Immigration & visa issues IF stranded or in quarantine in another country

I was wondering about Immigration policy (particulary Thailands) in certain instances that may arise from this virus getting out of hand.

One issue could be a persons visa running out while in quarantine..

And:

1. If ones own country has restrictions and will not accept flights coming from a high virus risk country?

It would be very easy to find yourself on overstay, if things pan out the worst...

2. You cannot go home if your country wont accept flights from Thailand..
Meanwhile your Thai visa has run out and you have used all extensions/entries
and wouldnt normally qualify for another.

So in that case,

Is Thailand obligated by any International law to allow you to stay?
Or issue a hassle free permit to stay or new visa?

Knowing Thailand immigration lack of compassion id speculate you'd need 50 pages of documents..
probably written proof and signed papers from embassy and airlines and all and sundry.

Also:

How many Thai doctors are going to be willing to see farangs (whos are possibly infected)
to issue a note for immigration??

For me, the only thing worse than getting denied an entry to Thailand is the thought of being stuck there in limbo.

Another thing:

Imagine being thrown in Immigration detention centres amongst people possibly infected with corona virus.

Would Thai immigration even check or care to quarantine people?

There are some potentially frightening and dire issues to consider with all this

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OP, you have taken a massive leap to the general population having corona virus and we are all locked in immigration detention. If we all get the virus, we wont be poping down to the local clinic and getting a note to take to immigration. We would be in hospital, and probably not capable of travel, I think an immigration extension and a flight back home would be the least of your worries.

Countries that stop flights still do evacuation flights for their citizens. I think you would find most countries that stopped flights from china allowed evacuation flights.

As burecratic as Thai immigration is, I am sure there would be measures if/when a major outbreak occurs.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, pookondee said:

2. You cannot go home if your country wont accept flights from Thailand..
Meanwhile your Thai visa has run out and you have used all extensions/entries
and wouldnt normally qualify for another.

If you are a national of your home country, it is unlikely they would refuse you on health grounds. Don't know this for sure but it is likely you would just be placed in quarantine in your home country.

I'd assume it unlikely the temporary country would prefer to keep you rather than your country take you back. If you wanted to stay in the country you are visiting, you could try for asylum based on your country not wanting a sick version of you. But as others have said, maybe overthinking it a bit at this stage.

Edited by Farangwithaplan

Thanks guys, for the responses.

Yes, i am overththinking things i guess, but there is a lot of scaremongering and paranoia going on in the other threads. 

My thoughts are probably more relevant to those who happen to be in their home country now, (in relative safety in my case)

and considering to do my yearly 3 month trip to Thailand.

The question is, could these things possibly eventuate?

in the next 3-6 months if things go real bad.

So, If one doesn't HAVE to be in Thailand for pressing reasons, considering other issues..

(possible denied entry, terrible pollution)

and if there will be a higher risk of actually catching the virus with travelling..

Well, If you are an older guy of 60+

it probably makes more sense to stay away for now.

• Like 1

OP, I was due to fly to Japan (I live in bkk) for couple of weeks in 2 weeks time. The Thai partner put the foot down and won't go. We go often and her friends in Japan have stirred her up. Yes there is lot of scaremongering going on. However if it wasn't for her I would be travelling to Australia. If I was in your situation, frankly I would be postponing my visit to Thailand. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

I am currently stranded in Thailand and nearing the end of my 30 day extension to my tourist visa on arrival, 60 days total ending and coming fast.  I work at a private Chinese university in Wuxi, and we have been instructed to stay away until notified otherwise.  As of yesterday they still do not know when the all clear will sound.  They are paying us.  I have my Chinese documentation proving I am under contract until June 30, my work Z visa and contract copy and work permit, but I do not know what to do. I am kin Ubon.  I read from moderator UbonJoe TI is allowing 'special extensions'--does anyone have details?  Also--anyone have non-Thai options for an expat like me in this weird circumstance if (on a whim) the TI worker I que up to just says no because of menstrual cramps or bad milk in his morning cha?  Can I go overland to Laos and return to Chiang Mai by plane from Pakse and get a new 30 day visa on arrival?  I read foreigners can get up to six visas on arrival if coming in by air, but that is unverified.  Any information would bee valuable.

52 minutes ago, FangFerang said:

Can I go overland to Laos and return to Chiang Mai by plane from Pakse and get a new 30 day visa on arrival?

Just do a border hop, turn around and come right back to get a 30 day visa exempt entry (a visa on arrival is only for 15 days for those from certain countries).

7 hours ago, FangFerang said:

I am currently stranded in Thailand and nearing the end of my 30 day extension to my tourist visa on arrival, 60 days total ending and coming fast.  I work at a private Chinese university in Wuxi, and we have been instructed to stay away until notified otherwise.  As of yesterday they still do not know when the all clear will sound.  They are paying us.  I have my Chinese documentation proving I am under contract until June 30, my work Z visa and contract copy and work permit, but I do not know what to do. I am kin Ubon.  I read from moderator UbonJoe TI is allowing 'special extensions'--does anyone have details?  Also--anyone have non-Thai options for an expat like me in this weird circumstance if (on a whim) the TI worker I que up to just says no because of menstrual cramps or bad milk in his morning cha?  Can I go overland to Laos and return to Chiang Mai by plane from Pakse and get a new 30 day visa on arrival?  I read foreigners can get up to six visas on arrival if coming in by air, but that is unverified.  Any information would bee valuable.

This is along the same lines as what i was thinking about.

