Flights booked to UK in June - should I cancel

I booked flights for me and the mrs to the UK in June (booked in January).  Due to apply for her visa next week (I was going to try for settlment visa but dont think we will get it, so just going for a holiday and will worry about settlement in a  year or two).  She has been to the UK with me 3 times over the years, never an issue with the visit visa so my plan was to take a gamble, assume she will get the visa, and start booking up airbnb's, hotels and car rentals this week.

Corona Virus is suddenly looking a real threat to this trip.  Back in january when I booked the flights I just figured it would all be fine by June but now it seems to be really taking off and getting a strong foothold in Europe.  There is even a genuine threat they may cancel the European Championships in Europe over the summer.  My assumption is that I will 'probably' be allowed to fly come June but there is a reasonable chance Thai people may not be allowed to fly to the UK come June.  The problem is that most of the airbnb's you cant cancel, or if you do cancel only recieve half the funds back.  Same with hotels really, once booked you are commited, unless you pay a much higher rate with the option to cancel later.

I have no idea what to do.  The flights are non refundable and cost me 60,000 Baht.  I could change the dates to a later point for 8000 baht but as we want to go in the summer that only really helps by a couple of months if we move to say, August.

I know its just a matter of opinion, there is no correct answer this question but just wondered what some of you fellas think?  Should I take a punt and get everything booked and paid for, with the possibility that I will be ratteling around the UK on my own come June, or move the dates to a later point hoping that gives us more time to bypass the threat of corona virus?

Thats what U get if you think you can play for travel-agent by yourself.

First: even if the flite might be non-ref the TAXes are not, though an airline may put some admin. fee on it to reimburse. They make out till near half on a tipical lowcost return to EUR.

If the worst come to the worse, then all airls till now have offered free rebooking or even money back when they were ordered to stop flites to a certain area.

Use Booking.com with a cancellable option if you are concerned the possibility of the trip not going ahead.

You could do your visa now if you are only planning the one holiday this year. 

Why do you think a Settlement application would fail ? 

just go, if cannot get a refund. I have to fly back in June as well so I know what you are feeling. I do not think they will ban your wife and just let you travel, if it is so bad then they will stop everyone. The other thing is, if it is so bad in June then I think the whole world is *****. There is 4 months to go so wait an see, nothing to loose as tickets are non refundable

You should not lose your flight money if you are unable to fly. Even the budget airlines are offering either refunds, though more are offering alternative dates, if you are booked on a flight to or from a country at risk. That isn't to say all airlines will follow the same procedure but it's likely they would.

As mentioned above, book cancellable hotels. You can find some Airbnbs that offer free cancellation if you look hard enough. I'm glad I found one of these for my trip to Sapporo later in the year, though I'm hoping it'll go ahead.

I'm also booked to the UK in July and at the moment don't have any concerns.

36 minutes ago, Andyfez said:

The flu season doesn't usually go on till June....

Who knows?

Live life normally. Don't let this social media hysteria get to you.

Stay with the facts we Know.

Yes, totally agree with that, once people adopt stand a metre away wash their hands more frequently, use hand gel after holding on to hand rails and busy door handles, stop touching their face and eye areas when they are out etc The spread should drop away hopefully.

I've bought face masks but only intend to use them whilst passing through Bangkok Airport, if in a very busy area, and they are more to address the perception of others (unless they are sneezing and coughing in close proximity in a queue...

OP I would just go ahead with your plans, and book refundable basis if not to disproportionate to the non-refundable version...

The virus will no longer be new in June...

I'm buying more shares today, those that have panic sold, will have caught a cold by summer ????.

I know it is scary but like you I had booked non refundable ticket to UK flying on March 26th. I have checked so far and keeping eye on it daily developments but all information I have is ii should be ok until of course one has high temperature or so. Self quironteed for 14 days in the worst circumstances. Just to be safe I purchased Travel Insurance yesterday

so to get refund obviously subject to their terms conditions. airlines will offer full refund if they cancel flights.

1 minute ago, John9 said:

I know it is scary but like you I had booked non refundable ticket to UK flying on March 26th. I have checked so far and keeping eye on it daily developments ......

We'll maybe see you at the airport then ????....

I have found out over the years that booking direct with an airline is the better option as their refunds and change fees are more reasonable.

Book with an Agent and you whilst the fare is cheaper but if you cancel generally there is no refund. Cost to change if you can is expensive as I know, from experience they add the airlines fee then their admin costs.

11 hours ago, asanee said:

First: even if the flite might be non-ref the TAXes are not, though an airline may put some admin. fee on it to reimburse. They make out till near half on a tipical lowcost return to EUR.

