Last will and testament. 

notrub

Last will and testament.  Has any person had experience with this and does it work?  As an alternative to marriage I am thinking of simply legally leaving everything I have in Thailand to my GF.  That is mostly my bank account and nice, paid for, car. My house is built on land that I bought and put in her name.  I have an usufruct contract and own the house while I am alive and she will be the owner of debt free land and buildings when I am dead.  All by belongings will become hers but for the banks and car she must have legal access. I am not too keen to just give her all the money etc. while I am alive but I would like her to have it all following my death.

I am free to marry but getting the certificate is looking increasingly like an expensive pain in the bottom.  (Complicated story)  I am 71 so the grim reaper could appear at any moment (or not). I have 2 adult children and have put something aside for them in France.  Anyway, my ex wife stole almost all my money (4M Euros) and they will get that when she drops dead. 

Thanks in advance for any comments or ideas.

Easiest way is to get an English Will translated into Thai and register it at your local amphur.  Depending upon the amphur they may just assign it a serial number and record that in their official book, or may even take it and store it for you.  Have your GF check on their requirements

No need for a lawyer, just give your girlfriend a copy and she can even accompany you to the amphur, she cannot be one of your required Thai national witnesses, but most times the girls working in the office will be your witnesses

She will eventually have to employ a lawyer for Thai probate but there is no way around that, but at least you can be assured that your wishes will be carried out, if a lawyer is involved in the process after the Will is written and registered  

• Like 1

Thank you.  We (I) already have a lawyer (Isaan Lawyers, Korat) who has helped me with my usufruct and some other things.  He is Canadian and has Thai lawyers on his staff.  I trust them and would feel more comfortable if they drew up a document for me.  They are not costly for simple services compared with others I have asked in the past.   

What you say about registering it at the local amphur is very interesting and will look into that.  

How about the process of transferring money and car registration?  Is that something that a Thai lawyer looks after in probate?  Does this process really work?  What I will be leaving to her is in Thailand only and would be uncontested by my family (there is not a lot in it really, by western standards, but it will keep my Pimkarn fed for life). 

I am new at this never having died before and am grateful for your advice.

Only additional advice I can give you is; do not allow a Thai lawyer to prepare and store you Will for you.  Prepare, yes store, no, since you won't be around to contest it.  Very easy for an unscrupulous lawyer to prepare and sign another Will if they have the original.  The Amphur system prevents this, and is the reason many lawyers will discourage you from using them

I have a distaste for lawyers generally, absolutely no trust for Thai lawyers specifically   

• Like 1

Thank you.  Funny to think about not being around to object to how events will unfold.  Will go to the bank during the week and see what they have to offer from their end too.

I have had some unfortunate experiences with lawyers and, in France, Notaires and join you in your regard for this group of often self serving persons.