Work permit, non-b visa and agent

Hi there,

I'd be really grateful for any advice please.

Teaching in a school in Thailand, via an agent, who arranged a work permit and non-b visa. 

The school have discontinued the contract and the agency are talking about cancelling the wp and visa, only giving a week’s notice.

Is there any official need to urgently cancel work permit and visa or could a few weeks be allowed, given the abrupt notice?

Is the agent able to do this? Are there any labor laws that would cover this?

If they do, what are the implications of them doing this please? In terms of leaving country, new visa etc?

The work permit and non b visa expire in a good few months time.

The 90 days notification to immigration is due within a month.

If you have any advice about what you think can be done in this situation, I’d be most grateful. It would be nice to find another teaching job.

Thank you so much for any help or advice.

Emma

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Are you on the 90 day entry form a non-b or a extension of stay based upon teaching. The 90 day entry would remain valid. The extension ends the day you job ends.

I’m on extension of stay, 90 day is due in one month. My paperwork including contract good for a few months  - the main issue is the abrupt nature of the termination of my job and them wanting to cancel my visa, essentially pulling the rug from under me and wanting me to uproot my life and move out of the country at a weeks notice. The way I see it is there is no official reason to not give me a few weeks grace at least, not sure what my contract clause is for termination of contract or thai labour laws but I’m not interested in fighting it, just want a reasonable amount of time to make plans to move on.

49 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Then you don't have a visa anymore and are on overstay.

Perhaps I am confusing something and used the wrong name, I am on a proper non-b visa that was then extended for one year during which I have to do 90 reports. All paperwork is in order, the issue is them simply wanting to cancel my visa and contract at such short notice.

21 minutes ago, EMMAS said:
Perhaps I am confusing something and used the wrong name, I am on a proper non-b visa that was then extended for one year during which I have to do 90 reports. All paperwork is in order, the issue is them simply wanting to cancel my visa and contract at such short notice.

once the contract is ended, they are supposed to cancel WP and visa right away. and yep it's an official need. 

best bet's do a border run and get 30 days or get a tourist visa in another country. not sure about the terms of the contract, but they may owe you severance pay. i think six months or more is the magic number but that's off the top of my head and may be wrong. 

1 hour ago, EMMAS said:

If you have an extension of stay, your permission to stay ends when you don't work anymore. The original visa is not valid anymore.

1 hour ago, zeusbheld said:

once the contract is ended, they are supposed to cancel WP and visa right away. and yep it's an official need. 

best bet's do a border run and get 30 days or get a tourist visa in another country. not sure about the terms of the contract, but they may owe you severance pay. i think six months or more is the magic number but that's off the top of my head and may be wrong. 

Thank you for your help.

I will query my contract with my agent.

So to ensure my visa and work permit are cancelled, and to know the date, to avoid overstay and other matters, I might want to go and do this myself at the immigration and labour offices.

At immigration I just say that now I will leave the country, or will they want me to have proof of onward travel?

6 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

If you have an extension of stay, your permission to stay ends when you don't work anymore. The original visa is not valid anymore.

Hi, Does that mean that you literally have to leave the next day!?