Change of Dentist

sharktooth

I have been going to Grace for years but these days they can’t be bothered answering emails or the phone... and eventually, appointments are weeks away.

ayway, could you give your recommendations for alternative please. I’m a bit of a pussy when it comes to Dentists mind, due to the trauma of working class dentists in dark 1970’s Scotland.

cheers

"LDC Dental" is a proper organized clinic, they are responsive and their appointment system works quite well.

They work with a variety of doctors, who also work at other clinics. My girlfriend got her braces there, she researched which orthodontist is supposed to be good and then choose her. I can't give a recommendation for a specific dentist, but in case you don't like one, it should be no problem to request another on your next visit.

They are on the pricey side.

I've been using Grace for over ten years and they have been outstanding for me. I have never had an unanswered phone or e-mail or appointments more than a week or so away. Emergency pain dealt with usually same day. I had a lot of work done in 2019 (probably 15 total appointments) and was very satisfied.

10 minutes ago, lexilis said:

I've been using Grace for over ten years and they have been outstanding for me. I have never had an unanswered phone or e-mail or appointments more than a week or so away. Emergency pain dealt with usually same day. I had a lot of work done in 2019 (probably 15 total appointments) and was very satisfied.

OP was not asking for reviews of the same place but alternatives

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, sharktooth said:

I have been going to Grace for years but these days they can’t be bothered answering emails or the phone... and eventually, appointments are weeks away.

Yeah, Grace seems to be going downhill. Was in there twice at the beginning of the month, and both times (late morning, early afternoon, the counter was manned by only one person. And, listening to her phone calls, appointments not readily available. I think most of the dentists are now part time -- I know the one who filled my teeth is (and showed up a half hour late). No, might need to reevaluate future dental adventures in Chiang Mai. Too bad, 'cause for years they were great (but, the one who does cleaning, who's been there for years, is still great).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Actually, I think he was asking for reviews, to maybe cement his decision to stay with Grace or not.... Options to where to move was part of this package.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lexilis said:

15 in a year? No wonder they answer you promptly ????

somewhere there’s a witch doctor missing a necklace...

2 hours ago, sharktooth said:

15 in a year? No wonder they answer you promptly ????

somewhere there’s a witch doctor missing a necklace...

Spare me the snark b.s. I had emergency abscess and then chose to take care of all of it. Three implants, some orthodontics work, yeah it easily 14-15 appointments. 

• Like 1

You probably need to ask yourself before you make a changed: What's more important?  An efficient front desk or highly skilled dental staff?  To be honest, in my humble opinion front desk customer service is not a strong point for most Thai organizations - not just dental offices.  Not answering phone calls or ignoring emails is pretty much par for the course in Thailand.  And I agree.  Grace's front office staff leaves a lot to be desired.  But it's made up for by the skill of the staff dentists.  A while back I went to one of those bright, shiny super-efficient looking dental-offices-in-a-box that you can find throughout Chiang Mai.  I've been though a few of them since coming here a whole bunch of years back, and they all had the same issues: the dentist's level of professionalism sucked.  That ranged from performing sub-standard work to simply being arrogant jerks. The last of these that I went to had a bright, shiny new dentist to match their office, probably still in her 20s and probably fresh out of dental school, who informed me that I have irreparable damage to my molars that would require extraction of 3 teeth.  I went to Grace and it was a root canal and a couple of crowns.  If you plan to change because the front office is sub-par, just be aware that not all dentists in Chiang Mai have the same skill level.  You may find you get excellent front-desk customer service if that is your priority, but is your dentist really top-notch?  For me personally, I don't care about the front desk.  I just deal with them.  It's the dentists who perform the work and their skill level that I care about.  Something to think about.

Edited by Buba Ho Tep
  • Like 2

On 2/27/2020 at 2:22 PM, Orton Rd said:

The OP may find he is moving from the firing pan into the fire. So it's worth giving him alternatives to his alternatives as well as understanding the pros and cons of moving to another office.  I can understand leaving because the dental staff suck. I've none that numerous times. But leaving because of the front desk staff?  It wouldn't be my choice, but the end of the day it's the OPs choice.  Whatever the OP finds to be most important.

