Normal farangs

UbonThani

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Does it matter, do you think it's normal to slip one foreign word in your sentences? 

I've just asked my black pal if he ever gets the urge to call himself 'neego' when posting on forums.

Oh, and my pal from India claims he doesn't get the urge to call himself 'kairk' when typing online.

I'm betting the Koreans don't call themselves 'gowlee' either, but I don't know any to ask.

Farang is very very common. Sure a bit racist but many worse terms.

2 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Is farang a racist term?  

In normal conversation, not really... my wife might say that she saw a farang in the market in the village... what else might she say? I don't know the word for caucasian in Thai...

that said, in formal places like hospitals etc... it would seem impolite to call someone any general term like that... 

1 hour ago, Mitkof Island said:

It depends what you consider normal in Thailand. To me normal is. Wife beater Lao beer shirt, dirty shorts, flip flops, 24/7 scowl. that stick jammed up your butt look , bar girl covered in tattoos in tow. Those not dealing with bar girls much the same look. To be honest i avoid 99.9999% of foreigners. Their looks alone scare the <deleted> out of me. Want to meet nice foreigners ? Find what few dress well, are not drunk 24/7, those that make an effort to treat the Thais well. Those foreigners that speak Thai. I hang with the Thais far less stress. Most foreigners both men and women tourist and expats are a embarrassment to be around. They make my skin crawl.

I take it that you've never been inclined to venture any further than Soi Buakhao?

11 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:
Down to earth?  What a load of  garbage. The properly educated and wealthier Thais  have no use for foreigners unless the foreigner  has some of the following characteristics; social status by way of employment or diplomatic posting and/or wealth and/or family relationship and/or can do something or has something of use for the Thai.  The reality is that Thais have as much use for an elderly foreign retiree, or one that has  taken up with a sex trade worker or low status Thai, as the people in that foreigner's homeland have for such people.    This means that the Thais who befriend the typical foreigner are either; sex trade workers, or socially marginalized or poor, or mentally ill or uneducated or a combination of the aforementioned.
I do not see the fascination people have for the local Thai shop owner or rice farmer or food cart operator etc.  And I certainly can understand why many  normal Thais do not want anything to do with some old foreigner who probably looks much older than he  is.  If older foreigners are looking for companionship they will find it at  social groups like Lions or Kiwanis or Rotary or at the expat association or at the Legion or at a Charity they volunteer with, or at the workplace if they work, or at  their local religious/faith  facility or at the golf club or at the sports club or on the farang social circuit.  One cannot blame someone for  avoiding some people at the local bar.

Gee buddy if you hate Thais why the interest in Thailand?

Know many that are smart and like farangs.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

No-one here is normal. It is not normal to abandon one's country of birth to live in Thailand. There are various reasons for the abandonment - financial, better sex, warm climate etc.

If I want to think positively about being in Thailand, it's that I have more gumption than the retirees in my home country who have condemned themselves to a gray existence waiting to die.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

In five-years, I've met hundreds of farangs and Thais.  Most farangs are poor, have mental issues, insecure, lost, and mad they can't escape themselves.  However, 1 in 10 is normal for a significant period of time.  The real normal ones don't stay.  There are lots of them.  

A rich or poor Thai will talk with you if you can speak Thai.  If a guy, they usually want to share a drink.  You are interesting until you aren't.  That might be because of your weak bank account or lack of Thai.  

Expect 90% to quickly disclose a major issue, or to reveal something crazy after a few days.  The best way to find someone "normal" is to find them doing something you also like to do.  Run, swim, whatever.  Then you both are probably in the same boat.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

No-one here is normal. It is not normal to abandon one's country of birth to live in Thailand. There are various reasons for the abandonment - financial, better sex, warm climate etc.

If I want to think positively about being in Thailand, it's that I have more gumption than the retirees in my home country who have condemned themselves to a gray existence waiting to die.

Well said. These boring grey people aren't worth talking to either.

1 hour ago, villagefarang said:

I am partial to people who are polite, attractive, athletic, intelligent, articulate, openminded, and have enough money to pay their own way and don't always have to ask how much things cost.  I guess that makes me a fan of those who are abnormal.????

But you live in the middle of the jungle where there's no chance of meeting anyone like that.

28 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

A rich or poor Thai will talk with you if you can speak Thai.  If a guy, they usually want to share a drink.  You are interesting until you aren't.  That might be because of your weak bank account or lack of Thai.  

I can't imagine anything more dull that drinking with a normal male Thai.

But if he's young, slim, attractive and wearing a dress, game on.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, UbonThani said:

Gee buddy if you hate Thais why the interest in Thailand?

Know many that are smart and like farangs.

If they associate with foreigners like you, I'd probably avoid them.

But then I avoid almost everyone equally.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

Why would you want to meet normal people? Many are quite boring. 

And I agree about Thais being down to earth. But, how many Thai men do you have friendships with? Most are very indifferent to us and have zero curiosity about us. 

I am told if you are fluent in Thai, that is more realistic. 

• Like 1