Corona Virus update How is Thailand doing in containing it

realenglish1

I must confess to slowly relaxing about it all.

Living here at the end of the world woops I mean here in south Surin it's hard to maintain high levels of vigilance at all times. Noone wears masks, we brunch at PTT each morning, my b/f has already moved from washing his hands once a day to doing so at least 3 times a day, our 16-year-old niece continues to go to the local High School, the animals on the farm 40km away (including the local representatives of H. sapiens) seem as hardy as ever, Lotus still stocked up with daily requirements, haven't inquired about either face masks or hand sanitizer ...

And my library, where I spend my days, seems as pure and lovely as ever.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Failure to comply leads to rejection and banishment. 

Orwell was just wrong about the date... 

Mirrors my opinion, "talking heads" scientists, medical community to a large extent, all paid off, they know the consequences if they don't follow the "rules"

Now the "media" is driving this "pandemic" we will never know the truth!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This government at this very moment is promoting and hoping as many people as possible attend the moto gp in Buriram. That’s how good they are at dealing with the biggest biological emergency in living memory. Their incompetence will be responsible for the unpleasant death of many citizens, not that they care; maintaining power is the priority 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, dannyol said:

Thailand reporting 45 cases of Covid-19, but has 1300 cases of "viral Phenomena".  They've just decided to call it something different.

To be fair, Thailand is not alone...not that this an excuse.

The problem: testing!

There are few test packages available, they are expensive (more than 10,000 baht) and not reliable (even the CDC has admitted so).

Thus in most countries, except maybe South Korea and Italy, very few people have been tested...and that includes the US where, as of yesterday, less than 500 people had been tested!

Instead of blaming other countries for their alleged shortcomings, each country should better focused inside and upgrade its own testing procedures...

On 2/27/2020 at 10:35 AM, nausea said:

I think it's endemic. Most guys or gals won't go to a hospital, they'll just ride it out. I, personally, have had lung problems, but it's not so bad. 

your lung problems will most likely be a result of the delightful air that we breathe here.

I am currently in Spain breathing some fresh air for a few months waiting for the virus to subside, and hopefully for the pollution to clear a bit

2 hours ago, unsubscribe said:

stock up on food for a few months

555 maybe a few kg of rice.

Perhaps you live in Nakon Nowhere. Urban people don't have that kind of space. Most Thai couldn't buy groceries for two weeks let alone two months. Most farang either come to think of it.

Stores and chemists out of masks and alcohol. I'm glad it's a national priority lol.

Edited by Number 6

8 minutes ago, WhereIsMyRyeBread said:

Indeed. The survival rate for this thing is 95% even if one does contract it. 

98% and really the ones dying are the olds, ill, smokers, malnourished, weak immune systems.

Even at 60 I'm more concerned with runs on food, medicine, medical supplies and cash than I am getting sick.

2 hours ago, thequietman said:

SERIOUS EXCELLENT ADVICE by Japanese doctors treating COVID-19 cases. Everyone should ensure your mouth & throat is moist, never DRY. Take a few sips of water every 15 mins at least. WHY? Even if the virus gets into your mouth...drinking water or other liquids will WASH them down through your oesophagus and into the stomach. Once there in tummy...your stomach ACID will kill all the virus. If you don't drink enough water more regularly...the virus can enter your windpipes and into the LUNGS. 

I read somewhere that the stomach was one of the routes of infections,along with the eyes that's the reason masks alone are not totally effective.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

98% and really the ones dying are the olds, ill, smokers, malnourished, weak immune systems.

Even at 60 I'm more concerned with runs on food, medicine, medical supplies and cash than I am getting sick.

That is not the right way to calculate the mortality rate (deaths/infected).

A better way, yet not perfect, is to calculate the ratio between those who die and those who are cured (deaths/cured), which is much higher.

The reason is that among the infected there are some that will not survive and yet are counted as survivors in the first formula.

On top of that, a new issue is now coming up: patients previously considered as cured are reinfected, which is strange and yet unexplained...the first such cases are just being detected in China...