16 hours ago, Buba Ho Tep said:

The OP may find he is moving from the firing pan into the fire. So it's worth giving him alternatives to his alternatives as well as understanding the pros and cons of moving to another office.  I can understand leaving because the dental staff suck. I've none that numerous times. But leaving because of the front desk staff?  It wouldn't be my choice, but the end of the day it's the OPs choice.  Whatever the OP finds to be most important.

TWO month waiting list for a check up...

8 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

I did DentalWorld, SE corner of moat, few weeks ago  Cleaning- flouride and small filling  2200bt

In and out in an hour--cute lady dentist....clean=professional....works for me

Their website makes them look impressive, but I know that’s not always the best gauge of a companies quality. 
Anyone else have experience with DentalWorld?

On 2/29/2020 at 11:23 AM, sharktooth said:

TWO month waiting list for a check up...

I know.  Honestly you're preaching to the choir.  They have at least one staff member who can be over-bearing, pushing, and not very customer-service oriented.  All smiles and we have an appointment for you at hh:mm tomorrow.  But the appointment doesn't fit my schedule and suddenly the smile goes away and is replaced with brashness and a rather chilly statement that the next available appointment is 4 to 6 weeks away.  So I do understand.  You weigh the pros and the cons and make a choice of dentists based on what is important.  Trust me, I'm not happy with their reception desk either.  But it's offset by a team of dentists who are able to do what other clinics and DDS' can not.  Best of luck in whatever your decision may be.

20 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

I did DentalWorld, SE corner of moat, few weeks ago  Cleaning- flouride and small filling  2200bt

In and out in an hour--cute lady dentist....clean=professional....works for me

Filling for 2200 baht is expensive. Moreover, we don't know whether she did a proper job for filling.

My last two dentists didn't do a proper job which resulted in it being blackened after a few months. You should do an X-Ray of the teeth to ensure it was done properly.

Edited by EricTh

Um....there are dentist offices everywhere. I can think of at least 4 within walking distance of my house. All are clean, and one is fairly new. I tried one and it was a reasonable experience. No waiting and the dentist was professional and reasonably priced. 

I'd just say pick any dentist you like; there are hundreds of them to choose from. 

• Haha 1

CMDentalclinic.com (near train station and Makro) - Good experiences for small and emergency treatments but not the cheapest.
Could usually get help there within as little as a few hours after calling.

Actually wanted to do some implants etc there too but the prices are just insane high nowadays, will do it in Turkey instead. Have to say it was strange the last time, identical treatment but twice as expensive (different dentist), not sure how that all works but they remain the first I call if having pain / emergencies.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

Filling for 2200 baht is expensive. Moreover, we don't know whether she did a proper job for filling.

My last two dentists didn't do a proper job which resulted in it being blackened after a few months. You should do an X-Ray of the teeth to ensure it was done properly.

Was a cleaning+fluoride treatment+filling=TOTAL cost 2200   3 items

She did offer a crown but I went with the filling as I grind my teeth...

Just a cleaning in USA comes in at $160     I got all 3 items here for $67

I put my review on google maps along with other positive reviews u can check

14 hours ago, sharktooth said:

Their website makes them look impressive, but I know that’s not always the best gauge of a companies quality. 

My thai friend sent me, can also check the google map reviews..mines on there

Big Smile Dental Clinic.  Dr Supachai.  We have used him for years. High quality, good communications, reasonable pricing. 

https://www.facebook.com/BigSmileChiangmai

They have moved from old Arak Road location to new office on the 1001 hwy, on the stretch after SuperHwy and before Mee Chok/ring road.

21 hours ago, sharktooth said:

Been using them for a decade and they are fine.  I do choose my dentist for particular procedures rather than let them choose.  They have some CMU Dental school instructors on the staff.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, drtreelove said:

Big Smile Dental Clinic.  Dr Supachai.  We have used him for years. High quality, good communications, reasonable pricing.

...will try to convince you to let him drill without anesthetics. Caveat emptor.  

On 2/27/2020 at 7:00 PM, lexilis said:

Spare me the snark b.s. I had emergency abscess and then chose to take care of all of it. Three implants, some orthodontics work, yeah it easily 14-15 appointments. 

Brushing and flossing daily will help avoid those issues....  ????