Coronavirus, What are the Odds of getting this Virus, Really?

iLuvThai

30 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

You're the one wearing a mask, saying don't worry.

Heard on LBC this morning from an expert who verified that wearing a mask, even an N95 one, WILL NOT stop the virus from entering your body if it is present unless it is fitted professionally. It WILL stop any droplets of virus laden snot from an infected person being thrown into the air.

• Like 2

What we have to go on is expert opinions (and President Trump) and this is what they are saying. With its current virulence and we are almost certainly in a pandemic situation then estimates from them are that 40 - 70 % of the population are likely to get it.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-expert-opinions/

This is really a global problem that’s not going to go away in a week or two.

What makes this one perhaps harder to control than SARS is that it may be possible to transmit before you are sick.

I think we should be prepared for the equivalent of a very, very bad flu season, or maybe the worst-ever flu season in modern times.
Prof. Marc Lipsitch
Prof. of Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health
Head, Harvard Ctr. Communicable Disease Dynamics
Feb. 11, 2020

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spiekerjozef said:

70%

I was not good in math but I am going to guess you pulled 70% out of thin air. I don't think based on the numbers that it would be 70% even if you live in China. At least not today. ????????????

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CGW said:

The odds on getting the virus appears to be highly dependant on what "group" you are in, how well your immune system is working and exposure, given that, I consider myself to be at a very low risk of contagion!

2020-02-27 17_24_17-Coronavirus Age, Sex, Demographics (COVID-19) - Worldometer - Opera.png

That are fatality rates of infected people, something completely different of what the OP is asking, which the possibility rate to get infected

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, CGW said:

The odds on getting the virus appears to be highly dependant on what "age group" you are in, how well your immune system is working and exposure, given that, I consider myself to be at a very low risk of contagion!

If I was 80+ in lousy health and a smoker I would be worried!

2020-02-27 17_24_17-Coronavirus Age, Sex, Demographics (COVID-19) - Worldometer - Opera.png

Thanks for that post. ????????????

5 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Unless you are very young, very old, or have a compromised immune system, you are very very unlikely to die from it.

Get the Flu, feel rotten, cough, get better, - end of.

The Spanish Flu - 1918 - 1920 - according to WHO had a case-fatality ratio ratio of 2-3%.

And it was a H1N1 virus, as was Swine Flu which killed up to 203,000 worldwide.

And health care in those times was abysmal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu

Am I worried - No

Am rather amused to read all the posts on this, most Doom and Gloom End of the World Baloney.

But many people live their lives in fear of something - or anything - or everything.

If in doubt, wear a Tin Foil hat, stay home with the doors locked, and stay away from the Internet. Do yourself a favor. And the rest of us.

Well that's that then - no need to listen to WHO, CDC esteemed Professors of Virology with decades of knowledge a bloke on TVF has all the answers. That said we all die in the end and if the grim reaper has your name on the bullet then that's that. And if you care so much about ignoring it why come a thread to say that. The Farang Pub is thattaway ----->

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

currently in hainan, china with a population of 8 million, and a similar climate to thailand.  they say the virus may not thrive in warmer locales.

total of 168 cases of the virus confirmed, no change for the past week.  5 dead so far, all of which have been over 70 i believe.  129 have been released from hospital, leaving 34 active cases, of which only a few are considered critical.

still mostly shut down since the lunar new year holidays, few stores are open yet.  received clearance from the provincial government this morning for 18 towns and cities to restart public buses and taxis.

Interesting your anecdotal would seem to support The Thailand's Different theory although the draconian lockdown and distance from the epicentre might also be key factors. 

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enGB778GB779&sxsrf=ALeKk00D8V2EhM4d2krD3cAitE7zMEdSjw%3A1582803207482&ei=B6lXXuyGHdeM4-EPhoihgA8&q=hainan+weather&oq=hainan%2Cwear&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0i10i70i256j0i10l9.31.687..4048...0.0..0.265.837.0j1j3......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i273j0i20i263j0.hAR36In3FeU

other points in our favor - isolation from the mainland, ferry service and flights can be restricted easily.  also low population density, as the island is mostly still agricultural with a few pockets of tourism.

slowing in other provinces as well.  liaoning and guizhou, no new cases for 9 days.  8 days for gansu.  hainan and yunnan about a week. 

• Like 1

What really are the odds of getting this coronavirus.

You are asking a question which, specifically to you, is difficult to answer.  We need to know about your lifestyle and specifically where you are going, ie public places with many people, eg hospitals, shopping malls, airports, etc.

For example: the US CDC has a web page that gives specific event (sexual intercourse with an individual who is HIV positive) life time probabilities of contracting HIV from a person who is HIV positive.  Factors such as type of sexual act and the HIV positive person's HIV viral load need to be taken into account.  If you consult the CDC data, you will see that the probability of contracting HIV from a single sexual act is, in some cases, very very low, less that 0.001% (for memory); in other cases it is high, about 5% (for memory).

If you daily frequent areas where there are people with the coronavirus, your chances of getting it are very high.  Remember, the virus is transmitted via water molecules, so any one with the virus who sneezes, perspires, or other wise expells water molecules from their body is a real threat (unless your body is 100% covered with protective attire).  The WHO suggests that a safe distance from people with the virus is about 1 metre.  Fask masks REDUCE, but do not elimate the threat; any water molecule from an infected peson which comes into contact with any part of your body are a threat.

• Like 1