• Like 1

On 2/28/2020 at 1:15 PM, realenglish1 said:

CNN has about 500,000 audience Fox has over 3 million Seems the majority Trust Fox more than CNN

????

Time spent watching cable news channels/visiting websites:
About 38 percent watch CNN at least once daily. About 15 percent watch MSNBC daily.
About 22 percent watch Fox News daily.
About 45 percent visit CNN.com daily.
About 15 percent visit MSNBC.com daily. About 17 percent visit Foxnews.com daily.
Credibility:
62 percent find CNN to be reasonably or completely trustworthy.
49 percent find MSNBC to be reasonably or completely trustworthy. 27 percent find Fox News to be reasonably or completely trustworthy.

https://web.media.mit.edu/~a_hashmi/portfolio/audience_report_cnn_ali_hashmi_medill.pdf

2 hours ago, thequietman said:

SERIOUS EXCELLENT ADVICE by Japanese doctors treating COVID-19 cases. Everyone should ensure your mouth & throat is moist, never DRY. Take a few sips of water every 15 mins at least. WHY? Even if the virus gets into your mouth...drinking water or other liquids will WASH them down through your oesophagus and into the stomach. Once there in tummy...your stomach ACID will kill all the virus. If you don't drink enough water more regularly...the virus can enter your windpipes and into the LUNGS. 

Onions, don't forget the onions.

Apparently the virus can also enter through the eyes. Peeling onions 24 hours a day will make you cry, thus continuously flushing the virus out.

What do the Japanese doctors have to say about gastrointestinal infection? Apparently that has been seen in a few cases.

1 hour ago, nickmondo said:

your lung problems will most likely be a result of the delightful air that we breathe here.

I am currently in Spain breathing some fresh air for a few months waiting for the virus to subside, and hopefully for the pollution to clear a bit

See you in twenty years!

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

A better way, yet not perfect, is to calculate the ratio between those who die and those who are cured (deaths/cured), which is much higher.

The reason is that among the infected there are some that will not survive and yet are counted as survivors in the first formula.

On top of that, a new issue is now coming up: patients previously considered as cured are reinfected, which is strange and yet unexplained...the first such cases are just being detected in China...

There is a school of thought implying that they weren't " cured" but in some sort of dormant phase. I did read that the symptoms of a second infection are much milder. Maybe partial immunity increase?

38 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Diamond Princess is a good mile marker of what is to come.

6 dead and 10 cured of the 705 infected. 

They are mostly elderly,  but healthy and have good access to health care.

In 3 months time if you become the 10th million patient,  nobody will be around to help.

On 2/28/2020 at 1:16 PM, realenglish1 said:

I can see your cup is half empty

imagine if all the people......comes to mind.  If a single upstanding Thai female employee is affected......mmmm kisses around after sharing all the lollipops and who knows what else.

Typically, those who die were in intensive care for 10 days or more. It isn't a quick death, and that is why a month ago there were many cases but only a few who had recovered. But in reality it will be some time before we know the true death rate.

Some countries seem to have been lucky and able to track down contacts/cut new infections (is Thailand really in that category?) while others have seen epidemics explode. Given it's know infectiousness, you have to ask what countries have to gain by hiding statistics ..... meanwhile some countries are closing borders, what do they know?

Anyway, a pandemic seems likely now. If it spreads in Nigeria, Africa is in for a hard time.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Quoting 8 year old "studies" show how far you will stretch reality for your agenda.

my fault  sorry, I had even not seen it, I looked Google by sheer curiosity found this one the first answer with my telephone not my computer since I find difficult to surf the web with my telephone I did not looked further and since it was the first answer I thought in good faith the figures were correct, I apologize it was not intentionnal.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

That we prefer fair and balanced to fake news and anti Trump screeching?

Fair and balanced would be nice.  I like BBC and Al Jazeera, I get them free! Fox is entertaining and pretty much represents the privileged Republicans ideals and all the good Christians in America.  55  

• Haha 2