If you were absolutely forced to stay in Thailand because of what id call "extraordinary circumstances"

It shouldnt be up to you to go around hunting tourist visas

and chance getting knocked back.

Especially if it was impossible or impractical to return to ones home due to the virus.

Im just wondering If people end up being stuck in limbo under those circumstances,

will it come down to getting your embassy involved and getting them to work with Immigration to come up with some temporary visa arrangement?

(as far as visas running out and overstay goes)

One thing for sure, it will not be much use trying to explain that kind of situation to your typical Thai Immigration officer.

13 hours ago, FangFerang said:

I am currently stranded in Thailand and nearing the end of my 30 day extension to my tourist visa on arrival, 60 days total ending and coming fast.  I work at a private Chinese university in Wuxi, and we have been instructed to stay away until notified otherwise.  As of yesterday they still do not know when the all clear will sound.  They are paying us.  I have my Chinese documentation proving I am under contract until June 30, my work Z visa and contract copy and work permit, but I do not know what to do. I am kin Ubon. 

I don't think Thai immigration would consider you "stranded" in Thailand. While you work in China, it's not your home country, so you could presumably fly to your home country and wait there until you can return to China.

That said, your situation is easily remedied by doing a border run, which would give you another 30 (or 60, with extension) days.

• Like 1

I have four passports (USA, Spain, Trinidad and Tobago, and Antigua and Barbuda). Recently I have applied for 10-year India Visa that gives me to stay in India for 6-month continuously. India, Caribbeans, and South America looks safe now or wait for the heat to pick up in Thailand that would kill all virus as some officials,  including Trump claims. 

I posted this on another topic a couple of days ago,my Thai wife has ILR visa for the UK which means she must visit UK within two years or lose ILR visa she is planning on travel to UK in May to keep ILR alive, if Thailand were to block Thai people from leaving Thailand or more likely UK puts block on visitors from Thailand how would she stand. i know it's all supposition at the moment so probably have to wait and see, hasten to add she would hate to lose her UK ILR visa!

On 2/27/2020 at 8:20 AM, pookondee said:

One issue could be a persons visa running out while in quarantine..

yes this and endless more examples of what is going to happen during the world wide pandemic.

that is why this is not so much about getting the virus as making your plan now of how you are going to get through this in the coming months. 

I fly out  to UK on 31 Mar cannot delay ticket any later its last day of yearly return

Not quite sure what UK will do re quarantine.. hopefully nothing 

If there is some requirement ugh... ..I have plans to visit various friends on days after arrival that would mess things up as some hotels have been pre booked

Home quarantine also would not suitable as although large house in it resides 97 year old dad 

Actual enforced quarantine(hopefully at no cost to me)  is also not desirable they probably dont include free beer and decent food... indian food Fish n chips Etc which again is one of the main reasons for visiting????

This whole thing is rapidly becoming a pain in the Ass 

Edited by poohy

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

I've booked a BA ticket to UK in July.  What are my rights if UK stop flights from Thailand?

That's the problem. I have flight X bkk/Osaka in couple of weeks. Apparently my Thai partner won't go. Im happy to roll the dice. She aint.

Money down the drain. Also the airbnb,s I booked only very partial refund. 

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

I've booked a BA ticket to UK in July.  What are my rights if UK stop flights from Thailand?

You have the right to ask Boris - ever so nicely - to evacuate you.

Seriously though, if numbers pick up dramatically, that might just happen.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that I have trip to Japan March 18. Flying AirAsia.

Just see now email that flight canceled.

Not the usual "change of flight" notice. Another flight was not offered. Just details of options for credit, refund etc. 

I doubt they have stopped flights. Interesting. 

I just checked outbound flights. The only one offered after march 18 is march 30.

Then nothing till late in April. Also insurance has been removed as an option.

Appears indeed you could become stranded. 

Edited by DrJack54

19 hours ago, Caldera said:

You have the right to ask Boris - ever so nicely - to evacuate you.

Seriously though, if numbers pick up dramatically, that might just happen.

The quoted figures show more cases in UK than here.  Maybe Thailand might not let me back in?

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I mentioned earlier in this thread that I have trip to Japan March 18. Flying AirAsia.

Just see now email that flight canceled.

Not the usual "change of flight" notice. Another flight was not offered. Just details of options for credit, refund etc. 

I doubt they have stopped flights. Interesting. 

I just checked outbound flights. The only one offered after march 18 is march 30.

Then nothing till late in April. Also insurance has been removed as an option.

Appears indeed you could become stranded. 

My Air Asia flight to Shanghai on 9 Feb was cancelled also. They consolidated flights due to low demand so I was just lucky / unlucky. Now I need to fly back on 15 Mar but sadly no flights available for the whole of March...I lost my ticket ????

In fact there are no flights at all from Don Mueang for my dates, only from BKK with Chinese Airlines of questionable quality.

Edited by GanDoonToonPet

Just now, GanDoonToonPet said:

My Air Asia flight to Shanghai on 9 Feb was cancelled also. They consolidated flights due to low demand so I was just lucky / unlucky. Now I need to fly back on 15 Mar but sadly no flights available for the whole of March...I lost my ticket ????

In fact there are no flights at all from Don Mueang for my dates, only from BKK with Chinese Airlines of questionable quality.

You have summed it up.

I was just checking AA flights X Kansai to DMK. The norm is daily flights. There is only 2 flights in April.

I Fly to Saigon March 13. That's also looking dicey.