BANGKOK
webfact

Was a bullet planted in his luggage? American father trapped for months in Thailand

Was a bullet planted in his luggage?

American father trapped for months in Thailand

Author: Andrew Horansky

vid.jpg

UNIVERSITY HEIGHTS, Ohio — It sounds almost too bizarre to believe.

A father from Solon has been trapped for months in Thailand after a bullet was allegedly found in his bag at the airport. He said it was not his.

“It sounds crazy,” Tanya Jones said.

Her son, Mike Jones, had been spending the week of his 37th birthday in Thailand in December, only to have trouble at the airport in Bangkok when it was time to return.

“And they said ‘Oh you have a bullet. A single bullet in your duffel bag,’” Tanya Jones said.

Her son had been detained and called her from a holding room at the airport. She, in turn, called the embassy which put her in touch with an attorney, who told her that Jones could spend up to 30 years in jail unless he got an attorney.

It was not cheap.

“A lot,” Jones said. “Thousands and thousands and thousands. A lot. A whole lot.”

She estimates she has spent more than $20,000 so far. The family has set up a GoFundMe page to help.

Full story: https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/local/cuyahoga-county/father-from-solon-has-been-trapped-for-months-in-thailand/95-6f706233-5a00-456d-ab10-2502087a27cf

-- WKYC 2020-02-27

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 8

34 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

You are assuming that some sort of impartial forensic analysis was actually carried out...  

If you have a good lawyer you would make sure that is was. You would let them check CCTV too. Check the persons finances to see if he gets payments above his normal salary.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

If you have a good lawyer you would make sure that is was. You would let them check CCTV too. Check the persons finances to see if he gets payments above his normal salary.

And... I would be expecting my "good" lawyer to get all of my fees paid to defend and free myself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1