BANGKOK
webfact

Trump reassures Americans coronavirus risk is low, puts Pence in charge of U.S. response

7 hours ago, Sujo said:

Trump doesnt care about the virus. He only cares about the stock market.

trump's attempt at re-assuring the stock market at his Wednesday press conference has completely failed. Looks as though trump's credibility is rock bottom.

The man could not even get the numbers correct in the broadcast I heard, is he illiterate or fails to understand information from advisors, or are they of the same ilk as him on all levels?

2 hours ago, UbonThani said:

Trump wins easy. There is no opposition.

Other than Trump himself

5 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

The mortality rate for the flu is 0.1% of the population, for corona virus its 2%

How easily a virus spreads is known as the "basic reproduction number," or R0, the RO for the flu is 1.3, the RO for corona is 2.2.

Corona kills ten times more people and the rate of transmission is double.

So far not much experience with Corona in the west.

I still think the scare is way, way overdone.

Having said that, pence is an excellent choice. If it blows over the administration had done great, if it turns out to be bad the scapegoat is there. In the former case, I think he'll find another way to get rid of pence.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stevenl said:

So far not much experience with Corona in the west.

I still think the scare is way, way overdone.

Having said that, pence is an excellent choice. If it blows over the administration had done great, if it turns out to be bad the scapegoat is there. In the former case, I think he'll find another way to get rid of pence.

After Italy, It's now starting in France......

To those who yet again turn to bashing Trump over the virus

can you name one leader who has gotten on top of it?

Anyone?

They have all failed....how do you control something like the in a world that is so connected?

You could just ban everyone in and out....immediately. But then be prepared for retaliation that affects your economy.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

The mortality rate for the flu is 0.1% of the population, for corona virus its 2%

The actual mortality rate won't really be figured out until the Covid-19 epidemic is almost over. I have seen estimates run from 2% all the way to 15%.

By my own calculations, the mortality rate is currently around 4%. Which seems to be confirmed by a number of sources. Of course this can change due to better treatments and diagnosis.

If you really want to get into the weeds, here is a good place to start:

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Mortality Rate

1 hour ago, candide said:

After Italy, It's now starting in France......

Get it to spread fast, I think the health effects will be much more limited than the social media let us to believe.

8 minutes ago, Silurian said:

The actual mortality rate won't really be figured out until the Covid-19 epidemic is almost over. I have seen estimates run from 2% all the way to 15%.

By my own calculations, the mortality rate is currently around 4%. Which seems to be confirmed by a number of sources. Of course this can change due to better treatments and diagnosis.

If you really want to get into the weeds, here is a good place to start:

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Mortality Rate

Yes agree its probably way worse, I was just trying to point out to the poster drinking the trump kool-aid that its not "just like the flu"

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Sujo said:

Oh dear, simplistic things need to be explained yet again.

World leaders are struggling to get on top of it so are piling in resources to help.

Trumps answer to try and get on top of it is to pull resources away from it and pretend everyone else is to blame.

Even worse, he is contradicting advice from the experts. Why would one of his followers wash his hands, when the dear leader has just told them there is no need.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Even worse, he is contradicting advice from the experts. Why would one of his followers wash his hands, when the dear leader has just told them there is no need.

Just imagine....it takes a president of a country to tell you to wash your hands and not rub your eyes or dig your nose

or pick your teeth after touching a public fixture. Does he need to tell you to brush your teeth at bed time as well...or you won't? 😂

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1