Where can I get tested for the Coronavirus and if necessary treatment?

delgarcon

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

it is more dangerous than a common cold because it can progress to pneumonia though only in a minority of people.

It is NOT more dangerous than ordinary influenza, which also can progress to penumonia,  in terms of mortality, and it basically could be though of as just a new strain of flu. However being a new strain it is the potential to infect far more people since people lack prior exposure to it.

And unlike the regular flu, there's no vaccine or established treatment for CV as yet...

And, if I'm not mistaken, CV supposedly has a higher rate of transmissibility than some of the others, in other words, is more contagious.

3 hours ago, thecyclist said:

Driving carefully is simply not sufficient when most of the other motorists do the exact opposite. On average 2 road fatalities per hour IN LOS, a lot of young people among them. How many have died from Covid 19 so far in Siam :zero. 

Nobody under the age of 10 has died yet from Corona anywhere. 

So, unless this thing gets much worse traffic would be my no 1 concern. 

You write pretty well cyclist for someone who's not yet 10! The truth is sonny that us older folk are concerned about the progress of the virus and really do not feel that road fatalities are relevant to us. Many of us feel that our illustrious leaders are pulling the wool over our eyes, which would be a dangerous game if so. I'm happy that you've been informed that no one has yet died of Covid19 in Thailand yet, I feel better already, thank you my boy, your mum must be proud of you!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sheryl said:

It is NOT more dangerous than ordinary influenza, which also can progress to penumonia,  in terms of mortality, and it basically could be though of as just a new strain of flu. However being a new strain it is the potential to infect far more people since people lack prior exposure to it.

Wrong!

In terms of mortality, the ratio is about 20 times that of the regular flu.

On top of that and once again the Chinese government would certainly not stop its economy, which it so much cares about, for just another strain of flu.

Ditto for South Korea and now Italy.

So there is most probably something nasty about this coronavirus that the populace is not told about...the more reason to stay alert...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

And, if I'm not mistaken, CV supposedly has a higher rate of transmissibility than some of the others, in other words, is more contagious.

It is much more contagious indeed and, as per the latest info, it could be because the coronavirus shares a group of genes with the HIV virus, which is not comforting at all, but also could explain why some people treated with medicine usually given to those infected by HIV have reacted positively...

5 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I was talking to my missus last night and she said and i quote '' Thailand make vaccine and give to China"  me ''utter BS who tell you that?" .. "government" me "if they had a vaccine the whole world would be jumping for joy. total BS!''  "but Thailand too hot for virus''  me "you think Thailand have better doctor than the rest of the world?"  "you no good, i not want stay you, i go live with family me ! " :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy: Oh and today it is 26.5 degrees and raining.:coffee1:

I spoke with some Thai's the other day they really believe Thailand has got a firm grip on this and it's to hot to survive, 

• Like 1

Interesting update on this topic today from the Thai DDC:

Ignore the headline, and look at the contents:

“Department officials will determine whether the person tested should be exempted from any cost for the medical examination," he said.

Dr Sopon Iamsirithaworn, Director of the Bureau of General Communicable Diseases, said free examination would be provided to person showing symptoms such as fever, cough, sore throat, sneezing or panting, and to those who have returned from high-risk countries, or working with foreign tourists. The offer extends to their family members at both government and private medical centres nationwide.

No idea what all of the above means for us farang...since we may not count in their definition above of "person".

As for locations:

Meanwhile, Dr Opart Karnkawinpong, Director-General of the Department of Medical Sciences said that in addition to Regional Medical Sciences Centres nationwide and Thai Red Cross Emerging Infectious Disease Health Science Centre at King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital, people can take Covid-19 examination at Faculty of Medicine of Chulalongkorn University and Prince of Songkla University, Siriraj Hospital, Ramathibodi Hospital, Rajavithi Hospital, Bamrasnaradura Infectious Disease Institute, and Bumrungrad International Hospital.

• Like 1

It's not ebola or HIV. It's a flu. An otherwise healthy person should be able to ride out a bout of C-19 with paracetamol, fluids and rest. Zero reason to worry if you currently are in decent shape.

Which means probably the best defense is to hit the gym and do more roadwork.

• Thanks 1

Getting a test for an illness that has no specific cure seems unnecessary to me, plus a waste of hospital resources.

If you have flu like symptoms, stay home to stop spreading it around.  UK advice is to self quarantine and phone for advice 

If you have difficulty breathing, then it's worth visiting a hospital. 

Half the problems in Wuhan were caused by people running to the hospital and over-loading the facilities, but I guess if you're a nation of only-children it's to be expected. 

On 2/27/2020 at 10:42 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

...There was a graphic in another thread here today with a list of some of the hospitals that are capable of doing CV testing and the prices they're charging for the test alone.

2090195510_2020-02-2711_35_21.jpg.4fb845ca8ea24f3b40b76e2e303ded36.jpg

What test method for SARS-CoV-2 is used by these hospitals, eg blood sample, swab of what part of the anatomy, etc?

2 hours ago, Maestro said:

What test method for SARS-CoV-2 is used by these hospitals, eg blood sample, swab of what part of the anatomy, etc?

Wish I knew, Maestro. The standard test for CV is the RT-PCR, but I don't believe the graphic I posted above was specific about that kind of detail.  Though there's also increasing sentiment that chest CT scans can be as good or better at diagnosis that the RT-PCR testing.

I may actually have to get tested. I've been sick for 3 weeks. Before that, I had the flu. But just recently, my dry coughs turned wet and I've been dealing with discomforts in both the neck, chest, and the mid section of my back. I'm trying to convince myself its just the combination of a bad cold and polluted air. If it progresses I may have to see a doctor. I'm in my 30s, and I've never been sick for this long (6 weeks). 

On 2/27/2020 at 1:32 PM, sirineou said:

Isn't the flu a new stain every year? what makes this one special to warrant such response? 

and if we should not report non life threatening flu symptoms, how do they know the extent of the infection? 

From what I understand, the concerns about this are 1) It appears to have jumped from animal to human and 2) Scientists do not have an understanding of the genome. Noone knows what effect it is going to have socially and econimally hence the need to try and control the outbreak