If the worst come to the worse, then all airls till now have offered free rebooking or even money back when they were ordered to stop flites to a certain area.

If you buy Travel Insurance now that covers flights and accommodation and make it effective from the date you leave your home until you arrive back to your home, you should be able to get re-imbursed for your expenses in event of cancellation.

If it gets that bad flights will be cancelled meaning you would get a refund so I wouldn’t cancel . My wife is in the U K at the moment she rang BA and they told her that if they cancel flights to Thailand she won’t lose out she can either have a refund or reschedule her flight for a later date at no cost to her

I have a UK trip booked for the end of May with British Airways.

It never crossed my mind to consider cancelling or altering.

I will go unless the airline cancels for me.

In 2003 I flew into a deserted Beijing Airport smack at the height of the SARS epidemic. Needless to say the flight was about 10% full.

11 hours ago, stupidfarang said:

just go, if cannot get a refund. I have to fly back in June as well so I know what you are feeling. I do not think they will ban your wife and just let you travel, if it is so bad then they will stop everyone. The other thing is, if it is so bad in June then I think the whole world is *****. There is 4 months to go so wait an see, nothing to loose as tickets are non refundable

"They" cannot stop everyone. A UK national cannot be denied entry into the UK. His Thai companion can be. If there are still flights allowed from Thailand and if there is a severe pandemic, the OP would go into self administered isolation for 14-21 days.

1 hour ago, Andyfez said:

The flu season doesn't usually go on till June....

Who knows?

Live life normally. Don't let this social media hysteria get to you.

Stay with the facts we Know.

Covid-19 is not influenza, nor does it share the transmission characteristics of the "flu" Yes, many people  make the comparison but this is a significantly different virus because it is far more contagious. It is a "sticky"  construct, and thrives in humid, moderate environments. Unlike the flu, it is not an equal opportunity killer. Instead, the people most likely to die are males over the age of 50. Young females are going to escape much of the carnage.

1 hour ago, advancebooking said:

stop being neurotic. book the holiday and go

It is not neurotic to exercise caution. The OP is taking responsibility for himself and is to be commended for that.

11 hours ago, asanee said:

Rubbish.  You haven't the slightest notion of travel. The advantage of a direct purchase from an airline is that if something goes wrong it is the airline's legal responsibility to handle  a disruption. If booked through a travel agent, the airline will tell the customer to  go deal with the agent. Not helpful when traveling overseas. I book all my leisure accommodation myself. The travel portal inventories are the same for me as  they are for a travel agent. If the OP is using Arr bnb then he a travel agent brings no advantage.

The airline ticket would have been non refundable if purchased through the travel agent too. If the flight is cancelled due to a government order, then the  OP will get a credit or a change or a refund. If the OP has to  change his ticket because of the disease, I expect that the OP will be able to. The airlines are doing it now for travel to South Korea, italy and China.  I fly in premium classes and stay at major hotel brands  with more to lose than the Op, and yet I book my travel just like him with non refundable   business class and hotel rooms. My only concession to the   pandemic is that I now opt for refundable hotel rooms. OP  did not make a mistake. 

The Daily Telegraph reports today that anyone arriving from Thailand have to call the NHS number and report. France is asking people to self-quarantine for 14 days if arriving from Thailand. This really only means avoiding busy places and public transport. You can still go about your daily business and go to the shops etc. This all being said it is still only February and a way to go yet until June.

14 hours ago, asanee said:

Thanks for the reply, but Im not really sure I see your point with 'thats what you get for playing travel agent by yourself'?  Surely you dont mean it was a foolish move to book the trip myself, instead of using a travel agent?

Do people actualy still use travel agents in 2020 lol?  We went to the UK in August, I booked 19 hotels and airbnb's for the holiday (all over the UK) and everything went perfectly.  Same with our Christmas holiday - 12 airbnbs and hotels from scotland down to Cornwall, no issues at all.  You have the freedom of mapping eveything out yourself while sat behind a laptop with a beer over a 2 or 3 day period.  

Would anyone seriously take the antiquated travel agent option for a trip like that?  Maybe I am taking your post to litteraly, but who knew there would be a global pandemic at the time of booking this!

14 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Use Booking.com with a cancellable option if you are concerned the possibility of the trip not going ahead.

You could do your visa now if you are only planning the one holiday this year. 

Why do you think a Settlement application would fail ? 

Yes I might have to do that for the hotels that we are staying at.  It bumps the price up by around 30% to book a refundable room but I guess its the safest bet.  The airbnb's rarely offer a refund for cancelation (or sometimes offer half back) but I could email each place and ask them for a refund option in the event Thais are not permited entry, I guess.

