Was a bullet planted in his luggage? American father trapped for months in Thailand

webfact

Was a bullet planted in his luggage?

American father trapped for months in Thailand

Author: Andrew Horansky

vid.jpg

UNIVERSITY HEIGHTS, Ohio — It sounds almost too bizarre to believe.

A father from Solon has been trapped for months in Thailand after a bullet was allegedly found in his bag at the airport. He said it was not his.

“It sounds crazy,” Tanya Jones said.

Her son, Mike Jones, had been spending the week of his 37th birthday in Thailand in December, only to have trouble at the airport in Bangkok when it was time to return.

“And they said ‘Oh you have a bullet. A single bullet in your duffel bag,’” Tanya Jones said.

Her son had been detained and called her from a holding room at the airport. She, in turn, called the embassy which put her in touch with an attorney, who told her that Jones could spend up to 30 years in jail unless he got an attorney.

It was not cheap.

“A lot,” Jones said. “Thousands and thousands and thousands. A lot. A whole lot.”

She estimates she has spent more than $20,000 so far. The family has set up a GoFundMe page to help.

Full story: https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/local/cuyahoga-county/father-from-solon-has-been-trapped-for-months-in-thailand/95-6f706233-5a00-456d-ab10-2502087a27cf

-- WKYC 2020-02-27

• Confused 1
  • Sad 8
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

You are assuming that some sort of impartial forensic analysis was actually carried out...  

If you have a good lawyer you would make sure that is was. You would let them check CCTV too. Check the persons finances to see if he gets payments above his normal salary.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

If you have a good lawyer you would make sure that is was. You would let them check CCTV too. Check the persons finances to see if he gets payments above his normal salary.

And... I would be expecting my "good" lawyer to get all of my fees paid to defend and free myself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ParkerN said:

The presence or otherwise of fingerprints is not definitive. You can bet your life the guy who put the bullet in the bag (assuming it wasn't the American) cleaned his own prints off - and everything else in the process. But I bet the bullet is the same type that goes in police hand-guns.

Surely the courts know about this scam? And since taking this guy to court doesn't make anyone richer, when did they put the bite on him for some 'financial assistance'?

This is a real worry for passengers, and it doesn't help very much with my somewhat dismal (learned) view of Thais. This country and it's dismal people collectively really are the pits. Useless for anything that matters.

Seeing as Sig Sauer is the recommended pistol for police, thanks to the wonderful deal a previous Chief negotiated; and that others carry Glock, or Model 1911 with a few still carrying revolvers, that's like betting tomorrow will be Friday!

2 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Who's fingerprints were on the bullet? Should be pretty easy to find out. No thousands of dollars needed for this too.

No need as he's already been acquitted as the link clearly states.   There is also, apparently, no suggestion from anyone, apart from the story-teller who wrote the linked article, that the bullet was planted.

2 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Ahh, yes, this old scam.

Get done for you and your family's life savings, and then some.

Khup Khon khraaaaaap mistah. 

Travel warning is necessary (in addition to the virus) - how else can this country learn ethical behavior?

Note to myself: before  passing  immigrations make sure nothing can be planted in the luggage and pockets

Edited by sweatalot
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tounge Thaied said:

And then will have to be quarantined upon his return to the U.S. due to the coronavirus scare. Wow... this guy has had to go through too much. Imagine, any government can detain and hold you like this for something as stupid as a single bullet. You're then required to pay thousands to free yourself? ^*&* we are not free on this planet are we. 

He didn't have to pay anything to free himself, he went through with the court case and was acquitted.  Paying lawyers fees is normal here, or in any country.

• Like 1

You are betting a lot on things of which you are very sure. they are only assumptions though without a shred of evidence. 

You assume there are finger prints.  How are his assumptions any different than yours?  

It is a brain dead law anyway, as one bullet amounts to very little without a gun.  Like protective body armer.  The ability to inflict harm is low.  

Always check your luggage carefully and never let it out of your site, especially in Thailand.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, ParkerN said:

The presence or otherwise of fingerprints is not definitive. You can bet your life the guy who put the bullet in the bag (assuming it wasn't the American) cleaned his own prints off - and everything else in the process. But I bet the bullet is the same type that goes in police hand-guns.

Surely the courts know about this scam? And since taking this guy to court doesn't make anyone richer, when did they put the bite on him for some 'financial assistance'?

"But I bet the bullet is the same type that goes in police hand-guns".

There is no standard police gun in Thailand, officers can have what they want so that's that speculation debunked.

"...when did they put the bite on him for some 'financial assistance'?"

Apart from your own comment, where was that accusation made and by whom?  The family said that they had to pay for a lawyer and that is perfectly normal.

2 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Who's fingerprints were on the bullet? Should be pretty easy to find out. No thousands of dollars needed for this too.

You are assuming that some sort of impartial forensic analysis was actually carried out...  

You are assuming that he wasn't acquitted.

10 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

It is a brain dead law anyway, as one bullet amounts to very little without a gun.  Like protective body armer.  The ability to inflict harm is low.  

"The ability to inflict harm is low".  

The ability for a bullet to inflict harm is very low?  What?  Aren't they used in guns for killing?

Try carrying a concealed bullet into the US or the UK and you'll see how little it amounts to!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tounge Thaied said:

And then will have to be quarantined upon his return to the U.S. due to the coronavirus scare. Wow... this guy has had to go through too much. Imagine, any government can detain and hold you like this for something as stupid as a single bullet. You're then required to pay thousands to free yourself? ^*&* we are not free on this planet are we. 

As stupid as a single bullet? Why on earth would anyone have ANY bullets on him, much less one?

This isn't Merka, you know, it's Thailand.  Yes, it's almost frontier country in some places, but there's absolutely no need for anyone to be carrying ammunition around.  Ever.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tounge Thaied said:

My daddy once told me a very long time ago that nothing is free in this life. And please don’t forget, he’s a black man. They expect him to have bullets in his bags. 

• Sad 2