Where can I get tested for the Coronavirus and if necessary treatment?

delgarcon

1 hour ago, donmuang37 said:

The OP is incorrect to state the risk of serious highway accidents is "minuscule."  Even if a driver or pedestrian exercises extreme caution, they cannot control the often reckless actions of others. Thailand has one of the most dangerous highway systems in the world.  Time to wake up and smell the coffee!  Good luck.

another non rider who knows it all

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, donmuang37 said:

The OP is incorrect to state the risk of serious highway accidents is "minuscule."  Even if a driver or pedestrian exercises extreme caution, they cannot control the often reckless actions of others. Thailand has one of the most dangerous highway systems in the world.  Time to wake up and smell the coffee!  Good luck.

Totally agree, Donmuang, and anyone who thinks otherwise is sadly misguided. I have lived in UK and USA for about 38 years combined, and do not know of one friend or acquaintance killed in a traffic accident, yet here, for the same amount of time, I have lost count ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just go to your local hospital. They will determine if you need COVID19 testing based on your travel history as well as your symptoms. Also note if you have been to any of the 9 countries listed on the MOPH website and have symptoms within 14 days you have to report to a hospital immediately (by the Act).  https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/index.php

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, delgarcon said:

Thanks for your reply scuba, but if the non existent info on their website is anything to go by I hope I never need to call them. There is no mention of the virus on the site and most of the links don't work.

By far the most well equipped and experienced is the Wuhan hospital, but you can't get there directly... you'd have to fly to Beijing first and then hop on a train to Busan... sorry, to Wuhan... 

A bit convoluted but well worth the effort... 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

Totally agree, Donmuang, and anyone who thinks otherwise is sadly misguided. I have lived in UK and USA for about 38 years combined, and do not know of one friend or acquaintance killed in a traffic accident, yet here, for the same amount of time, I have lost count ????

I have lived here for nearly 14 years and do not know of any friends or acquaintancies  killed in any traffic accidents, but let it be said there is no one more critical of Thai drivers than me.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Stupid and silly responses aren't really helpful when someone has a legitimate health question here...

This is the EN website for the MoPH's coronavirus info:

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/index.php

I've called the 1422 hotline before, and it does get answered and EN speaking staff are available... (No I wasn't sick, I had a question re face mask distributions).

There was a graphic in another thread here today with a list of some of the hospitals that are capable of doing CV testing and the prices they're charging for the test alone.

2090195510_2020-02-2711_35_21.jpg.4fb845ca8ea24f3b40b76e2e303ded36.jpg

One of the common features that has characterized the CV illnesses is often, but not always, a substantial fever. So if someone has traveled to any risk locations or come into contact with possible risk populations here, and then comes down with a fever, it's certainly worth a doctor/hospital visit.

In my eyes, the point of someone potentially wanting to get a test -- if the situation warrants it -- is to determine whether the person's problem is something else or to know that if it's in fact CV, they need to be quarantined (and treated as needed) to avoid spreading the virus to others.

Thats it good idea, have a fever that you think might be the CV and go to a doctor or a hospital. Thats one of the reasons this thing spread because everyone panicked and went to hospital in their 100's. Basically nothing wrong with them before they went there but after contact with infected people they caught the virus. You couldnt make it up. Self isolate is the best thing anyone can do unless you get seriously ill.

I would suggest if anyone has flu-like symptoms. Call first !! then go to your local hospital and avoid contact with people along the way. Remember Corona or not, influenza/flu is highly contagious and as responsible adults its behooves us to consider and take precautions not to breathe, sneeze, cough on others while coming down with symptoms or in the full blown symptoms of flu.

Tell the attending staff THROUGH A MASK that you have flu-like symptoms all the while staying away from people. I'd suggest not to simply sit amongst others as is usual in Thai and other hospitals in ED / Casualty outpatient areas. 

If on the odd chance you have actually contracted Corona influenza then I would imagine you don't want to be thinking of how you didn't do you utmost to reduce risk of infecting others needlessly.

11 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

I would suggest if anyone has flu-like symptoms. Call first !! then go to your local hospital and avoid contact with people along the way. Remember Corona or not, influenza/flu is highly contagious and as responsible adults its behooves us to consider and take precautions not to breathe, sneeze, cough on others while coming down with symptoms or in the full blown symptoms of flu.

Tell the attending staff THROUGH A MASK that you have flu-like symptoms all the while staying away from people. I'd suggest not to simply sit amongst others as is usual in Thai and other hospitals in ED / Casualty outpatient areas. 

If on the odd chance you have actually contracted Corona influenza then I would imagine you don't want to be thinking of how you didn't do you utmost to reduce risk of infecting others needlessly.

If anyone has proper flu you basically can't go out and do stuff, too ill, I'm not talking about man flu sniffles

• Like 1

8 hours ago, delgarcon said:

I'm surprised that you have joined the "far more danger from a road accident club" Sheryl. In the first place by driving carefully and being aware of the dangers the risk is miniscule and secondly the deaths from the virus may well surpass those from road accidents at the rate that it is now progressing.

I have no intention of bothering anyone if I have a runny nose, I just want to be prepared in a worse case scenario, that's all!

Driving carefully is simply not sufficient when most of the other motorists do the exact opposite. On average 2 road fatalities per hour IN LOS, a lot of young people among them. How many have died from Covid 19 so far in Siam :zero. 

Nobody under the age of 10 has died yet from Corona anywhere. 

So, unless this thing gets much worse traffic would be my no 1 concern. 

3 hours ago, Brunolem said:

By far the most well equipped and experienced is the Wuhan hospital, but you can't get there directly... you'd have to fly to Beijing first and then hop on a train to Busan... sorry, to Wuhan... 

A bit convoluted but well worth the effort... 

I have been suffering from chronic early morning fits of coughing for a couple of months :on my way to Wuhan already. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Treatment is purely supportive and more than 80% of people with the virus need no treatment at all.

Sheryl, What makes this virus much more dangerous than the seasonal cold? What is making authorities so determined to stopping this virus? I understand there must be reasons but a lay person like myself can't find that sort of information. Can you elaborate or share a link that outlines the authority's concerns?

20 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

it is more dangerous than a common cold because it can progress to pneumonia though only in a minority of people.

It is NOT more dangerous than ordinary influenza, which also can progress to penumonia,  in terms of mortality, and it basically could be though of as just a new strain of flu. However being a new strain it is the potential to infect far more people since people lack prior exposure to it.

Isn't the flu a new stain every year? what makes this one special to warrant such response? 

and if we should not report non life threatening flu symptoms, how do they know the extent of the infection? 

Edited by sirineou
typo
  • Like 2