Flying back to USA during pandemic experiences?

NorthernRyland

Has anyone recently tried to fly back to the United states from Thailand and could share experiences with quarantine etc...? I'm getting worried that since Thailand is still actively encouraging Chinese tourists all entries from Thailand are going to get quarantined making it impossible to plan domestic connections.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, genericptr said:

Has anyone recently tried to fly back to the United states from Thailand and could share experiences with quarantine etc...?

the next question is how will employers, coworkers and others react to anyone coming back from vacation in Thailand?

the media is really starting to ramp up that this is the start of a pandemic. 

and no business wants to be locked down because you may have been exposed.

50 baht masks are selling on ebay now at huge markups. 

Wife and I are flying back to the States, Atlanta, Tuesday (BKK>SIN>LAX>ATL).  Aside from possibly the flight being cancelled (Singapore Airlines) I have NO concern on flying back. I do my due diligence checking our flights every day and checking LAX immigration/customs on any screening.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Last I read from Reddit is that if you are American you will be waived through and worst case scenario asked to self quarantine 14 days. Only those who were evacuated are being kept in quarantine on military base. 

Edited by Tayaout
  • Thanks 1

We were scheduled to return to the US on April 8 and rebooked our flight and returned on February 21. Not particularly concerned about catching the virus but were beginning to worry about the changing logistics of international travel. Now safely back in the US and are glad we made the change. If we have not, I would have spent much of the next 1.5 months worrying.

• Like 1

We flew to USA on the 18th, ANA BKK-Houston.  No problems on arrival, but I was getting concerned as our departure date neared.  Two friends had their flights on Cathay cancelled.  Now that we're in the US, I can only wonder what might happen before we're for to return to Thailand in May.  The picture seems to change by the minute.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I usually go back to US in April to avoid Songkran, but not this year. Too many variables, to many ways to get stuck hither and yon.

Somehow idea of spending 15 hrs or so in an aluminum tube sharing air with who knows who doesn't sound like worth the chance.

And I would hate to get back to USA and develop the illness & pass that on to friends and family, not to mention strangers. I'll stick it out and hunker down here. Have to put good pizza and Mexican food on the to do later list.

• Like 2

Thanks for asking the question, I too am looking for flights home (Seattle area). We usually go every summer for a couple of months, but due to a couple of pre-existing health issues, our family doctor stateside has suggested we return as soon as possible.

I have been watching with concern as different airlines restrict or discontinue flights, and am also becoming more and more concerned about the flight itself and the dangers of catching the virus during travel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kenk24 said:
1 hour ago, Fore Man said:

nothing asking passengers if they had originated from China either.

is that a good thing

Haven't you heard?

Dear Leader says he has done a great job containing the virus.

And Mike Pence will pray that gay virus away.

Why so serious? ????????????????????????

Edited by SiSePuede419
  • Haha 1

I have a very expensive, bucket-list Amazon cruise in April. I have a few weeks in the US on the way. I had some concern about flights to the US being cancelled, but was planning to wait it out and hope for the best. 

I saw my doctor yesterday and he sternly advised me to leave Chiang Mai ASAP. 

Why? The Chinese flu? No. Because of the smoke. After eight years in CM, I have developed asthma. (Uh oh, male, over 55, asthma, live in polluted city...maybe the virus was a factor. I’m in a high-risk group)

I’m leaving next week. See y’all in May. If.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

the next question is how will employers, coworkers and others react to anyone coming back from vacation in Thailand?

the media is really starting to ramp up that this is the start of a pandemic. 

and no business wants to be locked down because you may have been exposed.

50 baht masks are selling on ebay now at huge markups. 

Do you really think the number of infected persons (~40) from the Coronavirus in Thailand is high with a population of 69 million + tourists and expats? 

