BANGKOK
genericptr

Flying back to USA during pandemic experiences?

Has anyone recently tried to fly back to the United states from Thailand and could share experiences with quarantine etc...? I'm getting worried that since Thailand is still actively encouraging Chinese tourists all entries from Thailand are going to get quarantined making it impossible to plan domestic connections.

• Thanks 1

My mother-in-law arrived at JFK last week with no incident. 

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, genericptr said:

Has anyone recently tried to fly back to the United states from Thailand and could share experiences with quarantine etc...?

the next question is how will employers, coworkers and others react to anyone coming back from vacation in Thailand?

the media is really starting to ramp up that this is the start of a pandemic. 

and no business wants to be locked down because you may have been exposed.

50 baht masks are selling on ebay now at huge markups. 

Wife and I are flying back to the States, Atlanta, Tuesday (BKK>SIN>LAX>ATL).  Aside from possibly the flight being cancelled (Singapore Airlines) I have NO concern on flying back. I do my due diligence checking our flights every day and checking LAX immigration/customs on any screening.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Last I read from Reddit is that if you are American you will be waived through and worst case scenario asked to self quarantine 14 days. Only those who were evacuated are being kept in quarantine on military base. 

Edited by Tayaout
  • Thanks 1

We were scheduled to return to the US on April 8 and rebooked our flight and returned on February 21. Not particularly concerned about catching the virus but were beginning to worry about the changing logistics of international travel. Now safely back in the US and are glad we made the change. If we have not, I would have spent much of the next 1.5 months worrying.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Fore Man said:

nothing asking passengers if they had originated from China either.

is that a good thing? 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

We flew to USA on the 18th, ANA BKK-Houston.  No problems on arrival, but I was getting concerned as our departure date neared.  Two friends had their flights on Cathay cancelled.  Now that we're in the US, I can only wonder what might happen before we're for to return to Thailand in May.  The picture seems to change by the minute.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I usually go back to US in April to avoid Songkran, but not this year. Too many variables, to many ways to get stuck hither and yon.

Somehow idea of spending 15 hrs or so in an aluminum tube sharing air with who knows who doesn't sound like worth the chance.

And I would hate to get back to USA and develop the illness & pass that on to friends and family, not to mention strangers. I'll stick it out and hunker down here. Have to put good pizza and Mexican food on the to do later list.

• Like 2