University, high school students rise up for democracy

webfact

40 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

No..not a troll but an "agent" and I agree that he should not be fed...

Oh come now, for 100b/d a little bit of extra feeding is humane: https://www.thaienquirer.com/8530/opinion-io-and-the-cynical-mind-game-against-your-own-people/

The trolls are paid – allegedly as little as 100 baht a day, which is a separate labour crime in itself – and are also eligible for a monthly outstanding performance award of 3,000 baht, according to the dossier. 

We should get our own home trolls a bonus, maybe they turn into garden gnomes.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Oh come now, for 100b/d a little bit of extra feeding is humane: https://www.thaienquirer.com/8530/opinion-io-and-the-cynical-mind-game-against-your-own-people/

We should get our own home trolls a bonus, maybe they turn into garden gnomes.

An interesting article and it is why I prefer to name such folks as "agents" rather than trolls.

"Agents" have a quite clear MO (as if they are reading from a script) and do not usually deviate from that script.

You will not ever find "agents" for example,posting their photographs on the photography section of TV  as that is not their job-and they may never have been here in the first place.

Expect many more being shipped across from the host media group in the future..

ps-for some reason best known to them most "agents" will state that they are from either the UK or Australia rather than their primary source...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/27/2020 at 3:22 PM, Just1Voice said:

I've been saying for years that it will take the students, who are a thousand times more aware than their parents, to finally wake up and say "Enough is Enough!" before things finally change.  Maybe that day is coming. 

I hear you, old people don't change the future.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Remember Prayuth and his mates were young once and the future of Thailand and look how that went.Don’t you think other young people are not being groomed to achieve a militarily bright future for those that will inherit the vast wealth and do anything to protect it?Don’t underestimate the power of rinse and repeat.

1% VS 99, I know were I'm putting my hope.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, faraday said:

It's your complete agreement with everything the Thai gubmint does, that makes people doubt you.

Not at all. There's no such thing as a perfect government, and Thailand is no exception. I don't like the level of jingoism, for example, and nor do I like the needless crackdowns on people who are doing no harm whatsoever like retirees and people trying to bring up families. 

Any government is a compromise, but we still should all respect the fact that there was a general election and Prayuth's party won it. Students screaming about democracy want anything but.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, dbrenn said:

Not at all. There's no such thing as a perfect government, and Thailand is no exception. I don't like the level of jingoism, for example, and nor do I like the needless crackdowns on people who are doing no harm whatsoever like retirees and people trying to bring up families. 

Any government is a compromise, but we still should all respect the fact that there was a general election and Prayuth's party won it. Students screaming about democracy want anything but.

Paragraph 1. :thumbsup:

Paragraph 2. ????

• Like 1

“Right now, it’s obvious that the legal system, the rule of law, and things like that, they have all failed,” said one student as reported on Prachatai.

“Students at anti-government rallies risk becoming a tool of politicians,” says Prayuth.

Let's keep this topic a priority.

protest.jpg

• Thanks 2

On 2/28/2020 at 4:03 PM, DrTuner said:

There's actually a chance to get rid of the worst representatives every few years. Unlike self-appointed senate, f.ex. Direct democracy would be possible already, but it requires career suicide by current politicians. It's never been truly tried in it's purest form: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_democracy

What's so good about a system where mistakes are often made in choosing a representative or leader? A good system should ensure very few incompetent representatives or leaders are ever chosen. On top of having incompetent representatives, we also have disloyal ones. Currently, we are having a political crisis in Malaysia. I don't see the point of voting in the future if the winning candidate can simply jump over to another party overnight.

I admire China's political system, but unfortunately, their system may only work for them and maybe unsuitable for others. They do not have incompetent leaders at the top. All of their top leaders have proven track records in governing smaller regions. Poor performers do not get to go up and might even get demoted. I find that they have more political reforms than our so-called democratic system, which is very resistant to reforms. The Westminster system that we have inherited from the UK has so many flaws but we are mostly stuck and couldn't do much about it.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Selatan said:

What's so good about a system where mistakes are often made in choosing a representative or leader? A good system should ensure very few incompetent representatives or leaders are ever chosen. On top of having incompetent representatives, we also have disloyal ones. Currently, we are having a political crisis in Malaysia. I don't see the point of voting in the future if the winning candidate can simply jump over to another party overnight.

I admire China's political system, but unfortunately, their system may only work for them and maybe unsuitable for others. They do not have incompetent leaders at the top. All of their top leaders have proven track records in governing smaller regions. Poor performers do not get to go up and might even get demoted. I find that they have more political reforms than our so-called democratic system, which is very resistant to reforms. The Westminster system that we have inherited from the UK has so many flaws but we are mostly stuck and couldn't do much about it.

Interesting subject in its own right - But not sure if this thread is the right place to discuss it.  I do hope that Malaysia is able to get back on track - Great country with great people. 

7 hours ago, Selatan said:

They do not have incompetent leaders at the top.

although this is completely off the original topic but can't resist and say 555  .... 555 and  you win joke of the week post... I don't know what you have been taking but will take double dose (sarcasm intended)

Edited by Mavideol
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Selatan said:

What's so good about a system where mistakes are often made in choosing a representative or leader? A good system should ensure very few incompetent representatives or leaders are ever chosen. 

That "system" in a democracy is people.  There's truth about the adage "People get the governent they deserve". If they are themselves corrupt, strongmen will take advantage and buy them out. It is the people who stand to gain from the corruption that vote for their tyrants over and over again. Extremely shortsighted, one day the gravy train will drop off the rails and then you're screwed.

On 2/29/2020 at 10:23 PM, DrTuner said:

They need to organize first. Thais and organizing .. well I'm not holding my breath

That is where the "useless"social media will become useful.

58 minutes ago, jvs said:

That is where the "useless"social media will become useful.

Still, I am a sceptic. It's so easy to sit on a couch and click like and think yay, I'm the resistance, we will win this. There is anger in the air, deservedly, but will there be enough angry young men willing to rise up and put their physical body in the front line .. well it's a bit promising, but having seen the opera unfolding for over a decade, well, let's see. I have made arrangements to get out and won't be joining the fight if it gets to that, but I do wish the youth will crack it. 

• Like 1

On 2/29/2020 at 7:16 AM, dbrenn said:

time to take your medicine

• Like 2

9 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

time to take your medicine

Posters whose only contribution to a debate is ad hominem insults, rather than engaging in the subject under discussion, would be happier talking to little small children.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

Posters whose only contribution to a debate is ad hominem insults, rather than engaging in the subject under discussion, would be happier talking to little small children.

But it wasn't a fair election.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, DrTuner said:

That "system" in a democracy is people.  There's truth about the adage "People get the governent they deserve". If they are themselves corrupt, strongmen will take advantage and buy them out. It is the people who stand to gain from the corruption that vote for their tyrants over and over again. Extremely shortsighted, one day the gravy train will drop off the rails and then you're screwed.

Western-style democracy has one major weakness - any adult can vote, and all have equal votes. An idiot has the same voting power as a genius. A 90-year old suffering from severe dementia can vote. An illiterate person can vote. A blind and deaf person can vote. A criminal with dozens of convictions can vote. Whereas in China, which is a one-party state, stupid people can never join the Communist Party. Becoming a member of the CPC is not easy because of all the exams, courses, activism and other forms of evaluations involved. And yet they have 90 million members.

With a two-party system, we often end up with the parties playing seesaw with each other and nothing much gets done. A person who can lie very well would thrive in a multi-party system. Many voters are likely to vote for those with good showmanship, not how capable they are. China did adopt the American model back in 1911 but it failed terribly: