Flying back to USA during pandemic experiences?

NorthernRyland

Just now, emptypockets said:
24 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Yes. Google it

"Kuwait Airlines is canceling flights to Italy, Thailand, Iran, and Iraq following a government ban on flights to Kuwait from those countries, the New York Times reported. "

https://www.businessinsider.com/airlines-canceling-flights-outside-of-china-amid-coronavirus-fears-2020-2#thai-airways-17

"El Al Israel Airlines said it would suspend flights to Italy, including Milan and Rome from Feb. 28 to March 14, and to Bangkok from March 2-27. It will also delay launching a new route to Tokyo from March until April 4. "

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-airlines-factbox/factbox-airlines-suspend-flights-due-to-coronavirus-outbreak-idUSKCN20K0GZ

Thanks. It's not just Thailand then.

All I say concerning international flights is that the situation is fluid. and it changes from day to day. 

My Sister lives in Italy 15 min north of Venice,The place is shut down

My Brother Is retired in Greece, I just read that they had three cases there.  I think All High tourist areas are going to be hit hard this summer , unless what some say about the Heat affecting the transmission of the virus is true. Also news of the Virus vaccine development near. 

" Israeli scientists say weeks away from coronavirus vaccine"

https://www.i24news.tv/en/news/israel/1582826488-israeli-scientists-say-weeks-away-from-coronavirus-vaccine

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

• Thanks 1

Of course it's not only Thailand but the connection country. For me it's Korea but I don't see how Taiwan or Japan would be better. Of course you can fly via Europe but it seems it's spreading there too. 

My assumption is that fewer and fewer countries won't be on the risk list going forward. 

What that will mean for air travel hard to know except for fewer flights. 

On 2/27/2020 at 2:54 PM, genericptr said:

I came here in January and I was planning to stay until July (and hopefully not have to come back if I can find a job) but I have the same concerns as you, that is getting trapped. I think you're right though that it's going to get worse in the coming months and if I leave I should do it now.

Depending on your field and experience you may have a better chance at the virus then than the job.

• Haha 1

I flew from Bangkok to Chicago going through Seoul on the 27th of February.  I was asked if I was recently in China. It happened at check in, transit in Seoul and by US immigration in Chicago.  The flight attendants all wore masks and gloves through the entire flight.  The plane from Bangkok to Seoul was pretty empty but from Seoul to Chicago the plane was packed.  I flew Korean Air

I was planning on returning to Thailand March 8 on Cathay Pacific but my flight has been changed 3 times due to cancellations so now I return March 10.

Edited by statman78
Added Korean Air

11 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

A virus surely has to be the work of Satan. Praying should make it go away. Pence, as usual, is on the right path. A man of such righteousness, evil simply cannot exist within his realm. 

I'm waiting for him to tell the world, "Don't worry, Christians are immune!  But sinners (and Democrats) will pay the price for their sins!"  :ph34r:

Trump couldn't have picked a better guy for the job to represent the U.S. on this.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, statman78 said:

I was planning on returning to Thailand March 8 on Cathay Pacific but my flight has been changed 3 times due to cancellations so now I return March 10.

They are cancelling entire flights due to under capacity? At first I thought flights would be full with people trying to escape back to Europe/USA but maybe they empty as people are avoiding flying entirely?

My original flight got cancelled  EVA Air  Bkk- TPE--LAX

I went over to corporate office in CM- EVA and the girl came down to help me.

The booking site also contacted me and tried to pressure me onto another flight

messing up my Cm-BKK flight/ Vietjet, and my connecting flights in LAX onwards.

Eva office in CM was helpful, I just had to adjust my vietjet fight-rebook date for under 600bt

Since I arrive at LAX early for my next day connect, EVA put me up at a hotel in LAX for

overnight layover--so that helps--I tried to ask for 1st class upgrade--denied..oh well   555

But with 6 airports and 36 hrs travel time + this virus has sure screwed things up....blah

lastly the Eva gal said a few flights cancelled but on track with a few designated airports

to arrive in the USA..LAX being OK....IATA travel center --can google it for updates

so as of today Taiwan to US is OK minus some cancelled flights...

I guess due to lack of people and condensing ppl +flights..

And of course the first time since 2008 that I ever booked a RT tix to LOS..was always one way!

• Thanks 1

My problem is getting on a plane with a whole bunch of other travelers who have not been screened. At least I have not heard of any screening going on for departures. And is there any real info out there as far as how to stay as safe as possible while flying?

The flight attendants come into contact with so many travelers, from so many countries too.

I guess one has to weigh the odds. What are the chances of contracting the virus while traveling, or in your home country verses the odds of contracting it if you stay in Thailand?

Tough decisions!

I returned to the US (Seattle) on the 28th through Taipei .  No issues, no questions.  My wife was due to fly back on the 12th of March, but she changed her ticket to March 7th because she doesn't trust the current US government and doesn't want to get stuck in Taipei or some government facility for 2 weeks.  

• Like 1

On 3/3/2020 at 10:09 PM, Kentwants2run said:

I returned to the US (Seattle) on the 28th through Taipei .  No issues, no questions.  My wife was due to fly back on the 12th of March, but she changed her ticket to March 7th because she doesn't trust the current US government and doesn't want to get stuck in Taipei or some government facility for 2 weeks.  

Things are in a constant state of change, our family doctor back home told me yesterday that when we arrive at Seattle on the 10th of March we will be pulled aside to a special area and screened, if we show any symptoms or don't pass the initial screening they have equipment on site to perform additional test procedures.

On Friday the 6th we were given a letter from the school director which basically said all teachers traveling back to Thailand passing through China, South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macao, Japan, Malaysia, Vietnam, Myanmar, Singapore and Italy and any new affected countries or territories announced by the MoH will be placed into a mandatory 14 day quarantine after which you need a certified clearance from a doctor that you are not ill or affected.

Line 7 states; "Hiding your travel history or withholding information about your trip is considered a legal offence."

My advice would be to hunker down where you are or travel at your own risk but DON'T expect Thailand to welcome you back if you're not Thai.

ETA: MODS, I can PM 1 of you the letter and you can redact what is needed (school name, etc.) and post it if you wish. I doubt the government is issuing these to all and sunder.

Edited by mrwebb8825