Jump to content
BANGKOK
webfact

Japanese woman confirmed as coronavirus case for second time, weeks after initial recovery

Recommended Posts

Japanese woman confirmed as coronavirus case for second time, weeks after initial recovery

By Daniel Leussink

 

2020-02-27T031821Z_2_LYNXNPEG1Q08V_RTROPTP_4_CHINA-HEALTH-JAPAN.JPG

Passersby wearing masks are seen at Sapporo station in Sapporo, Hokkaido, Japan, February 26, 2020. REUTERS/Issei Kato

 

TOKYO (Reuters) - A woman working as a tour-bus guide in Japan tested positive for the coronavirus for a second time, Osaka's prefectural government said on Wednesday, the first person in the country to do so amid growing concerns about the spread of the infection.

 

The second positive test comes as the number of confirmed cases in Japan rose to 186 by Thursday from around 170 the day before. Tokyo has urged big gatherings and sports events be scrapped or curtailed for two weeks to contain the virus while pledging the 2020 Olympic Games will still go ahead in the city.

 

The 186 cases reported by Japan's health ministry are separate from 704 reported from an outbreak on a cruise liner that was quarantined off Tokyo earlier this month. A total of seven people have died, including four from the ship.

 

The woman, a resident of Osaka in western Japan, tested positive on Wednesday after developing a sore throat and chest pains, the prefectural government said in a statement, describing her as being in her forties. She first tested positive in late January and was discharged from the hospital after recovering on Feb. 1, according to the statement.

 

The health ministry confirmed the case was the first in Japan where a patient tested positive for coronavirus for a second time after being discharged from hospital, the Nikkei newspaper said.

 

Though a first in Japan, cases of second positive tests have been reported in China, where the disease originated late last year. The outbreak has spread rapidly and widely, infecting about 80,000 people globally and killing nearly 2,800, the vast majority in mainland China.

 

"Once you have the infection, it could remain dormant and with minimal symptoms, and then you can get an exacerbation if it finds its way into the lungs," said Philip Tierno Jr., Professor of Microbiology and Pathology at NYU School of Medicine.

 

He said much remains unknown about the virus. "I'm not certain that this is not bi-phasic, like anthrax," he said, meaning the disease appears to go away before recurring.

 

Asked to comment on prospects for the Olympic Games going ahead in Tokyo this summer, Prof. Tierno said, "The Olympics should be postponed if this continues ... There are many people who don't understand how easy it is to spread this infection from one person to another."

 

Japan has changed its strategy in combating the contagion, seeking to slow its spread and minimise the number of deaths.

 

As part of the attempt to contain the outbreak, Tokyo Olympics officials are considering scaling down the torch relay, Tokyo 2020 CEO Toshiro Muto said on Wednesday.

 

The government is also considering scaling back this year's March 11 memorial ceremony for victims of 2011's massive earthquake and tsunami, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga told reporters on Thursday.

 

Meanwhile a major Japanese bank reported an employee had tested positive for coronavirus. MUFG Bank, part of Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group Inc <8306.T>, the country's largest lender by assets, said a member of staff at a branch in central Aichi prefecture, had been confirmed to have the virus on Wednesday.

 

(Reporting by Daniel Leussink, Chang-ran Kim and Rocky Swift; Editing by Kenneth Maxwell)

 

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-02-27

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, webfact said:

Asked to comment on prospects for the Olympic Games going ahead in Tokyo this summer, Prof. Tierno said, "The Olympics should be postponed if this continues ... There are many people who don't understand how easy it is to spread this infection from one person to another."

Hmm, chances of that happening?

 

Lot of money and prestige tied up in the Olympics. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

bio warfare...

Conspiracy theories are a giant panDUMBic.

 

They obviously lower IQ. 😂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a really worrying turn of events in the fight to eradicate Covid19.

Just how many people are out there that have been tested and cleared and then have gotten the Virus a second time.

Scary

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mfd101 said:

At the rate things are developing in Japan, but also all round the world, the chances of the Olympics being postponed or, more likely, cancelled are increasing by the day.

Hmm...let’s see. It would be the logical thing to do if conditions reach pandemic proportions, but logic can be in short supply on such occasions. 
 

Though Saudi has barred pilgrims, so maybe we are learning. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Hmm...let’s see. It would be the logical thing to do if conditions reach pandemic proportions, but logic can be in short supply on such occasions. 
 

Though Saudi has barred pilgrims, so maybe we are learning. 

The Gordian dilemma for politicians is either kill the economy or kill the people. 

(an unduly high number of folk compared to seasonal flu c 20 x more) 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, URMySunshine said:

The Gordian dilemma for politicians is either kill the economy or kill the people. 

(an unduly high number of folk compared to seasonal flu c 20 x more) 

Money or people? And which one do you think they'll choose? 555

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, webfact said:

"Once you have the infection, it could remain dormant and with minimal symptoms, and then you can get an exacerbation if it finds its way into the lungs," said Philip Tierno Jr., Professor of Microbiology and Pathology at NYU School of Medicine.

 

That's BAD news...as are all of the various cases of relapses that have been reported with this thing.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cake Monster said:

This is a really worrying turn of events in the fight to eradicate Covid19.

Just how many people are out there that have been tested and cleared and then have gotten the Virus a second time.

Scary

Well people often get colds and flu more than once in their lives. But being hit with this new thing twice really sucks, I must say. Maybe she thought she had immunity after the first infection and didn't take enough care...who knows?

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...