered in their rooms to avoid the others....

Kinda like here on TV - and we don't even have to look at, or speak to, each other

I'm quite happy by myself. It's when I'm with people that I like and have a good time, then have to go back to my solitary life that I feel lonely. That's when a dog would be welcome. Problem is that I'd get attached to the dog and it'd die, eventually.

I kept hamsters when married and when I was away for a long time in my own country she got very attached to them. When one died the flood of tears was very large.

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Quite a lot of old people end up in care homes, or retirement homes.

How is it different?

100 people sharing a condo building Vs 3 people with their own rooms in a 3 bedroom house.

Again, how is it different?

1) Most people don't choose to go to a care or retirement home but have too.

2) People don't walk in to your apartment, don't share your TV, mess with the aircon, go to your toilet, use your fridge, use your kitchen, bring their friends over. 

• Like 1

Quite a lot of old people end up in care homes, or retirement homes.

How is it different?

They don't have a choice, if they did they wouldn't be there!

Edit:  The exception (based on an emoji) would seem to be colinneil, of course, who found this post of mine "confusing".  Perhaps he's the one who, in normal circumstances, would look forward to living in a care home.

Edited by Just Weird
  • Sad 1

100 people sharing a condo building Vs 3 people with their own rooms in a 3 bedroom house.

Again, how is it different?

You don't have to have any contact with those others in the condo building!  Unless you're prepared for the risk of a unacceptable atmosphere, the shared house could force unwanted interaction.

35 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I am older, like my privacy.

Also, I like to get naked, and have sex and numerous girls in various places within my space.

Probably would not go over well with rommies..

I have dreams like that toooo....????

5 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Wrong. Retirement homes are big business now. Retired people sell and move into a small place with others their own age all around. My own mother moved into a large room in a retirement home, but lived independently in it.

I think you are referring to care homes for dependent people.

22 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Dementia is not inevitable.  Geez...

but signs are... it is a very gradual process... we can all forget things and do, but the frequency and reaction to the forgetting gets pretty darn grumpy... check out the 7 stages of dementia... I think we are probably born into stage 1 or 2... 

12 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Wrong. Retirement homes are big business now. Retired people sell and move into a small place with others their own age all around. My own mother moved into a large room in a retirement home, but lived independently in it.

I think you are referring to care homes for dependent people.

What I posted was not wrong.  I referred to care homes, not retirement homes.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, kenk24 said:
40 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Dementia is not inevitable.  Geez...

but signs are... it is a very gradual process... we can all forget things and do, but the frequency and reaction to the forgetting gets pretty darn grumpy... check out the 7 stages of dementia... I think we are probably born into stage 1 or 2... 

Geez...

I don't need to check it out on the internet.  I have personal experience of my 90-year old father's vascular dementia and we are not "all born into it".

38 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:
44 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Not so. My mother ran a couple of retirement homes in the Lake District. All the residents were wealthy and there by their own volition. Stunning homes with 5 star service.

"Not so"?  Very much so, I was not posting about retirement homes, I was referring to care homes where most residents are not there by choice but by circumstance.

Edited by Just Weird
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

Edit:  The exception (based on an emoji) would seem to be colinneil, of course, who found this post of mine "confusing".  Perhaps he's the one who, in normal circumstances, would look forward to living in a care home.

Based on years of reading Colin & a few times messaging about different topics - I don't think he could possibly ever find a better situation where care is concerned.....

As far as the "luck" of the draw goes - he aced it....

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

No, thanks. Been there, done that in the Sixties and still shudder at the memory of how awful it was. . . 

Sinks bunged up and piled with with dirty dishes. Overflowing ashtrays and empty beer bottles in every room. Discarded women's undies and condoms under beds and sofa cushions. And those endless compaints from the neighbours about thumps in the night and orgiastic shrieks.

No, I wouldn't dare inflict that on anyone again!

11 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:
1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

Based on years of reading Colin & a few times messaging about different topics - I don't think he could possibly ever find a better situation where care is concerned.....

As far as the "luck" of the draw goes - he aced it....

I didn't say that he could; I said that no one really wants to live in a care home by choice but he didn't seem to (want to) understand that.