University, high school students rise up for democracy

webfact

2 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

There was a general election. Prayuth won it. Why does the liberal left always try to ignore democracy when their preferred party loses?

At least in Thailand, the parties are different, unlike in the west where most of them are identical liberal left globalist clones. Is that what you call 'democracy'?

I'm not liberal left. 

Prayut won the election? You do know there are documents that state the army was paying IOs to spread positive information about themselves and Prayut and Prawit, etc. online. The army is paid for by the tax payers. Tax payers were unknowingly (and certainly unwillingly) paying for Prayut's side to be promoted before the elections. Remind me again - which other parties were allowed to use tax payers' money to promote themselves?  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

Everyone, including the blind and the deaf, knows how;
I don't call it a real vote when 250 people are appointed before this one

That FF guy is an oligarch. Money talks at the voting booths....

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, webfact said:

Administrators of Satriwithaya School in Bangkok’s Phra Nakhon district barred students from holding further political gatherings on the grounds, so the youngster instead took their signs decrying “dictatorship” to the Democracy Monument.

One of the group’s leaders said they represent the new generation, which supports democracy, and do not want their political views suppressed.

Times are a changing!

Go students go!

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, faraday said:

Why then are many people dissatisfied?

What in heavens name are you chuntering on about with the 'liberal left'? There are huge difference in Conservative or Labour manifestos.

Are you one of these alleged 'paid supporters'?

Tell me the differences in policy between the Conservatives and Labour? Both metropolitan liberal left. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The youth is the only hope this nation has. The older folks here are totally apathetic about politics, despite how much the army has harmed them, and their quality of life. Perhaps with the decimation of the tourism industry, that the hapless army has presided over, and now the corona precipitated drop, some changes might take place. They are long overdue. The army really overstayed their time, by stealing the last election, and the move they pulled in the Senate was heinous. They must go. They must be shown the door. They are absolutely despised by the masses, and especially the youth. 

Remember Prayuth and his mates were young once and the future of Thailand and look how that went.Don’t you think other young people are not being groomed to achieve a militarily bright future for those that will inherit the vast wealth and do anything to protect it?Don’t underestimate the power of rinse and repeat.

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

Things have changed alot. I am quite impressed with a portion of the Thai youth. They are passionate, many are activists, and the future does indeed lie with them. I am hopeful. Nothing in common with heinous and harmful individuals like Prayuth, Prawit, and the top 100 generals. Nothing. 

I watch the Rap against dictatorship vid I recommend watching it all the way through then try to understand the significance of body hanging from the tree and beating of the body with the chair.This is where this current uprising may well be heading for.They may achieve their goal but some are likely to pay with their lives starting with the passionate youth in the rap song posted earlier in this thread.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The older folks here are totally apathetic about politics, despite how much the army has harmed them, and their quality of life.

Thats simply not true, the old folk where I am are anything but "apathetic", if they had been as outspoken 50 years ago as they are now, they simply wouldn't be here! Indoctrination and iron fasted administration has kept these "people" in power, it helps if you keep the majority in abject poverty as well.

It's easy to sit back and comment how they should rise up and take power back, you don't have to look far back in history to see what has happened. :shock1:

1 hour ago, CGW said:

Thats simply not true, the old folk where I am are anything but "apathetic", if they had been as outspoken 50 years ago as they are now, they simply wouldn't be here! Indoctrination and iron fasted administration has kept these "people" in power, it helps if you keep the majority in abject poverty as well.

It's easy to sit back and comment how they should rise up and take power back, you don't have to look far back in history to see what has happened. :shock1:

No doubt there will be consequences. The army will not want to give up there power, and massive fortunes that are being made. But, change is a coming. It is inevitable. This hapless army has not worn their power lightly. Their incompetence, hubris, arrogance, racism, and ignorance, knows no bounds. They must go. And they will be forced out. Just wait and see. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Remember Prayuth and his mates were young once and the future of Thailand and look how that went.Don’t you think other young people are not being groomed to achieve a militarily bright future for those that will inherit the vast wealth and do anything to protect it?Don’t underestimate the power of rinse and repeat.

Of course Prayuth and his mates were young once. However in their youth they were in the military and many have known no other job.

Look around when jobs are on offer and see who was in which class in the military or the police and who gets promoted and gets a plum job. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

They also believe in their cause. Soldiers given orders often don't. 

I agree with that, in the past their have been instances where there has been "insubordination" in fact at one time the Police and sections of the military were at loggerheads, that friction appears to have disappeared, deals have been done I guess, people replaced with those with more 'consistent" views!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

There is no question that there would be blood. But, if millions of Thais rise up, there will be little the hapless army can do. It is about somehow engaging the apathetic masses. This massive drop in tourism could be the key. Thais do respond to money, and a dramatic drop in their livelihoods, could wreak a massive toll on the army. They certainly deserve that, and the Thai people deserve better than what they currently have, in terms of leadership, which is next to nothing. 

Thaksin was quite successful at engaging the "apathetic" masses by redistributing the money going into the pockets of the ruling elite but that was eventually snuffed out.It's a big ask to make any meaningful change in this country look what happened to the latest effort by Thanathorn,split asunder and now a splintered group of mostly greedy individual scrabbling to get a piece of the trough.There will be no blood and there will be no uprising because those leading any uprising will be gaoled or disappeared along with any uprising.They dealing with relentless ruthlessness that will stop at absolutely nothing to protect their sanctified ways.

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

My ex student sent me this photo, taken by her near Thammasat university. The other photo is on the net and it seems there'll be more and more. Great. 

My student in Bangkok.jpg

Wasita and photo.jpg

Poor things. They'll be tolerated for a while, then spaded under like so many before them. I do hope that they go home before they get shot.

Keeping things as they are is a much better option than pretending that Thailand can be like the west. It needs a strong and authoritarian government to remain peaceful, as we've seen in recent years.

I'm glad that the Thai government understands this, and ignores preaching from the meddling west - who pretend that they are democracies while giving their electorate nothing to choose from.

Edited by dbrenn
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1