14 hours ago, stupidfarang said:

I think you are right, I am begining to think sod it, just crack on and get it booked.  It is a while off yet and as you said, if by then it has got so bad that we are not allowed to fly to UK we have much more to worry about than a holiday because we are probably all doomed!  My gut tells me we should be fine by then.

4 hours ago, UKresonant said:

Yes, totally agree with that, once people adopt stand a metre away wash their hands more frequently, use hand gel after holding on to hand rails and busy door handles, stop touching their face and eye areas when they are out etc The spread should drop away hopefully.

I've bought face masks but only intend to use them whilst passing through Bangkok Airport, if in a very busy area, and they are more to address the perception of others (unless they are sneezing and coughing in close proximity in a queue...

OP I would just go ahead with your plans, and book refundable basis if not to disproportionate to the non-refundable version...

The virus will no longer be new in June...

I'm buying more shares today, those that have panic sold, will have caught a cold by summer ????.

Im doing the same with Bitcoin ????

3 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I have found out over the years that booking direct with an airline is the better option as their refunds and change fees are more reasonable.

Book with an Agent and you whilst the fare is cheaper but if you cancel generally there is no refund. Cost to change if you can is expensive as I know, from experience they add the airlines fee then their admin costs.

I mentioned this to someone else who replied - does anyone actually use agents these days?  Im really suprised at that, I thought most people booked direct?  I havent used an agent since I first moved to Thailand in 2003!

3 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

"They" cannot stop everyone. A UK national cannot be denied entry into the UK. His Thai companion can be. If there are still flights allowed from Thailand and if there is a severe pandemic, the OP would go into self administered isolation for 14-21 days.

Covid-19 is not influenza, nor does it share the transmission characteristics of the "flu" Yes, many people  make the comparison but this is a significantly different virus because it is far more contagious. It is a "sticky"  construct, and thrives in humid, moderate environments. Unlike the flu, it is not an equal opportunity killer. Instead, the people most likely to die are males over the age of 50. Young females are going to escape much of the carnage.

It is not neurotic to exercise caution. The OP is taking responsibility for himself and is to be commended for that.

Rubbish.  You haven't the slightest notion of travel. The advantage of a direct purchase from an airline is that if something goes wrong it is the airline's legal responsibility to handle  a disruption. If booked through a travel agent, the airline will tell the customer to  go deal with the agent. Not helpful when traveling overseas. I book all my leisure accommodation myself. The travel portal inventories are the same for me as  they are for a travel agent. If the OP is using Arr bnb then he a travel agent brings no advantage.

The airline ticket would have been non refundable if purchased through the travel agent too. If the flight is cancelled due to a government order, then the  OP will get a credit or a change or a refund. If the OP has to  change his ticket because of the disease, I expect that the OP will be able to. The airlines are doing it now for travel to South Korea, italy and China.  I fly in premium classes and stay at major hotel brands  with more to lose than the Op, and yet I book my travel just like him with non refundable   business class and hotel rooms. My only concession to the   pandemic is that I now opt for refundable hotel rooms. OP  did not make a mistake. 

Good post, thanks

2 hours ago, brianbbb said:

all airfares go up august uk school holiday

Yah, I made that mistake last year.  I booked a holiday in August last year (booked in June) without thinking of the school holidays, stupidly.  The prices for everything were completley through the roof.

Booked my flights after Christmas to travel to the UK on March 12th via Dubai ( return 18 days later ).

Plan to stay with my daughter and her husband and 15 months old baby with regular visits to my 90 yr old father in his care home.

2 weeks ago my daughter contacted me starting to worry about the virus announcements in the uk press, her worrying intensified ( urged on by her mother and her panicking family I’m sure ☹️) until I told her I would cancel.

Haven’t cancelled yet ( tickets non refundable ), playing the waiting game to see if the airline ( Emirates ) might cancel them for me ????.

€50 to change the date + any additional price increase, I would change the date but to when is the burning question ??

I might still go unless mandatory quarantine, either here or there , arises in which case I will push the flights back a good few months.

Was checking out Airbnb today as another option and my chosen place has a cancellation policy of non-refundable full amount or by paying an extra £35 ( 17 nights) is fully refundable minus the service fee.

Was also planning to visit a Thai consulate to get a non imm O visa and free myself of the clutches of my OA ???? but that can wait up until Sept.

Nothing really urgent to make my trip to the uk urgent but am still monitoring the situation to see what happens. 

Most likely outcome at the moment I think is to check out the flight pricing around early September, move my flights to then , sit back and see what occurs.

Archived