Why dont more co-habit ?

The Cobra

You only have to read the replies the some idiots write on here too know that would end in tears. Would you want to live with people that are either idiots,  closet racists  or just unable to realise that they don't live in their own country anymore but expect Thailand to adapt. I doubt it. 

• Like 1

On 2/26/2020 at 9:42 PM, The Cobra said:

Seems to me there are a fair few of single retired guys around Thailand. I was wondering why there arent more that co-habit.

The preverbial batchelor pad, nice house etc maid to keep it clean and shared by 3 or 4 guys looking out for each other. Share the expenses but still totally independent. Surely that would make good financial sense too and a better way of living than on your own.

Would you share or prefer to be on your own ? (This is for this not in relationships obviously.)

When I lived in Hong Kong (and wasn't living at my folks house), I always rented a place large enough that I could rent out one or more of the extra rooms.  

Two people living in a two bedroom place have more space each than one person in a one bed/studio because the communal areas are always larger.  When you go even bigger (3-4 bedrooms) then the communal space often increases by an even larger margin.

I have discussed with a few of my mates the idea of renting a 4-6 bedroom house here in Bangkok and having it as a boys club, where maybe 3 of us single guys live and the ones who are married just use it for parties / weekends. 

I've seen quite a few ads for rooms in shared houses over the past 10 years, so people are doing it.   Probably not guys in the retired age group though. 

I reckon at some point we'll do it, as we've discussed it quite a few times.  One of my (married) friends renovates old cars (1970's Alfas, BMWs etc), his house can accommodate 3 cars and he's at the limit.  So he's keen to have somewhere to park more cars.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Just Weird said:

I don't need to check it out on the internet.

then let me do it for you... and you can check for yourself what stage your argumentative nature puts you in... if your dad had it as did both my parents, you might be aware of the genetic aspect... best of luck to you. 

Stage 2: Age Associated Memory Impairment

This stage features occasional lapses of memory most frequently seen in:

• Forgetting where one has placed an object
  • Forgetting names that were once very familiar

Oftentimes, this mild decline in memory is merely normal age-related cognitive decline, but it can also be one of the earliest signs of degenerative dementia. At this stage, signs are still virtually undetectable through clinical testing. Concern for early onset of dementia should arise with respect to other symptoms

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, kenk24 said:

then let me do it for you... and you can check for yourself what stage your argumentative nature puts you in... if your dad had it as did both my parents, you might be aware of the genetic aspect... best of luck to you. 

Stage 2: Age Associated Memory Impairment

This stage features occasional lapses of memory most frequently seen in:

• Forgetting where one has placed an object
  • Forgetting names that were once very familiar

Oftentimes, this mild decline in memory is merely normal age-related cognitive decline, but it can also be one of the earliest signs of degenerative dementia. At this stage, signs are still virtually undetectable through clinical testing. Concern for early onset of dementia should arise with respect to other symptoms

My Step Dad had it - his mother (my grandma) had it first....My aunt (his only sibling/sister) had it & all 3 spiralled down to the inevitable end.....

Couldn't have wished for a better Dad - the only one I knew.....

Fortunately, on the side I can track, they've stayed vibrant & productive into their late 80's and 90's with no mental impairments ..... My Mom might still be going if not for an unfortunate fall at 89 y/o.....

Edited by pgrahmm
  • Like 1

Was planning to do so a few years ago but couldn't find enough people around my own age to commit staying here at least 2 years. 

Could basically get a huge villa with pool en more than enough space between the rooms to not be bothered by each other too. 

Came down to like 10K a month for something that otherwise been 40K alone.
Guess it is just hard to find people in the same moment, willing to do so + not leave shortly afterwards.

Another downside is that the one who starts it needs to pre-finance and risk it, costs would always be variable if someone suddenly leaves or dies.
I did ask this to many Thai people as they lived in cramped rooms but it seems nobody wants to live with 'strangers' or 'friends' who then not pay up or make the house a big mess etc. Sad thing tho as they could have a full kitchen, living room and garden on top of a room for the same money that way.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

On 2/27/2020 at 3:23 AM, Peckerhead said:

What a lovely idea, Cobra.

Three people could certainly rent a nice gaff, outside areas, bigger living space, bigger private space for 27K then individually at 9K

Hey and get One Go Go lady pass around for the night of course first pays a higher portion than the other two due to wear and tear.. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, seancbk said:

Wow you must be a great person to have as a friend! 

I would think if a guy met someone he wanted to spend time with it would be difficult to be with his friends the entire time.

Am I wrong? I know I would want some alone time with a hottie. You wouldn't? You would prefer your other friends to watch? Hmmm OK! 555

Don't be too serious. It weakens the molecules.

2 minutes ago, elgenon said:

I would think if a guy met someone he wanted to spend time with it would be difficult to be with his friends the entire time.

Am I wrong? I know I would want some alone time with a hottie. You wouldn't? You would prefer your other friends to watch? Hmmm OK! 555

Don't be too serious. It weakens the molecules.

I still need someone to explain the difference between a bedroom in a house and a small 1 room condo.

As far as I can see they're practically the same.

Nobody forces the guy in the house to sit in the living room all the time, if at all.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I still need someone to explain the difference between a bedroom in a house and a small 1 room condo.

Nobody forces the guy in the house to sit in the living room all the time, if at all.

And I asked you if "your" condo has 3 kitchens...

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Exactly and besides the places I seen even had a indoor kitchen (very large) and a small outdoor kitchen, living room and dining area, outside areas.
You would really not be bothering each other easily with that much space, a own TV in the room isn't a problem either.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Yes, and the difference between a hallway of doors to a small room and a house with all its amenities on the way to your room.

So perhaps upping the rent to 10K each and adding a cleaner twice a week for the house and pool & a fridge in each private room. 

Fear of boredom, grumpiness, homophobic behavior and a tendency to over estimate one's sexual prowess could be elevated by a rigorous vetting procedure.

All for 10K each, what a bargain, Dare we think of 11 K each?     

• 2 weeks later...

As suggested earlier but an added bit; if it were spread out, had a pool, yard, bar-b-q area, garden, etc. but something along the lines of a resort type set-up but all under 1 roof. Pentagonal or hexagonal with private rooms and baths at the outer edges for the greatest amount of privacy and kitchen, living room, recreation room in the middle. Maybe 1 full side open for parking and such. Would need an initial "investor" that could foot the bills alone when needed.

Otherwise you'd need to start as 3-4 friends that all went house hunting together but would always need 1 person that could afford the whole thing unless it was an all stay or all go type contract.