• Like 1

I too have concerns, planning to go to USA soon.  The problem is just about every country that we have to fly through in Asia has a large number of confirmed cases.  I'm talking S. Korea, Japan, HK, Singapore....Taiwan is not bad for now.  So even if Thailand is ok (still questionable), these transiting hubs can be a problem.  I just read that a Korean Air flight attendant who serviced a flight from ICN-LAX had COVID-19 the whole time.  On the return flight as well. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-koreanair-attendant-reportedly-served-tel-aviv-los-angeles-2020-2

I heard they're freakin out at LAX.  I'm guessing the US may ban flights from S. Korea soon.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Haven't you heard?

Dear Leader says he has done a great job containing the virus.

And Mike Pence will pray that gay virus away.

Why so serious? ????????????????????????

A virus surely has to be the work of Satan. Praying should make it go away. Pence, as usual, is on the right path. A man of such righteousness, evil simply cannot exist within his realm. 

29 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Do you really think the number of infected persons (~40) from the Coronavirus in Thailand is high with a population of 69 million + tourists and expats? 

So far, Thailand is barely on the radar, unless there has been a massive coverup, which I tend to doubt would be possible here, with the affinity for social media. Thus far, Thailand has dodged the bullet, though they have been absolutely devastated on the tourism front. However, the officials can always use a good dose of humility. Humiliation is good for them. 

we are in the very early stages in the USA. Look for more screening and perhaps closures to people visiting certain countries.

Coronavirus May Explode in U.S. Overnight Just Like in Italy

https://www.thedailybeast.com/coronavirus-could-explode-in-the-us-overnight-like-it-did-in-italy

How Daily Life Could Change If Coronavirus Spreads Within The US

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2020/02/27/coronavirus-us-spread-daily-life-effects/

California is monitoring at least 8,400 people for the coronavirus

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/27/california-is-monitoring-8400-people-for-the-coronavirus.html

On 2/27/2020 at 2:15 PM, sirineou said:

We were planning to Travel to Thailand  from the US this spring as we do every year, but have suspended our plans and are keeping an eye on the situation. The main reason is that we are afraid that if things get bad we can get trapped in Thailand, or that even if we are allowed to return we will be quarantines for 14 days at some military base. 

Things are not bad yet and travel is fine, If you are not concerned with being in an airplane with god knows who. But things with the virus  are projected to become worst soon.

So what is the reason you want to come to the US?

if it is for a short visit and then want to return to Thailand I will not do it. Some airlines are already suspending flights to Thailand. If things get bad travel to thailand might become restricted and you might not be able to return.

If you need to come to the US and dont care when you come back to Thailand , I would do it now before possible restrictions are enacted.   

Which airlines are suspending flights to Thailand?

Because of the virus risk or simply based on lower passenger numbers?

14 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Because of the virus?

Yes. Google it

"Kuwait Airlines is canceling flights to Italy, Thailand, Iran, and Iraq following a government ban on flights to Kuwait from those countries, the New York Times reported. "

https://www.businessinsider.com/airlines-canceling-flights-outside-of-china-amid-coronavirus-fears-2020-2#thai-airways-17

"El Al Israel Airlines said it would suspend flights to Italy, including Milan and Rome from Feb. 28 to March 14, and to Bangkok from March 2-27. It will also delay launching a new route to Tokyo from March until April 4. "

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-airlines-factbox/factbox-airlines-suspend-flights-due-to-coronavirus-outbreak-idUSKCN20K0GZ

Edited by sirineou

24 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Yes. Google it

"Kuwait Airlines is canceling flights to Italy, Thailand, Iran, and Iraq following a government ban on flights to Kuwait from those countries, the New York Times reported. "

https://www.businessinsider.com/airlines-canceling-flights-outside-of-china-amid-coronavirus-fears-2020-2#thai-airways-17

"El Al Israel Airlines said it would suspend flights to Italy, including Milan and Rome from Feb. 28 to March 14, and to Bangkok from March 2-27. It will also delay launching a new route to Tokyo from March until April 4. "

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-airlines-factbox/factbox-airlines-suspend-flights-due-to-coronavirus-outbreak-idUSKCN20K0GZ

Thanks. It's not just Thailand then. Not much chance of me ever wanting to fly in either if those airlines. Any ' mainstream' airlines reporting cancellations. Can't say I've seen any.

Edited by emptypockets