Thai health minister criticizes man for lying about a recent trip to COVID-19 high-risk country

webfact

Health minister criticizes man for lying about a recent trip to COVID-19 high-risk country

virus-26.jpg

Thailand’s Public Health Minister has criticized a 65-year old man for not telling medics that he had recently returned from a high risk country and for exposing 30 medics and his family to COVID-19.

“If he had not been detected fast enough, he could have become a super-spreader, like an elderly woman in South Korea,” said the minister at a news conference today.

The minister also confirmed 3 new COVID-19 cases in Thailand, including the man who contracted the virus during his trip to the northern Japanese city of Hokkaido, his wife and an eight-year old nephew.  The three are now being treated at Bamrasnaradura Infectious Diseases Institute in Nonthaburi province.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/health-minister-criticizes-man-for-lying-about-a-recent-trip-to-covid-19-high-risk-country/

thaipbs.jpg

5 minutes ago, TheAppletons said:

The Health Minister can't really take credit for "detecting" someone when, in fact, they didn't detect jack squat until well after the fact - by which time the PUI may have infected 30 hospital staff, scores of classmates of his infected child, and who knows how many others.  

Implying that quick detection prevented the PUI from becoming a so-called "super spreader" is inane, given the circumstances.

From the OP: "If he had not been detected fast enough, he could have become a super-spreader, like an elderly woman in South Korea,” said the minister at a news conference today"

I don't read where the Health Minister is really taking credit for it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, SkyFax said:

You want to take an omnibus whack here OK but I will just say kudos to the B-Care hospital staff who detected that something is not right with this picture and they were not getting straight answers from positive patient who last report is in critical condition

Would they have thought outside the square if he went to a government hospital, just saying......

They asked this man if he had been to a high risk country!! Since when is Hokkaido Japan a high risk country?? And how should he/we know that??

I would also have said NO to that question. Japan was late in having the virus, China, Korea Thailand Singapore had it first. Chinese are still welcomed in Thailand.

Why didn't they ask him in which country he had been? 

What's the list of high risk countries today? Is Thailand also on it?

• Like 1

The main person I would criticise for lying about the virus is Trump. Everything from he has personally shut it down, its under control, a vaccine is coming any day now, his early intervention has saved america etc.

14 minutes ago, Thian said:

They asked this man if he had been to a high risk country!! Since when is Hokkaido Japan a high risk country?? And how should he/we know that??

I would also have said NO to that question. Japan was late in having the virus, China, Korea Thailand Singapore had it first. Chinese are still welcomed in Thailand.

Why didn't they ask him in which country he had been? 

What's the list of high risk countries today? Is Thailand also on it?

The report yesterday says:

"On February 23, a Thai man was admitted to the hospital due to pneumonia, high fever and cough. He denied he had a recent history of travelling to a high-risk country for Covid-19. Only after a doctor tested him again and he was probed, he finally admitted that he had visited a high-risk country."

It seems it wasn't about whether the patient thought he'd been to a high-risk country, but the fact he'd lied to start with, then admitted it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SkyFax said:

Just to note per Thailand situation update on 25 February 2020:

Total number of people who met the criteria of patients under investigation (PUI) - 1,798 

Sought medical services on their own at hospitals - 1,711
(Private hospitals: 921 cases, Government hospitals: 790 cases)

from 25 Feb, so two or three days old...

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/file/situation/situation-no53-250263.pdf

PUI and under treatment, neither of which represent "confirmed" cases on a steady upward trend.

They've got to be able to diagnose and separate cases faster. I'm not sure anyone knows what's going on? Thai social media might actually have some of the most accurate and up to date information?

One person needs to be put in charge, and that one person needs to update the public at least twice a day. This is the time for a leader to step in.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

The report yesterday says:

"On February 23, a Thai man was admitted to the hospital due to pneumonia, high fever and cough. He denied he had a recent history of travelling to a high-risk country for Covid-19. Only after a doctor tested him again and he was probed, he finally admitted that he had visited a high-risk country."

It seems it wasn't about whether the patient thought he'd been to a high-risk country, but the fact he'd lied to start with, then admitted it.

Maybe he wasn't lying...I read a lot and haven't read anywhere that Hokkaido Japan is a high risk country. And even if it is then they should cancel the whole Olympics right now....

They should have asked where he had been, maybe he (like me) had no idea that Japan is a high risk country. And Thailand better bans all flights from high risk countries.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

So it wasn't a non complying farang, it was one of his own, a Thai, oh well, the usual applies then, 500 baht fine and a wai.

Easy please, it's only a life threatening virus - nothing really serious like.................  (fill in your own idea here) 

5 hours ago, Thian said:

Maybe he wasn't lying...I read a lot and haven't read anywhere that Hokkaido Japan is a high risk country. And even if it is then they should cancel the whole Olympics right now....

They should have asked where he had been, maybe he (like me) had no idea that Japan is a high risk country. And Thailand better bans all flights from high risk countries.

you are very wrong

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/japans-snow-town-turns-into-hotbed-of-coronavirus-cases

Japan is hardly a high risk country for the virus. Out of a population of nearly 26 million, it has just 189 confirmed cases and three deaths. 

Hokkaido, with five million people, has 38 infections and one death. Hardly a "hotbed of corona cases", as the dire Straits Times would have its readers believe.

It is bad enough the mass meja spreading fake news, without a Thai minister muscling in on the act. With a bit of luck, the Japanese won't sue for defamation.

https://corona.help/country/japan

Edited by Krataiboy
  • Thanks 1