Normal farangs

UbonThani

45 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Does it matter, do you think it's normal to slip one foreign word in your sentences?

English language is smattered with foreign words that are used in day to day language. But more specifically when you are talking to other English speaking natives about foods from Thailand or other countries, do you use the local name for the dish or do you break it down into english ingredients? IE:

Yesterday I ordered "khao mun gai" and it was delicious. or Yesterday I ordered "oily rice with chicken" and it was delicious.

If you do use the local dialect to name foods, then to use the local dialect to explain a person's race is not that different.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Fat belly, facial hair, tattoos, can of beer in his hand, wearing wife beater, shorts, nothing wrong though with wearing a wife beater and shorts, in the right places of course, and no, I am not normal. :cheesy:

The right place is staying in doors so the Thais don,t have to look at you.

37 minutes ago, JWRC said:

Normal means, ordinary, usual, typical. If you cannot decide think about the opposite of normal, abnormal, are you abnormal? and if so why do you think you are abnormal?.

Compared to other farangs here in Thailand, I suppose I am referring mainly to retirees, I am certainly not normal, another reason is I am a life long non drinker, surely that is abnormal.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, pookondee said:

You are supposed to walk around with your nose up your own สรse,

avoiding any contact

(especially eye contact)

with other whiteys who will threaten your farang "specialness" 

No; my aversion is based on past experience. 

Yes; call me special. The last "normal whitey" that I marginally befriended posted photos of my wife on his facebook page! Others wanted to know if my wife could set them up, after only a brief introduction. Now I avoid them altogether. 

If that makes me seem special ... so be it.

4 issues..

1. Drinking ..if you are not a big drinker that excludes 60..70% 

2. Attitude ..most farangs 60+ have to much 'I'm right' attitude 

3. One-up man ship.. this feeling of superiority 

4. Nationality ... some more desirable than others. Recently at a 90 year old's party ..9 nationalities were there ..certain nationalities were NOT there ..excellent party !!

• Like 2

I'm a pothead who hasn't smoked pot for years and I like 3d graphics. So unless you want to talk to me about those subjects I don't have a lot to say to you. I have no interest in talking to drunks who repeat the same sentence 100 times... yeah mate I heard you the first time. I don't trust people that strike up conversations and after 5 minutes, talk to you like they are your best friend. I am not up my own @rse, but I really have no interest in making awkward small talk, so lets not bother.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

Oddly this Pothead has an attitude. Maybe he needs to go back to smoking. Load that bong ans SMILE ! There are far to many foreigners with scowls here already.

I can't wait to go back smoking but I will want to talk to you even less then! 

20 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Hey mate, you seem like a pothead, what are 3rd graphics?

I see what you did there and you made a rookie mistake...far too friendly! should of started with "hey C*nt" and maybe we could of built a lasting friendship

Edited by CraigInBangkok

14 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

" Normal" farangs are thin on the ground in Thailand.  The very reason many of us are here, is because we have varying degrees of abnormality when compared to the conventional.

In 10 years in Thailand I've come across more drunks, addicts, fools, outright nut cases, narcissists, thieves and dickheads than a lifetime in home country. 

Couldn't go back to the conventional now.

Narcissists ? Oh you mean that American nutcase on YouTube in Rayong?. The guy that just spent an hour insulting the Thai Prime Minister. Last month he gave Thai immigration the finger. And he calls himself a genius .

19 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

" Normal" farangs are thin on the ground in Thailand.  The very reason many of us are here, is because we have varying degrees of abnormality when compared to the conventional.

In 10 years in Thailand I've come across more drunks, addicts, fools, outright nut cases, narcissists, thieves and dickheads than a lifetime in home country. 

Couldn't go back to the conventional now.

Me too....

• Sad 1

If really seeking normal, try hanging out with the Mormon missionaries.  Aside from the religion stuff, these guys are so boringly normal you just might die of boredom within 20 minutes.

I don't know if Thailand has chapters of associations like the Elks, Rotary, or Shriners.  Doesn't get any more normal than that!

Edited by bendejo

5 minutes ago, CraigInBangkok said:

I can't wait to go back smoking but I will want to talk to you even less then! 

I see what you did there and you made a rookie mistake...far too friendly! should of started with "hey C*nt" and maybe we could of built a lasting friendship

Well at least I now know your an Ozzie!