Coronavirus, What are the Odds of getting this Virus, Really?

iLuvThai

On 2/27/2020 at 5:32 PM, NCC1701A said:

I would not worry about getting the virus.

i would worry about the effects of a pandemic.

Which is why I'm stocking up on Jack Daniel's now, before the panic :cowboy:

• Like 1

The death rate of 2.3% needs to be viewed with some caution. This based on deaths versus infections. But most deaths occur after a prolonged illness. If you look at deaths compared to those who have now recovered it is more like 7%. Survival also is a  reflection on the quality of your countries health system.

On  the other hand, many people are being infected but only have mild symptoms so are never tested. So the mortality rate is actually lower. Due to better epidemiology compared with a hundred years ago, the spread will probably be slowed down.. Unfortunately the likelihood of it ever dying out is pretty low, as it is so infectious. This epidemic will simmer on for some time - probably a couple of years. End result probably similar to Spanish flu.

20 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Using those numbers i.e 1 on day 1, 5 on day 2, 25 on day 3, 125 on day 4 etc then whole world would be infected between days 15 and 16 On day 15 the number is 6,203,515,625.

Thankfully it isn't spreading like that, or we all would have been infected a month ago.

Of course not everyone will infect 5 others. Though some will carry the virus and not suffer the consequences. But the idea that 1 person could infect multiple people is a real possibility. Just making the point that you can't tell someone they will be safe. Only The General knows.

On 2/27/2020 at 5:25 PM, CGW said:

The odds on surviving the virus appears to be highly dependant on what "age group" you are in, how well your immune system is working and exposure, given that, I consider myself to be at a very low risk of contagion!

If I was 80+ in lousy health and a smoker I would be worried!

2020-02-27 17_24_17-Coronavirus Age, Sex, Demographics (COVID-19) - Worldometer - Opera.png

cite your sources please and thanks

I could not agree with you more. Coronavirus is a flu. Although there is no vaccination to this kind of flu, it still just a flu. 98 of 100 people infected, recover. Same as any other person who catches a flu.

OK, so there is no vaccination for this flu, yet. But how many go every year to take the vaccination to regular flu? How many die each year from "normal" flu? Same numbers. So as you said, be careful but live your life.